iPhone issue - touch screen no longer responds

joink

Jul 6, 2007
I purchased my iPhone yesterday afternoon and activated it that night. After a couple hours of playing with it, the iPhone locked like it usually does after a minute. When I attempted to unlock, the phone didn't respond to my finger sliding the arrow. I simultaneously held the sleep and the home buttons for 10 seconds. At that point, I was given another option to turn the phone off, or cancel, but again, the phone isn't responding to my finger on the touch screen.

I have since done a full restore through iTunes, wiping the phone clean. This did not solve the problem. My question is, is there something stupid I am missing? I am planning on taking it to the Apple store this morning but I don't want to look like a fool if there's something I can do to easily fix this. Thanks

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I would try one more hard reset and one more restore from iTunes. They will probably try the same things when you take it to the Apple store. It can't hurt and it might help.

- SR

iMarc

Jun 22, 2007
Touch screen stopped responding

My touch screen has stopped responding as well. No matter which finger I use, speed, approach or pressure. I haven't even dropped it yet. Restored it twice and I've tried hard resets over and over. Nothing fixes it. 3000 miles from home in a city without an Apple store or a cell phone. This sucks.

ant76ers

Jun 28, 2007
This is how u fixx all touchscreen or non responding problems!

Many have problems with the lock on the iPhone, don't panic :sick: n don't drive 3000 miles to an Apple store :( ..Its easy and simple....Its just like an iPod, hold on unlock button on the top of the phone then the home button also similar to the ipod....now hold down the the buttons for like 20-30 seconds...depending on how much storage u have it may take a minute...the the famous Apple logo will appear....your almost their :) ....just let it think...and their u go safe at home!:cool:

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I had this problem the second day i Had mine ( had mine since 29) what fixed it? I just gave it a full charge, haven't had a problem since. it started happening when I had red battery. So i dunno if that was it.

iMarc

Jun 22, 2007
Not all problems can be fixed with a restart, hard reset or restore.

My iPhone that no longer responded to fingers wasn't fixable. Apple Store replaced it today. I wasn't the only iPhoner in line. Remember to make an appointment if you have to head to the Genius Bar.

Quilliam

Jul 8, 2007
Had something similar happen and a hard reset solved it.

Was just about to head back to Apple when I realized, wonder if a reset will solve problems like on my ipod or any computer :)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Had something similar happen and a hard reset solved it.

Was just about to head back to Apple when I realized, wonder if a reset will solve problems like on my ipod or any computer :)
I would give that a chance first, but if it doesn't help, it might be time to make a trip to the Apple store.

Ric79

Jul 10, 2007
'Slide to Answer' fails to answer

Have had iPhone since July 3rd and have had no problems. Phone calls in and out. SMS msgs in and out. This evening the wife calls me and the touchscreen says, 'Slide to Answer', and the phone was vibrating away. Well the phone was locked up. :mad: Could not answer and could not turn off the phone. It continued to viberate. Pressing the off button and the home button for 20-seconds didn't work either.
Placed the phone back on the dock as it's still vibrating away and still locked down tight. iTunes became hung in a sync mode. Forced quit iTunes and halted the sync when iTunes reactivated. Forced a factory restore of the iPhone. Once complete had the iPhone resyned from my last backup.
Made two calls and had one phone call returned. The slider function worked. What caused the lock-up? Don't know. But I sure am glad for the restore option. :)

pkkaiser

Jul 10, 2007
I had the same problem...

Spoke to a "Genius" at the Apple Store who says this is a corrupt contacts issue. I asked how I can tell what contact is corrupt and he said there is no way. So I outputted all my contacts as vCards, deleted them all, reimported them into the Address Book then synced to the iPhone with replace iPhone as the option in iTunes. So far so good. My phone would do really weird things (eg. voice mail screen blinks on and off like static then goes blank, activation slider would go to left but then the whole phone freezes). Apple Store says this is a software issue and will not do anything about it.

gooch

Jul 6, 2007
Sometimes you just have to be patient with 1st generation products. An update is sure to come. The price we all pay to be on the bleeding edge of technology.

RTOIPHONE

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I had the same problem...

Spoke to a "Genius" at the Apple Store who says this is a corrupt contacts issue. I asked how I can tell what contact is corrupt and he said there is no way. So I outputted all my contacts as vCards, deleted them all, reimported them into the Address Book then synced to the iPhone with replace iPhone as the option in iTunes. So far so good. My phone would do really weird things (eg. voice mail screen blinks on and off like static then goes blank, activation slider would go to left but then the whole phone freezes). Apple Store says this is a software issue and will not do anything about it.

I had the same problem today and did not remember this thread. I called Apple support and they were great. Held the home button and sleep button for about 20 seconds and the Apple logo came up and about in about another 30sec everything was working. I was told this was a software bug and and an update was coming soon.