iPhone Jailbreak: The Reveal (with screenshots)

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Okay, I've gone through my first week with my jailbroken iPhone 3G 16GB. I researched quite a bit beforehand and was constantly changing my mind on whether to go through with this or not. Well, finally last weekend, I did. Now I wonder why I didn't do it sooner!

Since I run Windows Vista 64-bit on my PC, I simply followed the instructions at this site using QuickPwn 2.1, and within 10-15 minutes, I was golden.

NOTE: If you are using the original iPhone (non-3G), use these instructions only.

The first application that I installed was Intelliscreen. The first screenshot image (shown below) is of the lock screen with Intelliscreen. This is what shows when you wake up your phone from sleep mode. Notice the tiny bubbled exclamation icon on the top status bar indicating that I have some unread text (SMS) messages, and the tiny phone icon indicating that I have a missed call(s) and that I have a voicemail(s). One dot is for missed calls and two dots are for missed calls and unheard voicemails. There is also a tiny envelope icon indicating that I have unread email.

I can also toggle the battery indicator to change from the traditional graphic image or to a numeric percentage charged indicator of the power remaining—which is the mode I chose.

Each section of the lock screen (calendar, email, weather, etc.) is completely scrollable. The sections are highly customizable. You can add/remove sections. Other sections include sports, news, RSS feeds, etc.

Oh, by the way, thanks to the EIC moderator "Lincoln" for the tip on how to capture a screenshot of the lock screen.

The next screenshot is of my home screen, complete with one of my own photographs used for wallpaper. I used Winterboard for that feature. Winterboard allows you to skin your iPhone in countless ways using various themes that you can download. Right now, I'm only using it for the background wallpaper. Also, notice the Cydia icon. This is where all the magic happens! From Cydia, you can install hundreds (thousands?) of applications.

Below is another view of my screen (this one from page two [of seven]). Notice the Cycorder icon. This was the second jailbreak application I installed. I can now shoot video with the iPhone camera! It creates rather large *.MOV files, but at least I can record video! Take note of another icon, BossPrefs. I’ll show a screenshot of that later.

My SSH terminal window in landscape mode (this app is called "MobileTerminal"):

Cycorder video recorder:

Here are some of the many configuration toggle switches that Boss Prefs provides. Be sure to keep SSH turned off when not in use. Not only is leaving it on a security issue, but it will drain your battery faster. My only gripe about Boss Prefs is that there is no toggle for Location Services (GPS). Is there a Boss Prefs Services add-in that someone has created to do this? If so, please let me know.

Another change I made (that I can't show) is I changed my new mail sound to something cooler than the default sound. I did this with the help of this thread.

In summary, I'm very satisfied with my JailBreaking experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Congrats! I would love to have that kind of information on my lock screen, but haven't had a strong urge to jailbreak my 3G. And I would love a video recorder, too. Stability is of the utmost importance to me, and my experience with my first-gen jailbroken iPhone wasn't inspiring in this regard, so that's what's holding me back now. How has the stability of your iPhone been since you jailbroke it?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Great job on the jailbreak.

As for BossPrefs, give SBsettings a try. It's a newer app that was released by BigBoss. It gives you access to all the same stuff as bossprefs but lets you do it while you are in an app. So if you open Safari and realize you don't have 3g on you can toggle it on with the flick of a finger.

Have fun your phone!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
come on macgirl just go ahead and do it! My phone is as stable as when it was new. It has a little lag but as long as you let it load properly you shouldn't have any problems. I'm going on the same jailbreak for 2 months now.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
come on macgirl just go ahead and do it! My phone is as stable as when it was new. It has a little lag but as long as you let it load properly you shouldn't have any problems. I'm going on the same jailbreak for 2 months now.
I am tempted, but I'm also really looking forward to the next firmware update which sounds like it will include some neat features. It would be just my luck to jailbreak my iPhone and have the update come out the next day. :mad: :p

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
if you jailbreak and a new firmware does come out the next day just go ahead and update, all that will happen is it will wipe all the jailbreaking stuff off your phone.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
if you jailbreak and a new firmware does come out the next day just go ahead and update, all that will happen is it will wipe all the jailbreaking stuff off your phone.
It would probably be a good idea to restore before updating.

On a different note, I don't care for jailbreaking anymore. I've jail broken every firmware since 1.0.2 (up to 2.0) and really enjoyed it. I just can't get past the lag anymore. On 1.x.x versions it didn't seem as bad, but since 2.0 the phone doesn't seem as snappy even when not jail broken. It just males it seem even worse when you have any extra lag to deal with.

I'm not bashing or trying to discourage anyone, just presenting both sides for those who are still in limbo. If you're unsure you should definitely try it for yourself as it really is harmless on all accords.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hmm.. IntelliScreen's calendar notifications are pressuring to me bring that to my widgets.. trial & error time.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
How has the stability of your iPhone been since you jailbroke it?
No worse than it was before. Before JB'ing, I usually had a crash or two in some apps. Sarfari would crash more than the others. After JB'ing, it seems about the same.

As for BossPrefs, give SBsettings a try. It's a newer app that was released by BigBoss. It gives you access to all the same stuff as bossprefs but lets you do it while you are in an app. So if you open Safari and realize you don't have 3g on you can toggle it on with the flick of a finger.
Thanks! I'll check it out tonight.

I just can't get past the lag anymore. On 1.x.x versions it didn't seem as bad, but since 2.0 the phone doesn't seem as snappy even when not jail broken. It just males it seem even worse when you have any extra lag to deal with.
I really hardly notice any lag. If there is any lag, it's when I open SMS to view a conversation, but it's not that bad (and it only happens once in a while).

In Intelliscreen, there is a settings section called, "Performance". In there there is a toggle switch called, "App Launch Boost". This improves all application launch times. There is a second toggle switch called, "WinterBrd in All Apps". It says, "By enabling WinterBoard in all applications, application launch times will be slightly slower." Needless to say, I have this disabled. ;)