iPhone keeps going back to Home screen

1. Usual21

Usual21 New Member

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. When using my iPhone, it sometimes jumps back to the home screen on it's own. it's done this while in the albums in the iPod section, while in Maps and and while editing contacts. I know that I'm not accidentally hitting the button. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

2. cmiphone

cmiphone New Member

I too would like to know, it happens here once in a while...

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. TitansFan

TitansFan New Member

Mine will do the same thing. Sometimes Safari will quit suddenly as well.

5. Maaz

Maaz New Member Silver

yes that means that the application that you were using crashed, it just looks like as if you pressed the Home button on accident but the application crashed.

6. mango

mango New Member Bronze

Sounds like U might need to do a soft re-boot.

--Mango--

7. lawgone

lawgone New Member

Mine too...really bad

I got my iPhone Tuesday July 3rd and it was great. July 4th it jumped out of applications a couple times and went to home screen. By Thursday July 5th it was crashing all the time. I have rebooted a couple times and that seems to make it better but eventually it starts crashing again. I'll go to play a song and it will play 5 seconds then crash. I'm going to exchange it today. Hopefully, I just got a bad one. I'll follow up on how my 2nd one is.

8. Silverado

Silverado New Member Bronze

I got this many times too.

Oh the benefits of a real OS :) Apps seem to be crashing more than a Treo (out of the box), but it is MUCH LESS painful to the user since all they see is going back to home screen rather than waiting for the phone to restart.

It's also reporting these crashes to Apple when you sync. I hope they read them (unlike in Microsoft's case).

9. lawgone

lawgone New Member

I wouldn't mind the occasional crash here and there but mine is to the point that it is unusable. Luckily, it's never crashed on a phone call but music and video can be watched maybe 25% of the time without crashing. It will be interesting to see what happens when I take it to Apple. How'd you know they are being reported to Apple? I hope that is the case and they fix the software very soon.

10. Silverado

After the first time it happened, iTunes asked me if I would allow it to send some information to Apple to improve the product (there was a checkbox that says "don't ask me in the future"). I clicked on a button to see more details and read the files that were being sent. They were detailed lists of the programs that were running and where (in the code) they crashed.

11. lawgone

lawgone New Member

Interesting. Mine has yet to do that during a sync. Wish it would! :)

12. Silverado

Do you think you might have accepted to alert the first time without paying too much attention to it? The checkbox for not asking in the future is checked by default.

13. lawgone

lawgone New Member

I don't think one has ever come up. Although it's possible it did and I was typing something else and accidentally hit it - but that seems unlikely. I'll have to check my iTunes settings though and see if my preferences have been changed.

14. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot Gold

Completely shut it down and you should be okay. Don't just put it to sleep; rather shut it down by holding the power button until the slider comes up to power it off.

Once you power it back on, your problem should be gone.

15. Silverado

If you're using a PC, look in the following location for the files being sent. Make sure you change the stuff between angle brackets.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<your iPhone's name>

16. lawgone

lawgone New Member

I've already done that several times. Like I said, it fixes it for awhile (a few minutes) but then it starts crashing again...and again and again.

17. lawgone

lawgone New Member

Awesome...will do when I get home later. Thanks!

18. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot Gold

Don't just put it to sleep. Make sure you completely power it off.

19. lawgone

lawgone New Member

Yes, I've done that...completely off.

20. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot Gold

Then you've got phone issues. I would consider returning it.

21. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member Silver

Yup, it's happened to me while editing contacts. It doesn't happen often, but it was annoying.