iPhone like/dislike based on previous cell phone, agree?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I'd like to get some feedback on something I was thinking about. It seems to me that generally, most peoples' like/dislike or satisfication/dissatisfication of the iPhone is based a lot on what cell phone they had previously.

My old phone (motorola v551) was terrible. It dropped calls sometimes 2 or 3 times in a 10 minute conversation. Had limited features. The camera was probably .02 megapixels and really sucked. Video clips sucked. Didn't have any kind of music player.

The only things that I miss from that phone are: being able to set ring "profiles" and select different ringers and sound levels for new texts etc. Sending mass texts (really miss this). Not having picture messaging (don't miss all that much).

So for me, the iPhone is like getting a brand new computer in 2007, after using a computer from 1997 for the last 2.5 years. But people that have had blackberries or other pda's are probably left rather unimpressed. Anyone agree?

cj sparrow

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Colorado
iPhone vs the Razr v3

I agree. Our likes and dislikes are relative and based on our previous phones. My last cell phone was a razr v3 which I used for 2 years. It was one of the best phones I have ever owned. Rugged, fairly easy to use, and reliable. It did not drop calls like my other phones and I could easily set my ringtones and add new ones.

So, when I purchased the iPhone, it had a tough act to follow. I am totally satisfied with my iPhone (well almost, I still miss my custom ringtones). It is just a rugged as the razr, easier to use (it is a lot easier to find settings and get to features than the razr), has equally good call reception and reliability in my area (in fact some areas like work the iPhone is better), has comparable battery life for the way I use my phone, has a better camera, and is a whole lot better to do text messaging on than the razr.

So, in my case, I went from a very good phone to a great phone.

cj sparrow

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree. Our likes and dislikes are relative and based on our previous phones. My last cell phone was a razr v3 which I used for 2 years. It was one of the best phones I have ever owned. Rugged, fairly easy to use, and reliable. It did not drop calls like my other phones and I could easily set my ringtones and add new ones.

So, when I purchased the iPhone, it had a tough act to follow. I am totally satisfied with my iPhone (well almost, I still miss my custom ringtones). It is just a rugged as the razr, easier to use (it is a lot easier to find settings and get to features than the razr), has equally good call reception and reliability in my area (in fact some areas like work the iPhone is better), has comparable battery life for the way I use my phone, has a better camera, and is a whole lot better to do text messaging on than the razr.

So, in my case, I went from a very good phone to a great phone.

cj sparrow
why do you miss your custom ringtones? search the forum, if you haven't already, there is a modification out to where you can add mp3 ringtones to your phone. There is a thread giving step by step instructions with photos for adding songs as ringtones. It's really not all that difficult of a process, but still harder than if Apple would have given us the ability out of the box.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Motorola Q vs. iPhone

No contest, the iPhone is the winner by a landslide.

Battery Life: I can go 1.5-2 days without a charge on the iPhone and that's with moderate to heavy use. I do have my brightness lowered to about 20% and don't have my email automatically checking. The Q-I was lucky to make it through an 8 hour work day without a charge and that was on less use than the iPhone.

Operation: The iPhone does have some quirks. Safari crashes from time to time and occasionally the phone gets non responsive. Usually a reboot cures this. The Q was atrocious. If I had a couple applications open it would go from slow to downright sluggish. I thought the big advantage of Windows Mobile phones was the multitasking abilities. But if my phone is going to be that slow and battery drain that fast, I'll do without.

Features: iPhone wins by a landslide. The Q does most of what the iPhone does. But I have not seen any phone play music or video the way the iPhone does. I do miss the ability to stream music from the internet. Hopefully this will be fixed. Listening to mp3's or WMA files on the stripped down Windows Media Player was painful on the Q. Pocket Internet Explorer was horrible and slow even on a 3G data connection. It loaded WAP pages quite quickly but full html pages were quite slow loading. Even on the AT&T EDGE network non WAP pages seem to load in a decent time. The Email program is not quite as good as Outlook on the Q. Hopefully the ability to store files on the iPhone and attach files to emails will be added.

All in all I'm very happy with the iPhone. Maybe now I will actually keep a phone for my full contract term.

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
I had the cingular 2125 overall I love the iPhone a million times better. The only thing I wish iPhone had that windows mobile has is cut copy and paste and saving files etc. But even if iPhone never gets these features its still a much better phone hands down

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I am totally satisfied with my iPhone (well almost, I still miss my custom ringtones).

cj sparrow
There is a very easy program that you can get called iPhoneRingToneMaker which easily lets you put custom ringtones on your phone without going through the hacking process. There is a trial that lets you put on 3 ringtones for free, and for unlimited it costs $10. I ended up buying it - I was able to put on 20 ringtones from my own MP3s in 20 minutes. You can pick any part of the song too and it's very easy. Highly recommended.

Sorry to get off topic, I just thought that you would be happy to hear this :)

As far as my previous phone, I had the 3.2 megapixel Samsung A990 from Verizon, which was (and I think still is) the best camera phone in the nation right now. It was very easy to use and reliable.

The iPhone is 100 times better and I'm completely happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I love my iPhone but I've had lots of heavy hitter competition before it. Let's see: Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, RAZR, Nokia 7650, Nokia E61, HTC TyTn (almost the same as Cingular 8525), Treo 700p, Treo 700w, Treo 750v, Treo 680, Motorola Q.

Wouldn't trade the iPhone for any of them or anything else. Yes, there are features I'd like and a few bugs (most of them) minor. But the iPhone is a world apart from the previous phones. I LIKE the iPhone. After the novelty of any of the others wore off, there were always constant frustrations, bugs, or workarounds needed.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Of course it's subjective to what you're coming out of...imagine driving a Hyundai and then getting into a Lexus. You'd think the Lexus was tops until you drove a Mercedes...anyway, i hate cars but i love my iPhone ten times as much as i liked the Treo 600 before it and a hundred times more than the Sony W600i before that.

I still use the Treo for businesss, but the thought of web browsing on it reminds me of my first dial up desktop...

...almost there...loading...loading...signs of life?....crash! remove the battery...power up...the moment's lost.

or worse yet, the page would load and just as it was complete, the phone rang. no quick return to where you were or what you were doing...everything was back to square one.

with the sony, i had to remember what up does, what left does, what right does...i go to add a contact and i've got a camera. i go to take a photo and i've got my call log. the iPhone keeps it simple. touch the picture that represents what you want to do. i like that.

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I had a Rzr V3 as well as a Blackberry 7280 just before I got this phone. There really is no comparison. I really have no complaints about the iPhone. Sure there are things I'd like to have fixed, but I know they're coming. The iPhone has better reception, more features, it's easier to use than any BB, it's hella fun, and it's just great. Although I was originally disliking the fact that I had to pay extra for a required data plan, I don't mind it now because it forced me to do something I had always wanted to. iPhone beats any other mobile device I've ever owned.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Actually, I'd have to disagree. My opinion is more based upon my expectations. Luckily I didn't fall into the hype trap - A2DP, GPS, video, etc. I didn't let my expectations get out of hand. And Apple (mostly*) didn't fall below my expectations but it didn't really exceed them either.

A lot of people's expectations however ARE clouded by their experience with various other phones. So maybe for the masses your feelings are partially true.

*I did expect to be able to use my normal headphones to listen to music without modifying them and without an adapter though. That would explain why Im so pissed off about the recessed jack.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I used a RAZR for the last two years as well. I do miss the ease of placing voice activated calls on my bluetooth device. OF all the things the iPhone does, that's the one thing I wish they could improve. Voice activation should be standard on any cell phone today. That's the only thing that allows you to keep your eyes on the road instead of the keyboard.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I'm a phone enthusiast and I've been through so many cellphones so I'm pretty sure I know a good phone from a bad one and this one is definitely a phone I like out of the other phones I've owned. I've had the Motorola Razr, Pebl, Rokr E1, Slvr L7, Razr V3i, A732, A1200, Rizr Z3, Rokr E6, Nokia 8800 and Nokia 6110 Navigator. Even though the price of the iPhone doesn't feel like it's worth it (since it's missing some important features), for some reason the iPod, touch screen features, WiFi and full website (real looking internet) has me SOLD for it's price. I like it better than my previous phones because it's so different, I've never owned a iPod so it's already a huge upgrade for me, plus the touch screen features alone just demolish every other phone out in the market. The size is perfect, huge LCD screen with it's sleek shape, nothin more you can ask for in a phone if you want stylish, simple and executive all in one. However I do miss little things like, stereo speakers for speakerphone and playing music without headphones, 3G, MMS, AIM, swapping SIM cards to use different phones each day, integrated GPS, and ringer profiles. But nothing that can't be improved by Apple in the future. Overall I'm impressed with it's performance over my other phones, battery life is good, appeal is great, I'm still loving it as much as I did the first day I got it at the Apple Store.