Iphone linked to girlfriends icloud

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by Noah8219, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Noah8219

Noah8219 New Member

My girlfriend has an iPhone 7 and I have a 6s and sometimes for some reason I get her txts and visa Versa how do I remove hers and how could this have happened ?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Each of you should log out of your respective iCloud accounts on your Phones (do this by going to Settings > iCloud). Then log back in. Make sure that both of you use a unique Apple ID. To put it another way, do not share the same Apple ID.

#2 Rafagon, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can still share the same iTunes ID. But iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's should be your own.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You can share the same iTunes ID with your girlfriend, but I don’t think she’s allowed to download copies of songs, movies, and apps that you purchased.

Apple only allows you to have content purchased from iTunes on a maximum of ten devices (up to five of which can be computers), but they have to be YOUR devices, not your wife's (or wives’, if you have more than one).

Otherwise, there would be nothing keeping Joe Schmoe and Mary McMurphy from using my Apple ID and getting content for free just because I’m allowing them to use my Apple ID.

If you want to share content with your spouses, then technically you have to get one of the Family Plans that Apple offers.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can as long as there's trust. My Wife and I share the same iTunes ID. So we can share apps, music, books, etc. Free or paid. We can even share the in app purchases. You can't do that with Family Sharing.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm not an expert on the legality or lack thereof of what you and your wife are doing, but I don't think the legal status of that practice is determined by the presence or absence of trust.

Not that I blame you! Heck, if I buy a song, I would definitely let my wife use my iTunes ID to get a copy of the same song. Two married people would not buy two copies of the same CD, so I see no reason why the same shouldn't apply to digitally purchased music!

So share away!

7. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Continuing on the slightly OT path: There are five of us on Family Sharing. We can access any content purchased by any of us on the plan. When you select 'Purchased' in Updates, you see 'My Purchases' along with those of the rest of your family under their own headings, e.g., Wife, Son1, Son2, etc.

8. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Another thing you want to make sure of is that your separate Apple ID's also have separate credit cards associated with them. I had all manner of problems with my wife's and my Apple ID's remaining separate until I changed credit cards on my account. That sorted it out.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I never said anything about legalities. There's nothing illegal about sharing an iTunes ID. If Apple didn't want to allow it, they could stop it. Many people do that. Family Sharing is a bit much for only 2 people. And each member still has to pay separately for in app purchases.