iPhone lockup/hang constantly

pedxing

Aug 4, 2007
I just got a new 8 GB iPhone from my wife as a gift. What a great girl!

Anyway, I'm totally disappointed. It locks up constantly - totally hung. No controls work. I reset it and maybe 1 time in 10 it works for a while and then stops responding again.

I've now restored it 5 times on two different computers. Still not working...

I'm going to call Apple support, and I'm sure they'll have me swap it out for a new one at the Apple store, which is 2 hours from here. I'm just so disappointed that the great gadget I got is a dud.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

EDIT: First Apple rep tried to blame AT&T, saying they're "down all weekend" which I seriously doubt is true. She's escalating the call...

UPDATE2: Second Apple guy also tried to blame AT&T and said it wasn't "totally activated" even though it seemed to work. But it completely worked, and for a good amount of time (maybe an hour standby and 10 or 15 minutes of use on two or three separate occasions today) so it did activate. After I explained that it's totally unresponsive (even the pretty animations don't work) he agrees that it has some seriously weird problem. I've restored it about 12 times now on two different computers!

UPDATE3: They're going to swap it out Monday at the Apple store, which is 2 hours away... Not good, but what can you do? I put the SIM from the deceased iPhone in my BlackBerry 8700 and I'm back up and running with voice and data, so at least I'm not dead in the water until Monday.

pedxing

Aug 4, 2007
I'm beginning to wonder if it might be an activation problem... See, out of curiosity, I put the SIM from my Cingular BlackBerry in the iPhone. Predictably, it popped up some kind of "wrong SIM" message. But then it worked! It connected to WiFi and I was able to do everything except call and sync.

So either it really is waiting for AT&T's servers (and they really are down) or maybe the wrong SIM message causes it to bypass whatever really is wrong with the thing - like maybe the radio chip or SIM reader or something.

No matter - I'll exchange it anyway, since it's definitely flaky!