iPhone Loudness & Clarity

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
Not to sound elementary, but do the people who are having problems hearing know that to turn up the headset volume, you must be in a call? Turning it up while you're not on a call just turns up the ringer. I couldn't hear that well at first so I had my gf call me so that I could turn up the headset volume. Works fine now.
I would hope that anyone who spends 600 dollars on a phone could figure out how to turn up the volume.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I noticed that when not in a call, the volume is for the ringer, and when in a call, the vol is for the phonecall, and when in speakerphone mode, the vol is for the speaker. Just noticed that, hope it helps anyone else. Took me a while to find that out.:p

moonwally

Jun 30, 2007
Mine is almost too loud when adjusted to full volume. I was in a noisy restaurant today for lunch and could hear just fine. Some have complained, but I have to wonder if they turned the volume up or not. It is only about half way by default.
I hope that's the case. I have a Krazr now and it's so low, I can hardly hear it. I'm hoping the iPhone sounds a lot louder & clearer.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I noticed that when not in a call, the volume is for the ringer, and when in a call, the vol is for the phonecall, and when in speakerphone mode, the vol is for the speaker. Just noticed that, hope it helps anyone else. Took me a while to find that out.:p
I think people are not that retarded.
The iPhone volume is very usable, but quiet compared to my moto hansets. It has nothing to do with a volume setting, it just isn't that loud. Period.

dolo

Jun 29, 2007
NYC
Position of the ear piece makes a big difference as well

I still feel the volume is a bit light. I would expect Apple update this to provide more of a range for users.

I too was stumped when I realized the left rocker has 3 functions based on the 3 uses - but we shoulda known that right :)

Speaker phone isn't that great. But to my title - once on a call, slide the phone around your ear till you find that sweet spot. There is noticeable gains and losses simply by moving the phone around a 1/4".

Regards,
dolo

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm praying that Apple can release a firmware upgrade, and soon, to allow us to increase both the earphone and speakerphone volumes. I'm thinking that maybe they capped the max volumes in the firmware to save battery life?
If it's anything like the V3 I have, the volume can be increased, if necessary, through a software update.

Hattrick

Jun 26, 2007
I haven't had the volume on call issue - but did miss two calls while eating lunch at a busy cafe. The ringtone volume is poor and I didn't feel it vibrate.

Guess I'll have to leave it on the table next time - but that will suck when it becomes a critical work situation - not tee times for golf tomorrow.