iPhone Mail Download issues

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

znino

Sep 27, 2007
Hi,

I have my iPhone set to poll my pop mail account. I use the pop mail server from the domain my mail is hosted with. All works well and I get the emails I expect to get, either over Edge or over Wifi. For sending mail I go through a gmail account and spoof my reply-to address because I was having lots of problems using my own domain's SMTP outgoing server (was very slow....using GMails SMTP server is instantaneous).

My problem is as follows. I have, for data usage reasons turned Edge OFF. If I am connected to a Wifi hotspot and poll for mail, all of it comes in including attachements, images, full HTML etc. That's great. Then I turn Wifi OFF or I go to a spot that has no Wifi. I look in my inbox and try to open one of the emails I had just seen (downloaded?) and all i see is the header. The HTML, pictures, attachments are GONE. I first see a little moving circle and the text LOADING and after a few seconds, the body of the email says "THIS MESSAGE HAS NOT BEEN DOWNLOADED FROM THE SERVER". Of course, I had just seen it while I was attached on Wifi. It is almost like the email client is NOT actually downloading the email/attachments to my phone but simply letting me see them live while I am on an active internet connection.

This is quite annoying as it would mean that I can't go and read an email with attachment when I am not able to access my mail server live? What if I am on a plane or in a place without wifi and want to go back and read that mail? Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting to actually download the mail information INTO the phone locally?

Thanks!

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Did you just see the header (the first 2 lines) of the mail in your email list while connected to wi-fi? Or did you actually open the mail and view the attachment?

znino

Sep 27, 2007
Did you just see the header (the first 2 lines) of the mail in your email list while connected to wi-fi? Or did you actually open the mail and view the attachment?
when connected with wifi, the whole mail downloads. if it is an word attachment, for example, i download the whole thing and can read the whole document. If it is a HTML mail (advertisement or something with lots of pictures and links), the whole thing is visible in the mail application (while connected to WIFI). After I am no longer on wifi, I don't see the body of that mail, just a notice that the mail has NOT been downloaded!