iPhone Making Other Equipment Buzz

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
Anyone else have this problem after 1.1.1 update? Whenever my iPhone is near anything with a speaker, it causes the other device to make an intermittent buzzing sound. I first noticed it when I used my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones (buzzing in the headphones). Then on the speakers of my car stereo without the iPhone plugged into anything (just stting on the dash). Now as it sits next to my computer, there's an intermittent buzzing from the computer speakers - again, iPhone not hooked up to anything just sitting on the desk about a foot away.

Anyone else or just me?

Thx!

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's the phone's RF, or radio frequency I believe and if you have used a BB you are all to familiar with it.

Oh, and it isn't going away.. just imagine conference calls where everyone in the room or on the call has a BB, which does it quite frequently due to the frequent data interaction.

Best thing you can do is just give the phone some distance from speakers.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
ALL GSM phones do this. Borrow a very common RAZR and put it near your computer. Send a text message to it, or place a call with the ringer on silent. Same thing... normal operation.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
Even when a cell phone isn't receiving a message or call, it will regularly "handshake" with the cell system, exchanging an electronic sort of "I'm here, are you here?"

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
ALL GSM phones do this. Borrow a very common RAZR and put it near your computer. Send a text message to it, or place a call with the ringer on silent. Same thing... normal operation.
Interesting......if it is a GSM thing, then that explains it as this is my first GSM phone. I only had CDMA previously and my Treo 700w never did this during the two years I had it.

Thanks all for the replies guys, much appreciated!

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
In my previous post I confirmed that even the 1.02 ver did this. However, the new 1.1.1 does it worse. With 1.02 I got the buzz when it was next to my phone, but I could put it right on top of my Bose Wave clock radio. Ver 1.1.1 buzzes anywhere within two feet of the Bose. Something is different.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
That would explain why I have never heard this buzzing before. The iPhone is my first GSM phone.

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
the software updates has nothing to do with it. The iPhone has bad radiation leaks. Keep it away for your brain, nuts, and your pacemaker.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
This is normal for GSM phones, My Razor used to do it a lot as well, even if there was no incoming call or sms. You'lljust get used to keep the phone at least 4 or 5 feet away from stuff.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
As an aside, a lot of people think the buzz is from a radio frequency harmonic. But it's not. It actually comes from the radio turning on and off at an audible rate.

GSM is based on all phones sharing radio frequencies. These frequencies are in the hundreds of MHz. Within any frequency, a phone will get to have a short transmission slice (varying in size) about 217 times a second. It sends something, then goes dead so other phones can send/receive.

So when in use, the transmitter turns on and off a couple hundred times a second. It's this burst of energy at a on/off rate low enough for humans to hear, that causes the buzz.

Here's a rough analogy:

Think of your home, with 60Hz AC power. You don't usually hear the 60 Hz on/off because most of your equipment is designed for surpressing it. That's the equivalent of your cell phone transmission frequency (which is actually in the MHz range). It doesn't bother you.

But let's say someone outside used a fast circuit breaker to turn off/on your entire house power. There'd be a power pulse each time they did it, and THAT power surge would cause a buzz in your neighbor's radios.

It's the transmitter on/off cycle that causes the buzz.

Jul 22, 2007
I realize that the update didn't cause the buzz, but it certainly did cause it to affect more electronic equipment. It is worse after the update.
Your not losing your mind because my iPhone is worse now with the update. I'm glad you confirmed that I'm not alone. I'm sure some genius will tell us it is all in your mind but I'm 100% sure that after I updated the buzzing occurred more often. I use to be able to disable my email accounts and I would only occasionally get the buzzing as the phone switched cell towers. Now I get it constantly.