iPhone Nano - Which features will be missing?

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's been a while since we had iPhone Nano reports, but since the 3G has come out, the UK's Daily Mail is the first to have something a little more concrete than pure speculation: Apple to launch the iPhone 'nano' in time for Christmas

It says O2 will have it for £150 ($296 US) for pay-as-you-go customers.

So, how would that translate to AT&T in the states? I can see the price staying about same - $299 for the device, but you pay month-by-month with no contract. I can see a LOT of people loving this.

But, with the flexibility of having no contract, which features from the iPhone 3G will the iPhone Nano NOT have?

The only thing I didn't like about the Daily Mail report is the idea of a touch wheel on the back and the normal display on the front. :confused: That just seems WEIRD.

Well, first of all, it's probably going to be smaller given past reports about a smaller form factor on the horizon: Is This the New iPhone’s Touchscreen?

If the iLounge report (with picture) is to be believed, then the Nano will sacrifice about a half inch off the current screen size. Not bad.

I'm guessing the Nano will NOT have GPS. That's an easy one to scratch off.

The Nano should probably come with a camera, since that's a given on most mobile phones these days.

Perhaps no native iPod functions? That would make it easier to still market the 32GB iPod Touch. If there's no iPod on the phone, then I can see a 4GB or 8GB model.

Although some reports have said that the Nano would NOT have the internet, I highly doubt that. Perhaps not 3G speeds though. Maybe EDGE speed with the same current battery. That would solve battery problems for many users. Wi-Fi is a given.

So, with the internet you can still stream video and music although probably not at 3G speeds.

I'm sure Nano owners will still have access to normal App Store apps.

I'm also guessing with LESS features the software for the Nano should be more stable than the 3G. And that's just a guess.

So, my guess for the Nano - No GPS, no iPod, no 3G. About the same price as a 16GB 3G ($299) but with no contract. I can even see the price being even lower like $199-$250 since there could be no GPS and 3G radios in them.

What do you think?

tzhourdeka

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I doubt they will make one, if they do then I won't buy it.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I think the iPod feature of the phone is part of what makes it an iPhone. Without it, the device is no longer a part of the iPod product line and instead just a phone with internet capability. Additionally, I don't think they'd want to cut off the revenue stream that exists as a result of access to the iTunes store from the device.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think the iPod feature of the phone is part of what makes it an iPhone. Without it, the device is no longer a part of the iPod product line and instead just a phone with internet capability. Additionally, I don't think they'd want to cut off the revenue stream that exists as a result of access to the iTunes store from the device.
Yeah, I've been rethinking leaving off the iPod. I'm just thinking of a way to pair it down from the 3G.

If the only features missing are GPS, 3G and a 16 GB capacity, then this might be even MORE popular than the 3G considering you might be able to get this without a contract.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm picturing a slower processor and perhaps a subset on the appstore for IPN games (kinda like iPod games are their own thing). Maybe a 320x280 screen rez?

That is, if they would even make this thing, which I don't really think they would.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
It won't have a camera, nor iTunes, nor the app store. It won't have wifi, but it will have EDGE. No 3G. And you can forget YouTube and google maps. Obviously no calculator, clock and calendar. It might be that they give us the ability to install apps from iTunes, but they will be limited.

It wouldn't surprise me if they gave this phone something we all want, like A2DP. And after the new year they will sell a new wireless bluetooth headset.

Of course this is all personal speculation, but it's an educated guess.

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
Because of not being contracted in, I can definitely see these customers having to pay for updates. Mabye not bug fixing updates, but as far as feature updates.

and how would the data plan be controlled? i could see people racking up astronmical bills

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It won't have a camera, nor iTunes, nor the app store. It won't have wifi, but it will have EDGE. No 3G. And you can forget YouTube and google maps. Obviously no calculator, clock and calendar. It might be that they give us the ability to install apps from iTunes, but they will be limited.

It wouldn't surprise me if they gave this phone something we all want, like A2DP. And after the new year they will sell a new wireless bluetooth headset.

So what will it have?

And if the iPod Nanos, and Classics, etc, can have a clock and calendar, why cant this one?

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
IF this is true, really, what's the point? The whole point of the iPhone is to be the Internet, the iPod, the multi function, and the phone device all in one. If someone wants a nano sized phone, there are plenty other phones out there. But that's just MHO.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
So what will it have?

And if the iPod Nanos, and Classics, etc, can have a clock and calendar, why cant this one?
Oh, I didn't know that. Ok. They might be on it. Really I think it's going to be an iPod with simple phone functions and a little bit of internet. Oh it probably won't have a mail app either.

I'm pretty pessimistic at this point, as you all can no doubt tell. Prove me wrong Steve. Prove me wrong.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Perhaps, it will be just a reliable cell phone. With no dropped calls and strong signal... Sign me up... LOL

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I actually dislike the idea of a nano iPhone. With iPods, it is understandable. Some people do not listen as much music as others, and would want a cheaper, smaller iPod. But everyone needs a quality phone. If you want a "nano" iPhone, go to ebay and buy a 4 gig iPhone v1.

Besides, I'm calling this article as false. Last year, some guy declared Apple would activate 3g through a software update on the v1's on Christmas. No facts in that one, no facts in this one. False.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

It wouldn't leave all of that out. I agree that it most likely would not have a camera, and perhaps a slower processor and smaller screen resolution. However, it would have WiFi, otherwise it wouldn't be able to connect the internet; definitely no EDGE or 3G. It would have a clock and calculator, and probably still iTunes and the AppStore. I don't think Apple would remove apps that give them money.

Although I agree with some of the above posts, I don't think there will be. I can see the concept of an "iPhone Pro" being announced next year, and selling alongside iPhone 3G, but a Nano just doesn't seem like it will happen.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
It wouldn't leave all of that out. I agree that it most likely would not have a camera, and perhaps a slower processor and smaller screen resolution. However, it would have WiFi, otherwise it wouldn't be able to connect the internet; definitely no EDGE or 3G. It would have a clock and calculator, and probably still iTunes and the AppStore. I don't think Apple would remove apps that give them money.

Although I agree with some of the above posts, I don't think there will be. I can see the concept of an "iPhone Pro" being announced next year, and selling alongside iPhone 3G, but a Nano just doesn't seem like it will happen.
Actually John, while I do agree with everything you say, I don't feel the same about your AppStore statement. Steve-o admitted that the AppStore is actually costing them more money than they make.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Actually John, while I do agree with everything you say, I don't feel the same about your AppStore statement. Steve-o admitted that the AppStore is actually costing them more money than they make.
You got a reference for Jobs saying that the App Store is costing Apple money?

So far, everything I've found says the exact opposite:

Before the App Store “Opens”, it has already made Apple $55,000

iPhone App Store Downloads Top 10 Million in First Weekend

Steve Jobs DID say however say this back in a March MacWorld article:
“We don’t intend to make any money off the App Store,” Jobs said. “We’re basically giving all the money to the developers and the 30 percent that pays for running the store, that’ll be great.”
Now just because Jobs doesn't intend to make money with the App store, that doesn't mean he won't. :laugh2:

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
However, it would have WiFi, otherwise it wouldn't be able to connect the internet; definitely no EDGE or 3G....
Why would it have wifi for internet some places and no EDGE or 3G? I would take EDGE over wifi any day. This is an iPhone, not an iPod like the touch is.
I don't think Apple would remove apps that give them money.
I did say that they might still let you add apps with iTunes (on your computer). But I am 100% certain that they will not include an app store ON the nano iPhone.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Why would it have wifi for internet some places and no EDGE or 3G? I would take EDGE over wifi any day. This is an iPhone, not an iPod like the touch is.
I did say that they might still let you add apps with iTunes (on your computer). But I am 100% certain that they will not include an app store ON the nano iPhone.
Why? The ability to download apps directly to the iPhone probably helps draw in money a lot. I don't know about you, but I would be a lot more likely to purchase an app directly on the phone instead of in iTunes and doing a sync.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, and it's exactly that kind of usability they take away. Besides, the consensus is that downloading/upgrading apps from the iPhone app store isn't as stable as using the computer iTunes to manage your apps.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
You got a reference for Jobs saying that the App Store is costing Apple money?

So far, everything I've found says the exact opposite:

Before the App Store “Opens”, it has already made Apple $55,000

iPhone App Store Downloads Top 10 Million in First Weekend

Steve Jobs DID say however say this back in a March MacWorld article:

Now just because Jobs doesn't intend to make money with the App store, that doesn't mean he won't. :laugh2:
It's similar to your last quote, and was somewhere on the Washington Post. If I didn't recycle it, I'll fish it up.