iPhone Needs More Storage

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
On corrent video iPods, the minnimum storrage is 30 GB. This is a great amount for videos. If i were to get an iPhone, the screen would be great for videos, but I personally don't think 8 GB is very much. 8 GB is enough for basically 8 movies, with no music or photos or even contacts. So I personally think the future iPhone should have more storage.

May 6, 2007
United States
Well...

It certainly is a possibility, but there would need to be some sacrifices. I believe the iPhone, as we currently know it, uses flash memory. The iPods at memory like 80G, I believe, use hard drives instead of flash memory. A hard drive could be put into the iPhone, but as I said, there would be sacrifices. The phone would probably get bigger and a little slower. It might be a little more noisy and a bit warmer. However, there is a good chance that models will come out with more memory. This is probably on the top two list of suggestions just behind 3G, and I would count on seeing more memory in the future models. How much, though? We will have to wait and see. Maybe Apple will come up with another new technology to get more memory without making these sacrifices. :D

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
Another problem with hard disks is that it takes a few seconds for the data to be retrieved. It takes my 30Gb iPod like 4 seconds to load all the icons in my photo library. With such a graphical UI, and touch screen, the iPhone needs to use flash to get at data quickly. It just doesn't feel right if you have to wait after tapping on something, and many users will just keep tapping it thinking that their touch didn't register.

May 6, 2007
United States
Another problem with hard disks is that it takes a few seconds for the data to be retrieved. It takes my 30Gb iPod like 4 seconds to load all the icons in my photo library. With such a graphical UI, and touch screen, the iPhone needs to use flash to get at data quickly. It just doesn't feel right if you have to wait after tapping on something, and many users will just keep tapping it thinking that their touch didn't register.
Yeah, that's true. I think flash is the right choice for the phone, as the iPod doesn't necessarily need to access data as quickly, for the most part. My guess is that they will stick with flash for the iPhone, sacrificing some memory, but keeping it fast, slick, and a bit quieter.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
You need to remember that the bigger space the higher the price lower battery life etc.
I don't think the amount of flash affects battery life. If that were the case, the 2GB Nano would have different battery life specs than the 8GB Nano and the 4GB iPhone would have different specs than the 8GB.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
Since 80Gb flash is still a long way, what they could do is have many 8Gb flash chips, that way they have the best of both worlds

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
I heard that there is going to be a new iPod due out at the end of 2007 which focuses on these sort of issues and basically expands upon the iPod features on the upcoming iPhone (cover flow, touch screen, etc.), but with much more space capacity since it ditches the phone and internet portions altogether to focus on the iPod stuff....

dino_russ

May 16, 2007
More memory needed

Well since I need more memory than the 8 GB (and better rural reception for ATT) I will wait for version 2. I have already 15 GB on my 60 GB iPod so for me I cannot use the iPhone to replace it yet so the price and such are not worth it to me yet. But I am waiting and watching...:)

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
I used to have my entire library of music on my ipod, but if I threw in video and pictures.. there wouldn't be enough room in two of the maximum iPods.
(I have a whole lot of anime)

As sad as I am to let go of having my entire media library at my fingertips, I'm willing to make the sacrifice, and use iTunes for more than just syncing, and actually picking and choosing things here and there.

My laptop is in my car anyways, I could just use that for storing everything.

I would like to see the storage increase to double the current size.
Even though I'm getting the 8gig, how much of that do you lose in formatting?
And how much is used up by the OS, and default programs/extras?

Will probably end up with around 7 gigs of actual storage space.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I'd probably use the iPod side of the iPhone like the shuffle, keeping a portion of songs, podcasts, shows, and movies, not my entire collection. Since that's all stored mainly the computer anyway that's fine with me. I'm more concerned with storage space for other stuff like applications and documents. It should change the way we use these essentially ultra micro computers, way beyond pda's and smartphones.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I agree with Joe on this... I'd settle for an 8GB iPhone right now... and I don't even have an iPod... I use a Samsung Blackjack with a 2GB card for my music, and it is a small set of tunes compared to what I have in my library on my laptop.

dino_russ

May 16, 2007
I'd probably use the iPod side of the iPhone like the shuffle, keeping a portion of songs, podcasts, shows, and movies, not my entire collection. Since that's all stored mainly the computer anyway that's fine with me. I'm more concerned with storage space for other stuff like applications and documents. It should change the way we use these essentially ultra micro computers, way beyond pda's and smartphones.
I am trying to downsize number of devices I use. My goal is to eventually have my PDA/phone/ipod as only one device I need to remember to take with me, charge up and so forth. Right now I have my Treo and iPod - so a shuffle ipod memory size iPhone does not work well for my plans to simplify what I keep with me. Even if I were to have my planned macbook with me in travels it requires extra time to move songs and such on and off. The attraction of getting my first iPod a year and half ago was that I could store my entire song collection on one device, not a portion. But to each his/her own of course that is just how I plan to implement my future iPhone.

Russ

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I wonder if the iPhone will have auto fill like the shuffle. i guess the iPod nano doesn't, so maybe not. Also, i heard that in about a year, sony will be coming out with a memory stick duo card that will have 10GB. since that card it so small, i bet appl will be able to take like 3 or more if the memory that size and put it in the iPhone which would solve the storage problem

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I don't think there is an issue with fitting more memory into the iPhone, but marketing and size/$$ ratio. So how much would folks be willing to pay for 16/32/64G of storage?

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Must buy iPhone adapter that reads SD cards !

Unfortunate to have to do that for space, but why not replace something as small as a DVD, with something as small as an SD card.. LOL

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Must buy iPhone adapter that reads SD cards !

Unfortunate to have to do that for space, but why not replace something as small as a DVD, with something as small as an SD card.. LOL
i think the iPhone should have SD slots too. 8 GB or more built in flash should be good, but it would be great to have some more! since Apple would never allow an external slot because it wont b as aero dynamic/sleek, they could put it like next to the battery! that would solve the problem of the iPhone getting obsolete very fast

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
i think the iPhone should have SD slots too. 8 GB or more built in flash should be good, but it would be great to have some more! since Apple would never allow an external slot because it wont b as aero dynamic/sleek, they could put it like next to the battery! that would solve the problem of the iPhone getting obsolete very fast
Having an SD Card slot would make it far too easy to share music, effectively stealing from the music industry. Which is illegal and I highly suggest.. not.. Oh I can't finish that sentence.

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Having an SD Card slot would make it far too easy to share music, effectively stealing from the music industry. Which is illegal and I highly suggest.. not.. Oh I can't finish that sentence.
haha. but now that Steve Jobs wrote that letter to the "Big Four" that is not their philosophy so it would b ok :p