iPhone Nightmare & Demise

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
The iPhone nightmare...
Since the iPhone's release, I and over a million others rushed to stores to get our hands on the year's hottest device. And while it may have done everything some people wanted, others found that while it was a great device, it needed additional functionality. For that reason, users began to hack the iPhone and make it do the things they wanted.

As I've mentioned before, there is certainly no crime in hacking an iPhone and as an avid AppTapp user, I've done it myself. And while Apple did not specifically threaten those people who hacked their iPhones, it did fire a warning shot at those who unlocked their iPhones in saying that a future software update will render an unlocked iPhone useless.

If Apple decides to follow through with this threat and release a software update that will "brick" the iPhone, the company should be ready for an extremely hostile user base and ramifications that will affect every device it produces. Some are naive enough to think that Apple can do no wrong and its cult following will stick with it through thick and thin, but I disagree. If Apple decides to brick iPhones, no one will be its friend.

But then again, there will always be some who claim Apple was forced to do it by AT&T and it should be doing it, but I think that's pure rubbish. If Apple releases a software update that will brick iPhones, it has nothing to do with AT&T loyalty and everything to do with making as much money as possible through questionable practices.

At this point, no one really knows if Apple will release a future software update that will brick iPhones, but I can guarantee you that if it does, the PR crisis that will ensue will far outweigh the price drop debacle.

source: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilephones/0,39050603,62032662,00.htm

fosterhere

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Cold Spring on Hudson, NY
Brilliant, I Agree, Well Said!
Once the newness wears off, it's just another device, with a mediocre phone at best. Other operations take far to many "finger strokes" just to impress someone.

It certainly doesn't impress me. I dumped mine on eBay and felt better right away. Especially since I got most of my money back, as I sold it before Steve lost it, and hacked the price by a couple hundred bucks. Thereby shafting the loyal cult of mac. Poor people....so sad.
Is it me or does anyone else find it odd that maclaptopuser got rid of his iPhone yet still feels it necessary to post 193 times on a forum about iPhones? :rolleyes:

This dude's got 100 more post's than me and I love my iPhone and use it every day. I read this forum everyday and my interest in the iPhone and my joy in what it can do has never lessened.

Kinda weird if you ask me.
If I was dissatisfied or bored with a product and got rid of it my interest level about wanting to post about said product would be gone too.

The poor guy dosn't even have an iPhone anymore yet he still posts on an iPhone forum poor guy....so sad

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
The iPhone nightmare...? LOL

Expectations got in the way of your reality. You built up an image in your mind of what the product should be and should do, then compared the fantasy in your head against the phone in your hand and the result was disappointment.

But is that a nightmare? No. It was a mistake for you to convince yourself the iPhone was something it wasn't, then blame the iPhone and Apple for the shortcomings you created.

Move on and let us enjoy the 1st rev. of a product. And for reference, I bought and enjoyed an Apple Newton, which I still have on my desk and still works. It gave me great joy and died an under-developed and under-supported death in a few years. Still love it.

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
The poor guy dosn't even have an iPhone anymore yet he still posts on an iPhone forum poor guy....so sad
Dude. You don't even have an iPhone? You really need to get a life. Hell, I agree with you, but if you DON'T EVEN OWN ONE then what the hell are YOU complaining about?

MaineWriter

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Is it me or does anyone else find it odd that maclaptopuser got rid of his iPhone yet still feels it necessary to post 193 times on a forum about iPhones? :rolleyes:

This dude's got 100 more post's than me and I love my iPhone and use it every day. I read this forum everyday and my interest in the iPhone and my joy in what it can do has never lessened.

Kinda weird if you ask me.
If I was dissatisfied or bored with a product and got rid of it my interest level about wanting to post about said product would be gone too.

Hahaha, so true!

Like you, I love my iPhone and use it constantly. I am looking forward to updates and increasing functionality as time goes forward.

MW

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Why do people mess with things?

Why not leave the damn iPhone alone? I've been fiddling with tech toys for years and I don't have the time for it anymore. I won't hack my iPhone and look forward to Apple's updates.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
They aren't telling you that you can't do whatever you want to your phone; they're just saying you can't use their updates if you want to hack. They've got an exclusivity contract with AT&T. They just want to honor that contract.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
i wnt be impressed with Apple if an update bricks my phone..i wont be updating it for a long while probably...
What some people don't realize is that Apple is not trying to brick your phone.

The code in the updates goes against the code in the hacks, so the phone won't work.

Apple has just told us that this might happen.