iPhone not being recognized

Aug 3, 2007
I plug my iPhone into a regular dumb stupid windows XP, and well it isn't being recognized. Just started today. I turn my sound up, and I hear the ring that my speakers make when I plug it in, it comes up with the menu to download the pictures that I have taken with the camera, I click cancel because I don't want to upload them. Then, nothing. It doesn't show up. When my phone is plugged in and I click the sleep button to see if I got any messages etc. it gives me the battery screen as if it is connected like usual. But it still isn't showing up.
Basically, everything is working, except I can't sync it because it isn't showing up in the menu

This is making me mad
All help is appreciated.

Aug 3, 2007
Correct. The iPhone itself is connecting, it shows that it's charging and such, but, on iTunes, its just not showing up. I can't get to the menu to press the sync button. It isn't showing up. Like, on the left side, where it says: "Library" "Store" and "Playlists." The "Devices" section isn't popping up when I plug my iPhone in. Meaning, that I can't get to where I would be able to sync it, select rentable movies to put on/take off, etc. etc.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
my pc has never recognized my phone in iTunes. I use my moms dads or brothers. My computer is all screwed up though. Ive been planning on reloading windows but never get around to it. I'm also in the process of getting a mac.

Aug 3, 2007
Okay, thanks guys, I just restarted my comp but it still didn't work, so I completely turned it off for 1 hour and turned it back on. It works now. I also restarted my iPhone.
Thanks guys, I HATE WINDOWS. WINDOWS SUCKS

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
kylegod.. you are torturing me.. damn it.

and people that diss XP because of iTunes NOT WORKING PROPERLY (like wtf, think, how in the helll could that be Microsoft's fault) need to understand - yes OSX is more reliable, yes OSX is more pretty, and yes OSX is good, but XP is good - it can run on any machine - more things are made for it - and it they are totally different from one another.

the similarity ends in the fact that they both run on a computer. that's it.

thereforee - OSX = Windows in some cases, just as in some cases, windows > OSX, and OSX > windows in other cases.

oh and by the way - since I updated to 7.6, there hasn't been that problem.

and don't diss windows because iTunes doesn't recognize something. that's just totally unfair.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I had this same problem. It was an iTunes problem, not a Mac or PC issue.

I had to activate my iPhone with my PC because my iBook was so old that it did not have the correct OS to install the new iphone-syncing iTunes. (I do not remember the version number since they give a new iTunes version every month). Then I bought Tiger so that I could download the newest version of iTunes (right before Leopard came out, but that is fine because this old girl is not really fast enough for Leopard). I spent all night cussing out the machine (Mac, not PC) when it was a problem with iTunes. I had to delete (uninstall) iTunes and then reinstall iTunes. After that the mac recognized the iPhone. What was strange was that iTunes recognized every ipod in the house-just not the iPhone!

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
at least one person doesn't bash on the PC every chance they get on this forum..

kokogirl, you saw it the same way I did, because its not the problem of the computer - its a software issue, and the computer, or the OS they are using with it, have NO connection at all to such an issue.

BSAA Dman

Jan 18, 2010
well i recently got my 16gig iPhone jailbroken (the one with the silver back and the bottom is black) and i was going to unlock it aswell but then when i hooked up my iPhone to iTunes it said usb not recognized it would do that before and after a few tries it would work but now it doesn't want to pick it up at all and now the charger wont even charge my iPhone so my bro for some chose the erase all content option and the iPhone froze after it finished it stayed on the Apple logo and wont load and i cant recover it because the usb wont pick it up so my question is: Is it the usb cable that is messed up or is the the iPhones dock connecter that is messed up?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Are you sure it's 16gb?

Try a different USB connection, then if that doesn't work try a different cable.

Also, try holding down the power and home buttons at the same time, don't release until you see the screen flash and the white Apple logo appear, this is whats known as a hard-reset.

BSAA Dman

Jan 18, 2010
yes im sure because it says 16gig on the back, ive tried hooking it up on two diff computers and still says usb not recognized ima have to try a diff cable, also i've tried doing the hard reset but it just stays on the Apple logo screen loading but doesn't load then it flashed a black screen and went back to the Apple logo doing the same thing