iPhone Not Charging on my Computer?

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
Just today, when I plugged my iPhone in to charge/sync, the Windows USB sound came up but my phone would not charge. iTunes did not recognize the phone either. Anybody know whats wrong with it?

I have restarted both my computer and phone.. wall charging works fine.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2008
probably a problem with the usb slot in the computer

try some other device on the same usb slot...if that wont work as well ,then its the problem with the usb slot.....

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
try reinstalling iTunes
I just uninstalled iTunes and now it won't reinstalled.. It says iTunes had ran into some problems that prevented completion of the install..

try some other device on the same usb slot...if that wont work as well ,then its the problem with the usb slot.....
This is the same slot I have been using for months, I have tried the others as well to see if the USB port just died but it would not work on any other USB port either.

ihack

Bronze
Nov 7, 2008
Orange Park, FL
If you go to the Apple site there are instictions on how to comletly remove iTunes and all it components. When you uninstall it leaves crap behind that can mess up a new install

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
Wow, there was a piece of dust inside the USB end of the cable and it was blocking the full connection lol. I blew it out along with the USB ports on my computer and now everything is working fine..

I don't know how that same cable could still work from the AC charger with the dust in there though.. :confused:

Thanks for the help everyone lol.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I believe the cable pulls power from different pins depending on whether you have it connected to the computer or to AC power. Glad you got it sorted.