iPhone not recognized by computer

Discussion in 'Windows PC and iPhone' started by acosmichippo, Sep 24, 2007.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    ok, i started this thread in the Mods forum, but my problem appears to be more associated with my PC or iTunes, so i consolidated the information, and reposted here... i don't mean to spam the board with my problems...

so anyway, here's my problem (I'm using XP home edition SP2, btw). iTunes does not recognize my iPhone while it is connected to my computer. It charges, but iTunes does not autostart, and if i open iTunes, the phone does not appear.

Things i have tried:
    -I restored my phone (had been running a few mods) - no luck
    -tried every usb port on my computer (3 of them) - no luck
    -went to the Apple store and it was recognized on two of their iMacs AND their windows PC without a problem. I even tried this with my own cable to check if it was bad - no luck
    -Reinstalled latest iTunes - still, no luck

Also, someone has already recommended installing an older version of iTunes... but where can i get one of these? Also, if this is the solution, i don't want to get stuck using an out-of-date version.

Anyway, are there any more suggestions out there?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT:

after stumbling upon some key info at the Apple support forum, i was able to fix my problem. if anyone finds this thread in the future, here is how i did it:

1) open "run" from the start menu, and run "services.msc".
    2)find "Apple Mobile Device".
    3)In the "status" column it will tell you if the process is started or not, and the "startup type" column will tell you if the process will start automatically when windows starts. I think the goal here is to set the status to "started" and the startup type to "automatic".
    4)To do this right click on this process, and then click on "Properties"
    5) In the "general" tab find the "startup type" drop-down arrow menu and make sure "automatic" is selected. Select it if it is not.
    6) Also in the general tab check the "service status". If it does not say "started" then click the start button.
    7) at the bottom of the properties window click "apply"
    That did it for me, and i hope it helps someone else out!

2. SuSp3cT

SuSp3cT
    Expand Collapse

Jul 17, 2008
    So i picked up my iPhone 3g today. They tried to activate the phone using their iTunes at the store but they couldn't get it to recognize the iPhone. So i went home and tried to do it myself and it didn't work either. Tried all methods suggested on the net but still couldn't get it to work. Also, i couldnt' find the driver usbaapl.sys anywhere on my computer even after installing the latest iTunes 7.7. Could this be the problem? Apparently its been happening all morning at the store. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? and can anyone help me with a solution to this.

much appreciated. thanks

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. rmfnla

rmfnla
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Jun 8, 2008
    Obviously, this is not how it is supposed to work.

I have Vista on my Dell laptop and both my original V.1 and my new 3G are recognized just fine.

Seeing how your phone did this with two separate computers I suspect your phone has a missing or corrupted file, and I'm a bit surprised they let you take that phone home.

Time to go see a genius (tech support in the Apple store).

5. SuSp3cT

SuSp3cT
    Expand Collapse

Jul 17, 2008
    I was surprised to hear them say that it's been happening all day when i picked up my iPhone. Im guessing a problem with the second batch they ordered in. Going back to the store tomorrow to see if they've found a way to fix it. If anyone else has found an answer to this problem please let me know. Thanks

6. sonicwind

sonicwind
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

May 12, 2008
    Obviously the phone has a malfunction. It is probably hardware. You need to get the phone replaced. They should have done that for you at the store before you left.

7. djSRG

djSRG
    Expand Collapse

Sep 15, 2008
    OK....First of all, i love the forums here, everyone is really helpful here and i hope someone can help me!

I have the first gen. iPhone with the 2.0 software. Randomly i was loading a game and it froze...so i decided to do a reset and after i did that, thats it..Only the Apple logo was on there for hours and nothing changed...

I plugged it in and the computer didn't recognize it...played around with it for hours and nothing happened until i pressed reset while it was recognized so iTunes reset the whole phone...great...now all it shows is the usb with an arrow to iTunes...when i put my tmobile sim card in, its still th eimage of the usb and iTunes but it still reads t-mobile and i have reception..i see text messages come in and i also get phone calls!
    Can someone please tell me what to do, i'm desperate!

8. Amt

Amt
    Expand Collapse

Sep 18, 2008
    ...what's the problem?

9. Hawk

Hawk
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Gold

Aug 2, 2007
    Ok, when you restored, did you update too? Although T-Moble is your carrier, iTunes still wants you to connect to authenticate. That sounds like the problem.
    Someone else on here might remember the code to bypass activation, which is what you need to do. You can search on here for bypass activation, or activation code, or PM themanofthedark and he might be able to help you get past the connect to iTunes logo.

10. djSRG

djSRG
    Expand Collapse

Sep 15, 2008
    i finally fixed the problem!
    Ok, i downloaded the winpwn tool and all the stuff you need for it..My problem was, that i would restore it through iTunes...and then i was stupid and i kept trying to jailbreak it and unlock it with ziPhone but then it would just go back to not do anything...So i restored it and it finally worked with winpwn...I just needed to jailbreak it because it was obviously already unlocked...now i got 2.1 and it works great. Thank you for your help though

11. TarHeelsRule

TarHeelsRule
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Dec 31, 2008
    I am at my wit's end! Been fighting with this since yesterday. I bought a new computer and transferred all my files over using PC Mover. iTunes transferred fine but I forgot to deauthorize my iPhone on the old computer. So I reinstalled iTunes on the the old computer and deauthorized it. And did a restore for added measure. My new HP laptop running Windows 7 still will not recognize my iPhone. Now neither computer will recognize my iPhone or allow it to sync. If I add apps on the phone it will allow me to do that but can't sync with new computer. I can sync with old one but all music, pics and apps have been moved and/or deleted from old computer. Windows says my iPhone is there and it is recognized but iTunes refuses to see. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes several times to no avail.

What am I missing or is it a complete bust?

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    Is your new laptop's windows 64-bit? If so, are you installing the 64-bit version of iTunes?

the other thing i would check is this: click on your start button, type "services.msc" in the search bar, and hit enter. In the list of services, make sure the "Apple mobile device" service is started and set to automatic.

13. TarHeelsRule

TarHeelsRule
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Dec 31, 2008
    I am pretty sure I installed the 64-bit version of iTunes. And I followed the steps above and the service is started and set to automatic and still no go.

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    have you tested your new USB ports? do other USB devices work OK?

15. Rip

Rip
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Oct 23, 2007
    Other things to try are a different USB port and restarting Windows with the iPhone plugged in and turned on.

16. TarHeelsRule

TarHeelsRule
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Dec 31, 2008
    I have tried other usb ports. I have a Cricket broadband modem for my internet and that works fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes a few more times. And even got the brilliant idea too create a new user account. (bad idea, as it caused me to lose all the info I transferred over from old computer:041:crying)

I was able to recover some info and put all my music and apps back in iTunes and if I go to my iTunes account on the iPhone it allows me to put back the apps that I purchased previously but still won't allow me to sync to my account. I am completely lost!

17. TarHeelsRule

TarHeelsRule
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Dec 31, 2008
    I finally figured out what the problem is......if I go to Start>Computer...it lists my iPhone as a Portable Device and recognizes it as a digital camera. (which would be funny if it wasn't so ironic) I have gone through countless articles at support/Apple and tried all the fixes recommended there at least twice and none of them have worked. My iPhone works as a phone and I can add my apps via the App Store on the phone but any that are too big to add I will have to do without and I cannot add back my 693 songs that I had on there.

When I called Apple I was told that I am past my 90 window so I would have to pay either $29.95 or $69.95 for them to talk to me via the telephone.

So basically I can go back to carrying 2 devices one my useless iPhone and buy another iPod or just go without my music which is the reason I got the iPhone in the first place.

And to think that I was upgrading when I brought my new HP with Windows 7. This is beyond frustrating!

18. Rip

Rip
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Oct 23, 2007
    You could buy Applecare from eBay cheaply and then have Apple sort the problem for you.

Have you tried another PC to test if it's the phone that's the problem?

19. TarHeelsRule

TarHeelsRule
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Dec 31, 2008
    Yep I put it back on my old laptop, a Dell running Windows XP and it picked it up with no problem. I will try your solution with eBay and see if that works.

20. Rip

Rip
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Oct 23, 2007
    Well, if it works with your old laptop then assuming that iTunes is installed correctly it must be a Windoze problem, so don't pin all of your hopes on a solution from Apple. They'll probably pass you on to Microsoft.

I don't have any experience on Windows past XP so can't help you out with 7.

Good luck and I hope you get it resolved.

21. TarHeelsRule

TarHeelsRule
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Dec 31, 2008
    Okay, here's the update. I had to take my HP back to it's factory settings. Apparently something I moved over from my old Dell laptop wasn't playing nice with Windows 7.

I downloaded iTunes 64-bit and had to do some updates to Windows before it would recognize the driver for my iPhone but all is well now. I have to add all my music back though. But at least I can now.

Thanks for all your help and I hope this might help someone else in the same position.

Merry Christmas!