iPhone not recognized in Vista Ultimate 32

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
my phone will not show up in iTunes or windows. When I connect it it continually installs "digitial camera" drivers, says successful, then about 2 minutes later repeats the same thing. I went to an Apple store and it worked fine there, so I was able to activate it.
I've reinstalled iTunes a few times as well as verified the services running etc, anyone else have any ideas or seen the same thing?

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
my phone will not show up in iTunes or windows. When I connect it it continually installs "digitial camera" drivers, says successful, then about 2 minutes later repeats the same thing. I went to an Apple store and it worked fine there, so I was able to activate it.
I've reinstalled iTunes a few times as well as verified the services running etc, anyone else have any ideas or seen the same thing?
I had that happen with an iPod on Vista. There is a nice help from Apple that may work, here is the link. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61711

It lets you start the iPod, (maybe iPhone?) service on iTunes from the system menu. Hope this helps.

I did a copy from the Apple site. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93716

Restart the iPod Service
  1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Right click on My Computer/Computer and click Manage. If Windows requires your permission to continue, click Continue.
  3. Click the plus symbol to the left of Services and Applications.
  4. Select Services listed under Services and Applications.<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">
  5. Double click iPod Service in the right hand panel.
  6. Click the Stop button under the General tab and leave the iPod Service Properties window open.
  7. Connect your iPod and wait until it is visible in My Computer/Computer.
  8. Click the Start button in the iPod Service Properties window.
  9. Open iTunes.

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
Thanks, gave it a try but no luck, unfortunately the iPhone never shows up in windows either, so the part about waiting til then before starting the ipod service doesn't really work, but tried variations of the service without any luck :(

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
Hmm... I'm also running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit.. but I have no problems syncing or it seeing the phone.
yes as a last resort I am going to reformat and reinstall windows from scratch, but thats a last resort. At least I am able to use most of the functionality without iTunes, just can't put music or movies on it or sync anything.

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I don't have an ipod to try :(
Did you try the options (fix) for not finding a iPod by windows talked about in the Apple help site. I think there was some discussion on that of their web site. This is odd for sure.

Also, look at your firewall porgram if you have any running. If you don't have one, take a look at windows defender, the default program program in the new Vista system, it may have something to do with that. (I'm just tossing out ideas at this point)

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Go to add/remove programs. Uninstall iTunes AND Apple device manager. Then reinstall iTunes. This worked for me, also on ultimate.

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
Ok well, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled vista32 ultimate then patched it. So right now nothing is on my pc but windows and iTunes.
It still doesn't work.
In my device manager it shows up as "Apple Mobile USB Device Driver" but never shows up in iTunes, also it appears to continue to try and install camera drivers for the "digital still camera" but never really does work. It wont show up in my computer. I have the phone syncing and working 100% on my XP SP2 machine at work, but it just will not work with my home pc.
Any suggestions?

Here are my pc specs
ASUS P5LD2 Motherboard
1.8Ghz Pentium D
2 Gigs Ram
300 Gig HD
Nvidia 6600GT video

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Ok well, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled vista32 ultimate then patched it. So right now nothing is on my pc but windows and iTunes.
It still doesn't work.
In my device manager it shows up as "Apple Mobile USB Device Driver" but never shows up in iTunes, also it appears to continue to try and install camera drivers for the "digital still camera" but never really does work. It wont show up in my computer. I have the phone syncing and working 100% on my XP SP2 machine at work, but it just will not work with my home pc.
Any suggestions?

Here are my pc specs
ASUS P5LD2 Motherboard
1.8Ghz Pentium D
2 Gigs Ram
300 Gig HD
Nvidia 6600GT video
Did the Apple help or discussion board have anything on this? I had an issure with my Vista and not running a program only to find out it was a drive issue with my sound card. (make sure you have the Vista drive for the Nvidia) It may not be any relations to this but the driver not installing for the iPhone is most likely the real issue. Apple may have drives you can get off their website. Try running / plugging it in with all security truned off it may be hangging up there.

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
Try different usb ports on your computer. Also have as few other usb devices plugged into you system as possible.

Also, would you be able to install Xp on the system and see if it works in XP on that system. If it doesn't work in xp then it may be a hardware problem. If it work is xp then it would be a software problem.

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
Did the Apple help or discussion board have anything on this? I had an issure with my Vista and not running a program only to find out it was a drive issue with my sound card. (make sure you have the Vista drive for the Nvidia) It may not be any relations to this but the driver not installing for the iPhone is most likely the real issue. Apple may have drives you can get off their website. Try running / plugging it in with all security truned off it may be hangging up there.
I believe I have the latest drivers for all my hardware, when I just did a fresh install of Vista, I went to all my manufacturers websites and got the latest. I turn off the user account control and windows defender normally. I also tried disabling the firewall with no luck as well

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
Try different usb ports on your computer. Also have as few other usb devices plugged into you system as possible.

Also, would you be able to install Xp on the system and see if it works in XP on that system. If it doesn't work in xp then it may be a hardware problem. If it work is xp then it would be a software problem.
yes tried all usb ports on the machine with nothing connected and same issue.
I was going to try the xp route to see hardware vs software, but haven't had a chance yet.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Im using Vista Ultimate 32 and not having any problems. But! Have some things for you to check. Seeing that you reloaded windows yourself means your somewhat techy, so great!

1. Noticed my iPhone DID NOT like USB hubs. Plug it directly into your computer and not a hub.

2. Go into your BIOS and change the speed of your USB ports and try again.

Hope it works out and let us know!

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
Im using Vista Ultimate 32 and not having any problems. But! Have some things for you to check. Seeing that you reloaded windows yourself means your somewhat techy, so great!

1. Noticed my iPhone DID NOT like USB hubs. Plug it directly into your computer and not a hub.

2. Go into your BIOS and change the speed of your USB ports and try again.

Hope it works out and let us know!
Did the bios check to verify highspeed usb2.0 and all is fine.

Also did the load of XP as nippyjun suggested and still no luck there. So I figured it had to be my hardware, so went out and purchased an additional usb2.0 card and it works now.
I have no idea why it won't work with my built in usb 2.0 ports when everything else in the world does, but oh well. At least it works now.

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Did the bios check to verify highspeed usb2.0 and all is fine.

Also did the load of XP as nippyjun suggested and still no luck there. So I figured it had to be my hardware, so went out and purchased an additional usb2.0 card and it works now.
I have no idea why it won't work with my built in usb 2.0 ports when everything else in the world does, but oh well. At least it works now.
Now that is odd, but you found the issue, nice job. Agree that there is no reason why would the USB would not work that came with the computer. Could be just an defective USB and the phone was the first thing that really needed the 2.0 or something.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Does your Motherboard let you change the speed from fullspeed to something else, been a while since I've looked at it. Think there was like 2 or 3 speed settings. Discovered this when I was having problems with my iPod a while back.