iPhone now has infrared capabilities, Universal Remote application demo video.

timevision

Jan 6, 2009
Today, we bring good news to “couch potatoes” everywhere who are lucky enough to own an iPhone.

A group of students at the University of Toronto have completed something that could potentially replace all the remotes you have scattered around the house. It’s called the UiRemote (Universal Infrared Remote), for iPhone only at the moment.

With the help of this small accessory, you will be able to use your iPhone to control your TV, DVD, Cable box, Projectors, Digital Photo Frames, AC, Fans, & Backyard evil robots, where-ever you go. Not only does it send out the remote control signals, you can easily teach it to learn any button on any standard Remote, or even a sequence of button clicks as a macro.

Take note, this is not some bulky infrared remote boxes that you have to connect using Wifi, and cannot be moved around. This standalone accessory, in its final prototype form, is only the size of a finger tip, and require nothing but your iPhone to control devices and learn new remote commands. We are going to make it even smaller after further adjustments. You can conveniently slip it into your pocket and take it to your friends/bars/meetings/work/etc. and impress them with this new thing you can do with your iPhone.

See the demo youtube video and app screenshots at the project website:

http://uiremote.wordpress.com

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
hmmm... deja vu?

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm interested.

I'm having deja vu because I came up with this idea a long time ago (as I'm sure many others did)

I gotta find that thread...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Yes, it's deja vu all over again.

I had something similar for my pocket PC some years back. The big issue was always the strength of the transmission. Essentially it's audio tones converted to IR.

Let's hope it has plenty of oomph!

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
It looks like the real problem with this app is the sw interface. Most universal applications allow you to choose from several templates and create your own screens. For example with my Philips Pronto I can create a "home screen" that lists all my devices and then choose the device I wan to manage and be brought to a "secondary screen" with the buttons to control that device. I also have the ability to make each "secondary screen" look just like my remote by choosing from hundreds of user generated templates. Without the ability to do something like that I don't see this as being very user friendly...

It seems naturally that this idea would come up one day, now we really don't need to get up from our couch anymore... when is it going to be available to everyone?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I did see an app on the appstore that allowed you to photgraph a remote and then assign the actions from screen taps.

IIRC it was for a bespoke system and not just any old IR system.

Nice idea though.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Please only create on thread on a topic. Threads merged.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
only problem is i like to watch TV while messing around with my phone (installing new firmware, jailbreaking, etc)... i'd rather have an independent device anyway. Maybe when i upgrade to a new iPhone... my Harmony suits me fine for now.

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
infrared capabilities? !
old technologies got new lives here.
but since we got bluetooth, why infrared?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple has severely limited the bluetooth capability of the iPhone. It can pair with headsets, but that's about it.

Dec 21, 2008
NY
I'd really be interested in this if it can control those listed and my xbox 360 I'll be set ;)

I've tried countless remotes and, although this is a neat idea, I won't be going this route. IMHO, the iPhone has a lot of good use potential, but this isn't one of them. Signal output limitations and the UI are my primary concerns. After spending hours and hours programming and re-programming my Prontos, I finally have settled on a Logitech Harmony One, and I cannot imagine any iPhone app competing with its smooth touch interface and feature set. Granted, I had to pay dearly for the Harmony, but it rocks. I'll pass for now.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I think if anything it would be a great novalty like option to have to maybe show off a bit when entertaining but other than that I don't see the iPhone that is curantly available turning into the all in one gadget.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
If it could remote control my car.. It would be great.

I'd like to be able to Lock?Unlock the doors. Roll up and down the windows from my phone.

I'm ALL IN, when they get that.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If it could remote control my car.. It would be great.

I'd like to be able to Lock?Unlock the doors. Roll up and down the windows from my phone.

I'm ALL IN, when they get that.
Already available. Connect2car.com
And yes, it has software for the iPhone.

Delphi was also working on something like this, announced last year's CES, but no one seems to know if/when it will be released, can it work as an aftermarket add-on, etc.

http://delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/controls/security/bluetooth_gateway_fob/
I even emailed them, and so far no response.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Already available. Connect2car.com
And yes, it has software for the iPhone.

Delphi was also working on something like this, announced last year's CES, but no one seems to know if/when it will be released, can it work as an aftermarket add-on, etc.

http://delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/controls/security/bluetooth_gateway_fob/
I even emailed them, and so far no response.

That would be awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I have been wanting something like that for YEARS!