iPhone now holds 28% of the global smartphone market

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
i believe it but it doesn't seem that way. i know a lot of ppl with smart phones and theres no way 28& of them are iPhones

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Source:
http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/02/05/iPhone.vs.rivals/

and

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2008/r2008021.htm

During MacWorld, Jobs said that the iPhone held about 20% market share, so this is even bigger than he announced. And that's less than 1 year after introduction from a brand-new market entrant with only 2 devices....1 if you don't differentiate between 4GB and 8GB versions.

That's pretty impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and all, but what really defines a smartphone? I always assumed a smartphone was a phone you can run your own applications on.

I've never had anything more than a normal cell phone before the iPhone. I still consider this just a phone that can do maps, ipod, and web browse extremely well due to its (mosty superior) interface.

Smart phones that my friends have seem more like mini pcs that have all the flexibilities (and headaches) of running just about any app you can think of.

So is the iPhone a smartphone?

-Jeff

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Not really.

At least not technically, in my book, for this reason alone.

At least not until "late February".

But for what it's worth, I think the modern idea of a smartphone is a device that gives you voice and internet in one device. But app support completes the picture.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Well the definition of "smartphone" is as the industry defines it. Gartner, Canalys, etc....they all lump the iPhone, Windows Mobile devices, Treos, RIM/Blackberries, Nokia's, etc into that same market segment. I'd say the iPhone is closer to any of those than it is, say, a Razr.

Apple certainly classifies it as a smartphone...hence Steve Jobs standing under a giant pie chart at MacWorld 2008 proclaiming 20% (at the time) market share of the "US Smartphone Market."

And we all know....Stevie is NEVER wrong. :p

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
That is an incredible market share. Especially, when one considers that other phone manufacturers produce and market more than one phone. Apple captures a nice market share with simply one product to choose from. This will create much competition, which will only benefit the end user.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
One huge win for consumers is that Apple's market entry, and the success they've had with a brand-new product in a highly competitive market, has already spawned several more choices.

1) Garmin, very popular in the GPS world, now is coming to the cell phone market with the Nuvi.
2) Several clones of the iPhone...replication is the sincerest form of flattery they say, but even more important, recognition that something is unique enough to warrant a knockoff.
3) Rumored market entries from Dell are on the horizon.

Apple has breathed life into an otherwise "status quo" industry. And we as consumers win, whether we choose an iPhone or not.