iPhone on T-Mobile

imad

Oct 28, 2009
Anyone using their iPhone on T-mobile with a data plan? I'd like to be able to get edge or better 3G when I'm out. I see on my account I can add unlimited data for $10. Anyone get that working? How long did it take once you ordered it?
Thanks

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Anyone using their iPhone on T-mobile with a data plan? I'd like to be able to get edge or better 3G when I'm out. I see on my account I can add unlimited data for $10. Anyone get that working? How long did it take once you ordered it?
Thanks
the iPhone will work with T-Mobile data if unlocked, however you will only be able to connect to their EDGE network as the iPhone is not compatible with T-Mobile 3g bands. The iPhone uses the AT&T's 850/1900 frequencies for 3g whereas T-Mobile is 1700/2100

Oct 30, 2009
I have a 3g iPhone with T-Mobile service, couldnt ask for anything better...i have the 100mb web plan for $9.99 per month..and let me say this, i know at times i have gone over 100mb, but there is never any extra charges, and i never get cut off. Alot of people say the same thing who have it. It may not be the fastest internet, but for what they offer it works well for me. And the settings you need to enter on the iPhone are very easy to do...another secret you can also set up mms settings, do a search for the settings you need to enter. Or then again submit a new question here for the settings answer, just make sure you express your iPhone model 2g, 3g, 3gs...and firmware 2.2.1, 3.0, 3.1 etc..then someone can help you get the settings. Lots of

T-Mobile.com...most awesome phone service ever. plus myself for using them as my iPhone service provier for the past 2 and half years...learned a lot!

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
T-Mobile's EDGE is WAY faster than AT&Ts. Where I live I have both (no 3G this far out of Dallas) so now I'm researching if I should just move to T-Mobile. After over 18 years with AT&T I'm getting tired of their nickel and dime attitude. Now I'm getting emails telling me I'm using too much off network. I have my Data Roaming switched off but it still connects to T-Mobile.

If you look at the AT&T coverage map my home has great EDGE and voice coverage but my phone, even with Roaming Data switched to off, connects to T-Mobile data and voice faster and more often than to AT&Ts network.

What I haven't found is anything where you get limited web on T-Mobile. All I find are the unlimited plans even with no contract and they compare at almost half the price of AT&T for more voice service!

Any others out there using an iPhone on T-Mobile?

Jul 11, 2008
I have an iPhone on T-Mobile. I've been using an iPhone for two years now, first the 2g one and now I have the 3g. I love it, and although you don't get the 3g, t-mobile's edge isn't that bad, and you can always turn your wifi on too.

I even recently switched to the new tmoble my touch phone but went right back to my iPhone!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Now your triple posting, fox!? Anyway, that thread means nothing. It was locked in August and their 3G network is still incompatible with the iPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You posted the same link on three threads.

Jun 12, 2009
the iPhone will work with T-Mobile data if unlocked, however you will only be able to connect to their EDGE network as the iPhone is not compatible with T-Mobile 3g bands. The iPhone uses the AT&T's 850/1900 frequencies for 3g whereas T-Mobile is 1700/2100
wait, i don't get it, so your saying that T-Mobile's 3G speed is faster then AT&T :eek:O_o?

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Where I live T-Mobile's EDGE is faster than AT&T's EDGE and neither one of them have 3G in my area so I don't really care that much about 3G.

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Don't get to post here often, but just wanted to add to the positive experience with an iPhone on T-Mobile. I have a white 16GB 3GS that I have been using successfuly with T-Mo, and have had a 3G and an original silver iPhone on T-Mo since 2008. I have the $10 internet, and have recently experienced an increase in EDGE data speeds in my area (Dayton, OH) that has made the iPhone MUCH nicer to use over EDGE. I've speed tested at over 200k/s in places. The only thing that does NOT work is Visual Voicemail, which I could give a damn less about.

We recently drove to Chicago, and aside from a few areas where data reception appeared to be poor, I used a combination of XGPS (mostly) and Google Maps to navigate from Dayton to Chicago. It was always responsive and never left me stranded, I was very pleased and have been since I switched.

When I started out with the iPhone I was on AT&T, with the original 4GB when they cut the price. As it was, I got lots of dropped calls, and data was spotty at best. IMO, T-Mobile is everything AT&T should have been, GREAT customer service, good phone selection (aside from the iPhone, obviously) and reception is great. I also noticed that on AT&T, if I had two or fewer bars, I can count on either not being able to make a call, or the call dropping that was previously in progress. I used to check my coverage very often. Not so with T-Mo. I can go into a store, have NO bars, and still get 100k+ EDGE data. It's spotty at that point, but I can usually find a sweet spot.

If you get a T-Mo SIM, you can download the codes from that card to check your balance and msgs right from the iPhone, making it even more seamless.

Now, last time I went to the corporate kiosk in the mall, right when they launched 3G in my area, the T-Mo rep told me that the 3G in this area piggybacks on AT&T's 3G, basically using the same frequencies. He told me that it's possible to receive 3G on my iPhone because of this. I personally have not experienced this. I don't know that he knew what he was talking about. I would LOVE for this to be true, however. When I switch on the 3G toggle in Network Prefs, the phone immediately shows zero bars and then unceremoniously dumps me to "No Service". I have to keep it switched off.

Just adding another very positive switch to T-Mo to the list. Hopefully I can help sway some unhappy AT&T customers. And hearing that Geohot has unlocked 3.1.2 recently just makes it better. I tried the MyTouch, which is a nice Android phone, but I love the iPhone, and have found that no other smartphone is quite as seamless as the iPhone experience. It changed the way I use cellular devices.