iPhone on Verizon's network?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
The iPhone is GSM, not CDMA.. Therefore, until they make a CDMA iPhone you will not be seeing it on a Verizon network. The article you pointed to is basically saying that Verizon will allow you to pretty much use any CDMA phone on their network, regardless of you purchasing it from them or not.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Verizon knows that, while it's a good service, their devices are pretty much crap.

Agreed, Verizon tends to bast*ardise their phones operating systems to no end.

I am not sure if its because of the CDMA network (but I can see why that effects the menus, but their OS's are all slow and very clunky.

A while ago both my sister and I had the Razr (before I bought the iTunes razr), she had the Verizon version I had the Cingular versions. Her phone couldnt do half of what mine could, her menu system was all convoluted just to send a simple text. The phone also clocked a lot when I went to my pictures on my phone it was about 1 second to bring them all up, hers would actually have a clocking icon while it brought them all up.

If Verizon just released the regular Razr without changing everything to fit their look and feel it would have done much better.

I know a lot of people with the Chocolate that just hate it.

But, at least in NJ Verizon does have a better network in terms of sound quality, that has more to do with the CDMA network vs the GSM network in general though.

CDMA is a much more tight network, but it has its draw backs, cant use outside of the US is one, and its a power hog, look at the battery ratings of CDMA phones they are much lower then their GSM counterparts.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I was wondering about a similar front page newspaper article my wife told me about today. She said (according to the caption) Verizon was allowing all phones to operate ok their network. The caption was underneath a photo of the iPhone. My first thought was that maybe France's requiring Orange to unlock the iPhone (was it France?) may already have international ramifications. Too bad she didn't have time to actually read the article!

As far as CDMA, not sure how they could pull that off!

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
true, verizon is allowing all CDMA phones on their networks. only if they meet a magical "minium requirement" but, only CDMA phones. They can't just randomly allow phones that aren't CDMA technology on their network, because that's not the technology that it works on.