iPhone Operating System

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JackBauer

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
New York
Okay, I plan on getting the 4GB model of the iPhone and was wondering how many megabites of gigabites the iPhone operarting system will take up. On my Mac is takes up 2GB, so I image it will be much less.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I'd assume anywhere between 400 - 600 mb. It shouldn't be much more than that.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the OSX is separate from the 8 or 4 gb of storage, meaning that it doesn't affect the total storage of the device. I could be wrong

One thing I was wondering this morning has to do with operating system upgrades. Will they be free if we have a service plan or will we have to pay separately? The phone OS seems to have features of Leopard but is obviously not Leopard yet.

Is the iPhone version like a fork of the computer version with a different versioning than desktop/laptop/ version. OSX does have a separate for servers which Steve didn't mention in the last Keynote.

If the phone OS is true OSX then I guess the OSX user base is fixing to grow!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
One thing I was wondering this morning has to do with operating system upgrades. Will they be free if we have a service plan or will we have to pay separately? The phone OS seems to have features of Leopard but is obviously not Leopard yet.

Is the iPhone version like a fork of the computer version with a different versioning than desktop/laptop/ version. OSX does have a separate for servers which Steve didn't mention in the last Keynote.

I don't think OS upgrades will be free. They aren't free on macs.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
its always less since they round up, never gotten why they cant get it right at where they say it is
They don't round up per se, they just measure differently. Storage manufacturers have always measured in decimal (since the '50s), but your OS measures in binary. No space is being lost, it's just that you never had the space to begin with.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
The OS takes up 700MB as can be seen in one of the Apple videos.

Firmware updates will be free.

OS updates may or may not be made available. if they are minor point upgrades they will be free, major ones wil prob ably cost, just like OSX. If you upgrade from 10.4.3 to 10.4.9 it is free. Upgrading 10.3 to 10.4 costs money.

- SR

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina

Hey man what store you going to friday?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Yeh I can't see Apple charging for software updates on the iPhone at all. They don't charge for iPod updates... they haven't charged for Apple TV updates... the iPhone probably won't be any different.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
iPhone Os Is 180 Megabytes, Not 700

The OS takes up 700MB as can be seen in one of the Apple videos.

Firmware updates will be free.

OS updates may or may not be made available. if they are minor point upgrades they will be free, major ones wil prob ably cost, just like OSX. If you upgrade from 10.4.3 to 10.4.9 it is free. Upgrading 10.3 to 10.4 costs money.

- SR

The iPhone OS currently is taking up 180MB of space, the reviewers were wrong on what they said, they haven't taken a number of things into consideration when doing their calculations.

Here is the reason. Remember that according to the technical specs of the iPhone (see footnote number 1) they consider a gigabyte to be 1000000000 bytes, but in reality the way computers calculate a gigabyte is 1073741824 bytes. (1024 x 1024 x 1024)

So, in the iPhone activation/sync video it is showing that there is 7.27 GB free. Take a look at this calculation...

8000000000 bytes available on an 8bg iPhone without the os...

now 8000000000 divided by 1.073741824 equals 7.45 gigabytes actual formatted capacity, the iPhone is showing 7.27gb free, so the OS is actually taking approximately 180mb.

So, just to help some people who are considering the 4GB version of the phone, here is how much free space you should end up with..

4000000000 divided by 1.073741824 equals 3.72 gigabytes minus 210mb
4GB iPhone should have 3.54 gigabytes free.

I hope this clears this issue up, its a common misconception in properly calculating free space.

--------------------------

Here is a hard drive example... Take a 250gb hard drive, after its formatted you actually get 232mb, same exact calculation applies...

250,000,000,000 divided by 1.073741824 = 232 gigabytes.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
isn't that 7.45 gb then where is the rest? Or is because 1gb = 1000/1024 depending.
the way i understood the post, it is lost in the reformatting process. y/n?

thanks for sharing...i was curious as to how many songs/videos will ACTUALLY fit on my phone.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
isn't that 7.45 gb then where is the rest? Or is because 1gb = 1000/1024 depending.
7.45 is total capacity is there wasn't an OS taking up space, but since there is, and since iTunes is showing 7.24 available, that means 210mb is missing, which I assume is the OS, is there is anything else on the phone in the activation & sync video, that would mean that the OS is actually smaller than 210mb, but I'm assuming the iPhone is that video is empty.

So yeah, you can't just divide by 1024 and here is the reason.

Apple is saying that a gigabyte is 1 billion bytes even, but..

There is 1024 bytes in a kilobyte and....
there is 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte and...
there is 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte.

So by the time you get done multiplying all of them together you actually lose a nice little chuck of space there.

8GB of flash memory, completely empty gives you 7.45GB of usable formatted capacity, but since the iPhone OS takes up 210MB you are left with about 7.24GB free space.

But this is actually better for the people considering the 4GB version, because they are probably assuming that they will only have 3.24GB free (Based upon the 7.24gb free in that video), but in reality they should have 3.51GB free. So thats great for them, they are actually getting 260MB of space that they weren't expecting. That adds up to about 100 MP3's.