iPhone or iPod and a cell phone?

Discussion in 'iPod Classic' started by jlinville.2010, May 29, 2007.

1. jlinville.2010

jlinville.2010 New Member

i already have a cool cell phone and an iPod Video. Why do i need to get an iPhone? My brother thinks it is ridiculous. Is it?

#1 jlinville.2010, May 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  2. joe

joe New Member
    Gold

You might have a cool cell phone, but the iPhone blows it away.

And in a word: convergence. :laugh2:

3. BoxKrait

BoxKrait New Member
    Bronze

ridiculous to have all three

but genius to have only the iPhone

could always ebay your 'old' stuff :D

4. archer6

archer6 New Member
    Bronze

You have brought up a very good question. In a way it's like the question many people ask: what's the best cell phone for me? The answer: the one you choose. No one else can choose for you. It's up to you to decide what you want in features, functionality and the price you are willing to pay for those features.

I hear you say you already have a cool cell phone, that statement tells me that you are not unhappy with it, so why change? Then I hear you have a Video iPod, and no complaints so that tells me that you are enjoying it. So why change?

The only valid reason to buy an iPhone is if you want it. It's obviously a high end, luxury purchase as no one really "needs" and iPhone. We "need" food, water and shelter, however we do not "need" a fancy expensive device like the iPhone.

However many of us are going to buy one anyway. It's all about choices and what we want.

As far as convergence is concerned, that is not for everyone. It's simply one persons opinion. There is no argument that proves convergence is superior or more beneficial than separate devices. It's all a matter of priorities, values and what individuals want for themselves.

After all it's your choice, your money and your experience with whatever you decide on. Therefore speaking for myself, I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm going to get one because I want one.

Cheers... and Good Luck with YOUR decision....:)

5. Cantwait4iPhone

Cantwait4iPhone New Member

Just in case you didn't know what convergence is, it basically means that you will be using just one device instead of both. But otherwise, read Archer's post as he is spot on. Although the iPhone is a cool device, it is not for everyone. Make a good, educated choice by watching the keynote, reading more about it, and thinking about what you really want to do.

6. linkerjpatrick

linkerjpatrick New Member
    Bronze

I sort of wish Apple would have called it something else because the iPhone. Yes, I'm sure it easier for marketing purpose but the comment I hear too much is, "That's too much for a phone!" Well, yes, if all you are going to do is use it to make and receive phone calls it is way too much but it's not just a phone. It's an extremely user friendly mobile computing device with a phone as a major function. As a photographer I'm looking forward to using it to share photos with friends, As a learner I look forward to listening to my podcasts, as a web developer and Internet user I look forward to developing and showing others how it can be used to more effectively retrieve information on the "road". However their is a case for having this and a separate iPod and the reason is if you are involved in any physical activity while listening it's better to have a smaller flash based model like the nano or shuffle. I would need some kind assurace or serious protection if I wanted to use the iPhone at the gym.

7. jmcd

jmcd New Member

iPhone or no iPhone

put them up on ebay! Think about how much you paid for each, and then check out the price of the new iPhone when it comes out. If the difference is significant -- that should make up your mind for you... and if there really is no difference -- put the old ones up on ebay. Although, if you are really happy with what you have, maybe you should wait and see how bad the bugs are at first in the iPhones, u know? I'm sure you'll know some people who ran out and bought one, see how it works for them

8. gs_neo

gs_neo New Member

Yeah, I have that same situation. I have a pretty cool phone, and haven't had it for too long(Nov.), but still it's no iPhone. I'm pretty sold on new technology.

9. jamesdemien

jamesdemien New Member

Supposedly my treo plays music...But I never listen to music on it cause I have an Ipod. I will probably only rarely listen to music on the iPhone and continue to use my ipod at the gym or on my bike. Of course there are times like on a train or a plane or in a waiting room that listening to tunes would be nice. and because i'll have a lot of them on hand i'll most likely use the iPhone for one or two songs or videos here and there.

I hope I'm never on the elliptical trainer messaging, listening to music and sweating my butt off at the same time...

10. browntony62

browntony62 New Member

That let me bethink my friend, she said: "I have jacketing and skirt, why I couldn't have a one-piece dress?"

11. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

You could write a novel with the reasons the iPhone is so much better.

12. A333West

A333West New Member

I have an iPhone and my 80g ipod classic. I have way too much music to fit on my iPhone, so I still have both and it's not a problem. But to have 3 devices would be a little much.

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Damn... A thread that's almost 6 years old gets revived?

14. Babyt

Babyt Zealot
    Gold

Ultimate revival

Sent using iCafe app

15. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

It's nice when people search and post in threads that were already created than creating new ones. ;)

16. Babyt

Babyt Zealot
    Gold

Lol true true. It's always nice to see answers no matter when. ;)

Sent using iCafe app

17. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Wow, this is time capsule stuff. I wonder if the iPhone will be around in 2014. Also, isn't the name iPhone just a little cheesy?

18. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You are joking right? It's going to be around at least for another 5 years. I'll give it that.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You only give Apple 5 more years with the iPhone? Seriously? Why do you think that?

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you misread his post. He said at least, not only.