iPhone or iPod touch

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I have played with the iPhone and the iPod touch but im not sure which one i want and i come here for some guidance.

I have a blackberry at the moment and i like it as im used to it and can do most things with my eyes closed. I do NOT have internet on there because thats like $30 extra and the screen is small compared to iPhone or iPod touch.

so my reason for wanting an iPhone was to ability to see internet pages and pretty much browse like i would on a PC, but iPod touch comes with WiFi so it can also be used to get on the internet, but im not sure if the offer iPod touch with a $20 internet fee to be able to go online anytime you please?

so with internet on both you can watch youtube vids and also movies can be uploaded on both with same screen size and quality. Does iPod touch have weather, and traffic report?, google maps? or can someone else tell me what iPhone has that iPod touch doesn't, im sure that will help me decide.

The way i see it, iPod touch comes with 16GB and thinner and iPhone is basically same thing but with ability to make phone calls and send TXT, but i can make phone calls on my blackberry and TXT, while having iPod touch for internet, traffic, weather, google map, watching movies and videos.

Am i missing something?

thank you much!

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
I do. Know all the details between the two but I would just get the iPhone. I know that the iPod touch has no camera. I would just put it all in one device and get the iPhone. You'll love it.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
The main questions you should ask yourself are:
Do you want to carry around two separate devices all the time (phone and iPod touch)?
Do you need 16 Gigs of room for music that you have to have with you at all times or would 8 be enough?
Do you usually stay in areas of your town/city that have public access wifi available? If not, do you want a device that you can only use within Wifi range of your own house?

The main difference between the two devices is the phone and the ability to have access to the internet over the Edge network (not fast but not dreadfully slow in most cities) without having to be tied to Wifi locations.

JEWISH_GOAT

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
I have played with the iPhone and the iPod touch but im not sure which one i want and i come here for some guidance.

I have a blackberry at the moment and i like it as im used to it and can do most things with my eyes closed. I do NOT have internet on there because thats like $30 extra and the screen is small compared to iPhone or iPod touch.

so my reason for wanting an iPhone was to ability to see internet pages and pretty much browse like i would on a PC, but iPod touch comes with WiFi so it can also be used to get on the internet, but im not sure if the offer iPod touch with a $20 internet fee to be able to go online anytime you please?

so with internet on both you can watch youtube vids and also movies can be uploaded on both with same screen size and quality. Does iPod touch have weather, and traffic report?, google maps? or can someone else tell me what iPhone has that iPod touch doesn't, im sure that will help me decide.

The way i see it, iPod touch comes with 16GB and thinner and iPhone is basically same thing but with ability to make phone calls and send TXT, but i can make phone calls on my blackberry and TXT, while having iPod touch for internet, traffic, weather, google map, watching movies and videos.

Am i missing something?

thank you much!

Well, first how music-dependent are you? The iPhone is only 8 gigs, versus the iPod touch at 16 gigs. So if its music you need, and lots of it go with the touch and keep your blackberry. However, I don't see the purpose of carrying around two devices when the iPhone was designed to cater to the needs of both Ipod users and smart phone users. Its essentially everything in ONE GREAT DEVICE. Yes, it will not have as much space for songs but 8 gigs is still a lot of room for a days use.

Now if 8 gigs still doesn't grab your attention, theres a very good possibility that the iPhone V2 coming out this year will be 16 gig or maybe 32 gig model. Steve will probably give more on that topic at macworld on the 15.

GO iPhone :cool:

Viper

Bronze
Dec 31, 2007
I've had both.
Get the phone because it does soo much more.
Main things for me were the iPhone has a speaker so no earphones are needed and also has a camera. There is much more.........

4phun

Jan 10, 2008

Am i missing something?

thank you much!

This is my quandry. I have an iPod touch that does far more than an OTB iPone as it has been jailbroken. I can do everything the iPhone does except take a picture with the iPod touch and of course it does not make cellular calls.

All the standard iPhone Aps are on it too.

If I break down and buy an iPhone all I am gaining is the ability to use EDGE for data. I am thinking of keeping the iPod touch and buying the recently announced US version of the N95 or some similar big bang cell phone.

What I would love to do is figure out if the iPod touch could some how be tethered to any kind of cell phone using the Wi-Fi link.

Any ideas - anyone?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Am i missing something?

thank you much!
You won't get email on an iPod touch either.

4phun

Jan 10, 2008
You won't get email on an iPod touch either.
Pardon?

I can browse all my email on the iPod touch using the default Apple email application for the iPhone. I can reply or create new posts using the iPod touch and a WiFi connection.

AND

I have also discovered that one can use almost any Windows Mobile 6 cell phone as a WiFi access point (router) for the iPod touch with a few simple hacks. Therefore anyone with the right WinMo 5 or 6 phone can also browse the web and such using the iPod touch without having to belong to AT&T network. If they are willing to carry two devices they can have most of the benefits of the iPhone.

This also allows one to at the same time boot up a laptop and wirelessly connect to your cell phone access point. You can have both devices iPod and laptop surfing the Internet simultaneously. Neat?

I think it is.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
How did you go about getting both and why?
I got the 16gb Touch the day it was released at the Apple stores because I really wanted a iPhone but wasn't too eager about AT&T, after 2 months of having it, I barely used it and it was due to the limitation of the internet working only with wi-fi, so I moved on to the iPhone to use as my work phone, so that I can get my work emails, calendar appointments, my music for when i travel and real internet all in one device. Plus I am working on a website/iPhone project in my spare time featuring my son :laugh2:

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
I love the iPhone platform. Personally, for me and my needs, it affords the best of all platforms in one convenient package. Granted, the iPhone does not meet everyones' needs and expectations . . . But then again, that's the nature of the beast.

Regardless of what you finally decide upon, I trust you find a good working platform for yourself.

Jan 12, 2008
ok I was thinking the same. Then I was on a trip where I had no wi-fi, just phone service. Also no email client with touch. No google map. And you still have to carry a phone!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
ok I was thinking the same. Then I was on a trip where I had no wi-fi, just phone service. Also no email client with touch. No google map. And you still have to carry a phone!
Have to agree. I would not want a devise that was totaly dependent on wi-fi. Too many places that do not have it. You go on vacation or any type of trip and you may to up a creek. With the iPhone you have an option.