iPhone or iPod touch?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spardis

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
What is the main difference besides the price and the wifi. What widgets does the iPhone have that the iPod touch not have.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
of course the iPhone has the phone features, was actually thinking of buying the ipod touch and returning my iPhone but i wouldn't use wifi if i had wifi at the location im at i would probably have my whole computer on me anyways..
so using that edge is a big part when im on the go

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
...you really cant compare those two seeing as how 1 is a phone and other is a mp3..but it really depends on your situation. Do you want a 2 year contract with att and a phone or just the mp3 player?

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
The two biggest differences is the actual phone on the iPhone and the camera. On the iPhone on the dock you have Icons of Phone, Safari, Mail, & iPod. On the iPod touch you have Music, Videos, Photos, and iTunes. There is no notes, weather, google maps, and stocks on the iPod touch. You can access all of those except the notes with the safari browser, however, on the iPod touch. If you own an iPhone there is no reason to get an iPod touch. If you own an iPod touch there is still reasons to get the iPhone although it is still pretty pointless in my opinion to own both.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Here is the list of features on both:

iPhone: Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod, iTunes (Set to release next week), Settings, Notes, Calculator, Clock, Weather, Maps, Stocks, YouTube, Camera, Photos, Calendar, Text.

iPod Touch: iPod, Photos, iTunes, Settings, Calculator, Clock, Contacts (No phone), Calendar, YouTube, Safari.

Both: Safari, YouTube, Calendar, Clock, Calculator, Settings, iPod, Photos, iTunes.

Other differences: iPhone has silver chrome finish around edge, iPod does not. iPod has silver back, iPhone does not. iPod has no earpiece or mic. (No phone.)

spardis

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
of course the iPhone has the phone features, was actually thinking of buying the ipod touch and returning my iPhone but i wouldn't use wifi if i had wifi at the location im at i would probably have my whole computer on me anyways..
so using that edge is a big part when im on the go
I just don't know because i have the env from verizon and my dad says if i raise up the $400 for the iPhone than he will add me on to his contract. I don't have an mp3 player and i was most likely going to buy a 16 Gb iPod touch so that would be the same price as the iPhone. What should i do.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
If your choice is between the 16GB Touch and the 8GB iPhone, definitely get the iPhone. Wifi is not that widely available yet. You will miss the ability to get onto the internet. Trust me on that. But an additional 8GB of music, meh. I could live without that.

Plus you get a phone.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
What is the main difference besides the price and the wifi. What widgets does the iPhone have that the iPod touch not have.
it comes down to this: do you want your iPod to make phone calls or not? If yes, get an iPhone. If no, get an iPod, it's cheaper .

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
it comes down to this: do you want your iPod to make phone calls or not? If yes, get an iPhone. If no, get an iPod, it's cheaper .
You're forgetting about not having Wifi available everywhere.

So, in addition to wanting a phone, how important is getting on the internet to you?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You're forgetting about not having Wifi available everywhere.

So, in addition to wanting a phone, how important is getting on the internet to you?
Sorry, but where I live, wifi is eveywhere, including my favorite Sushi place. Anyway, you don't need wifi to make phone calls. (Edge is decent for browsing).
AT&T is no worse than T-Mobile was for PHONE calls. Most people seem to forget the iPhone is a phone first.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well, the question really is how available is wifi to spardis, or anyone else considering the question of Touch vs. iPhone. That is of course, if internet availability is important to them.

spardis

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Well, the question really is how available is wifi to spardis, or anyone else considering the question of Touch vs. iPhone. That is of course, if internet availability is important to them.
This is the thing. I want to be able to go on the internet anywhere. But i have a phone that i like and i like the widgets on the iPhone that are not on the ipod touch. What should i do.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
yes i thought be much cheaper with iPod touch because u can still install those 3rd apps i heard somewhere and which is woah same as the iPhone but like i said i need the edge, wifi is available where i go but i don't wanan pay xtra its not free at all.. and if i had wifi for the location i am i probably have the whole computer here beside having to look at this little thing

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
You could also add: Do you want a device with some of the best parts of the iPhone with you? And then have to carry another phone also.

Or do you just want an all in one device? That can still atleast connect to a network when needed and not in wifi area.

Me. I'd go for iPhone any day over new ipod. I'm a believer that a new iPhone with more space is headed our way soon, then it will be a no brainer.

But, then there's the 2 year contract. Well if you don't want that......

:)

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
If your choice is between the 16GB Touch and the 8GB iPhone, definitely get the iPhone. Wifi is not that widely available yet. You will miss the ability to get onto the internet. Trust me on that. But an additional 8GB of music, meh. I could live without that.

Plus you get a phone.
yes true but it gets u away from that 2 yr contract

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Sorry, but where I live, wifi is eveywhere, including my favorite Sushi place. Anyway, you don't need wifi to make phone calls. (Edge is decent for browsing).
AT&T is no worse than T-Mobile was for PHONE calls. Most people seem to forget the iPhone is a phone first.
id like to know where it is you live that wifi is so available. I live in brooklyn and work in manhattan, yet im almost always connected through edge. Sure i get wifi sometimes but i wouldn't sacrifice edge for an additional 8 gigs of HD. What is 16 gigs anyway?

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
I noticed that others have not listed that the iPhone also has a speaker and a mic that the ipod touch does not. The iPhone also has volume buttons on the side and also bluetooth. Thought you would be spending more on the iPhone with 8gb. You can "activate" the iPhone to use as an ipod touch plus more until you decide on weather you want to go with the phone features. If you are not worried about space, then the iPhone is a great choice for the additional features and also the ability to mod it. The ipod touch is on its way for modding, but the hacking community is still trying to gain access. So it can be some time. If it were me, I would go with the iPhone.

- Garrett

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I noticed that others have not listed... bluetooth.
You're right about the buttons and the mic, but of what use is bluetooth without the phone? The phone features are the only bluetooth features that work. It's not like Apple included A2DP or any other Bluetooth profile. You can't pair a keyboard or any other device to the iPhone.

I can see some occasional use for Google maps on the touch (which was left out), but I see absolutely ZERO use for bluetooth on the touch, except for the potential that a hacker could add the missing A2DP profiles. But no one's done that for the iPhone yet and the hackers have REALLY come a LOOOOOONG way in such a short amount of time. We practically even have a pseudo-GPS, which is amazing since the phone doesn't have GPS hardware! But still no A2DP. :(

But anyway, barring the potential for someone adding the other profiles, I don't see the use for bluetooth on the touch. And Apple CERTAINLY wouldn't add it. Why would they? The only bluetooth profile Apple wants to give us is voice calling, and you don't have that on the touch.