iPhone or no iPhone? That is the question. Please help.

Sep 17, 2009
I need some help deciding whether or not to get the iPhone. My contract with my current provider is up in one month and am alittle leaning towards going to ATT to get the iPhone since I hear lots of good things about them. Then, I was able to get my hands on one to play with it for some time and it has not impressed me very much, although many people love them. My problem with the iPhone is that it cant run multiple applications at the same time. And another is that it doesn't have live tv like my current phone does. The iPhone has everything my current phone has but my current phone also has a lot more including unlimited data and text for $10 (yes only $10) instead of the $30-$50 data/text for the iPhone. I use my live TV all the time and thats also included in my plan. Well to make things easier my current phone is the Mogul from Sprint. It has everything and I can customize it anyway I like. It has Windows Mobile 6.1 and unlike Apple I can do pretty much anything I want with this phone. Install any applications, modify registry settings, change the theme of the phone. Im afraid if I go with the iPhone I may not be able to do all the things I currently do with my current phone. I know there are millions of apps for the iPhone but most cost money. Has anyone went from a Windows businesss phone to an iPhone and like it?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Well, it's definitely a personal decision. All I can do for you is offer my insight to the situation, but ultimately you'll have to decide based upon your priorities, wants and needs in a phone.

First off, you need to understand that there is a "wonderful world of jailbreaking" available for the iPhone. Jailbreaking your iPhone has now been refined to a very simple, safe and effective way to customize your iPhone how you want to. Jailbreaking allows multi-tasking (via a free application called Backgrounder). As far a TV goes, there are some applications available in Apple's AppStore that are free and paid that will allow you to watch TV shows on your iPhone (whether it's Live or not, I don't know, I don't use it).

There really isn't much you can do as far as texting/data costs. The data plan for the iPhone is $30/month and you can get texting packages anywhere from $5 - $20/month. You can do without the data at your own risk and use Wifi only. If you don't have a data plan and use AT&T's data service, you'll be stuck paying per kilobyte.

Another option you have is to purchase an unlock iPhone from the Marketplace here, eBay, Craigslist, etc. and use it on T-Mobile. Their coverage isn't as good as AT&T but their plans are cheaper.

Personally, I love my iPhone and I'm saving some money by having some people on my family plan (thereforee, I can split the cost of texting down to $5 for unlimited text for me), but I still pay my $30 for the data. It's well worth it to me, as my iPhone is a power horse when I'm on the go and for daily use.

Good luck on your decision, I hope this helped!

:)

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Sounds like you have the perfect phone for you so you might as well keep it since you weren't too impressed by your experience with the iPhone.

If you jailbreak an iPhone you can run programs in the background. I'm not sure about a TV program. Have you looked at a Palm Pre? I personally feel that the iPhone 3 GS is the best phone in the world but it may not be for you.
Good luck

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
This is my opinion...your opinion is your own and I respect that.

I went from an HTC, like yourself, to the iPhone 3G...now the 3G-S.
I was a HUGE fan of the customizing on my HTC Kaiser (AT&T Tilt) and was a little hesitant to make the switch to Apple. I'm happy I did.

To me, there is no comparison between the laggy WinMo OS and the quick iPhone OS. If I want to watch anything I can do so without worrying about the choppy video...this goes with recording video as well.

As far as customizing? There's a nice little thing called Jailbreaking. Jailbreaking can allow you to change themes, much like installing a new ROM on WinMo. Oh, don't like the look of the icon rows/columns?...luckily there are the iNav themes which allow a completely different setup. The greatest part about customizing the iPhone?...Good luck trying to permanently brick the phone. The 3G/3Gs will only let you get so far before you are able to DFU restore.

Let's talk about 'touchscreens' for a second. With my HTC, I had to actually press either my stylus or fingernail onto the screen for it to respond. The iPhone will do that with a ridge of my fingerprint. True, newer HTC phones are getting much better at this...but not a Mogul.

The iPhone was much more than I had hoped for in my old HTC...simple as that. Yeah, I can't watch live tv but I have 32gigs of space to allow for seasons upon seasons or even multiple full length movies. And all with no lag. It's worth the extra $30 I spend.

This is my opinion...your opinion is your own and I respect that.

PS: XDA-Developers rocks!

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Correction to the TV issue. There's an App for that! It's called SlingPlayer Mobile and it's $29 and you also have to have a sling box on your home TV. There are probably other options, I just haven't checked.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Sounds like you have the perfect phone for you so you might as well keep it since you weren't too impressed by your experience with the iPhone.

If you jailbreak an iPhone you can run programs in the background. I'm not sure about a TV program. Have you looked at a Palm Pre? I personally feel that the iPhone 3 GS is the best phone in the world but it may not be for you.
Good luck
The Palm Pre may be his best bet at this time if he wants true multitasking. It pains me to say this, but it's true. Until Apple allows apps (and I'm not referring here to the stock phone, browsing and mail apps) to multitask with resorting to jailbreaking, the Pre will always have it beaten in that area.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
The Palm Pre may be his best bet at this time if he wants true multitasking. It pains me to say this, but it's true. Until Apple allows apps (and I'm not referring here to the stock phone, browsing and mail apps) to multitask with resorting to jailbreaking, the Pre will always have it beaten in that area.
You mean without resorting to jailbreaking I'm assuming? At any rate, jailbreaking is so simple and refined now, why WOULDN'T you jailbreak if you want multitasking?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The Pre still multitasks more elegantly than a jailbroken iPhone.

Don't get me wrong, now - except for the multitasking, I believe that the 3GS runs rings around the Pre. Video recording and editing, the ability to forward text messages, apps opening faster, are all great features of the latest iPhone model.

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks all for all your feedback. I guess I have to weigh out the pros and cons for each device and see who wins. Does "Jailbreaking" void any kind of warranty or insurance you may have on the iPhone?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks all for all your feedback. I guess I have to weigh out the pros and cons for each device and see who wins. Does "Jailbreaking" void any kind of warranty or insurance you may have on the iPhone?
Technically, yes. However, if you ever need warranty work, etc. you just restore your iPhone through iTunes to the factory state by setting it up as New iPhone and that will completely wipe/erase any traces of jailbreaking.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The Pre uses multitasking app "cards" that you can slide among on the home screen. To close an app, just swipe it upwards on the screen and it disappears.

The apps mQuickDo and Backgrounder allow the user of a jailbroken iPhone to approximate this functionality, but the Pre does it natively.

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
I switched from a palm treo 750 and the touch pro to the iPhone. I like the iPhone better. if you jailbreak the iPhone there are a ton of free tv apps. i am using mobile tv right now and love it. For me though you could customise windows mobile the os was a little archaic for me. i didn't multitaks with either of those or the iPhone. I have wondered where M$ was going to take the windows mobile OS and looking at the past it seems that it isn't going to change much and HTC has started doing some things like Apple and locking things down or limiting the hardware to specs lower than the hardware can run. Like the 3d graphics on the touch pro. But it all depends on which features are the most important to you. Good luck with your decision.

Mar 22, 2008
Well I love the screen and the iPhone os interface. The restisive screen on the wm phone is poor. However I use a wm phone for businesss and the iPhone just doesn't cut it for me. I need a proper way to edit office docs. I need to be able to store real documents on my phone not just music and pix. I shouldn't have to jailbreak to see the file system or attach any file I want to an email. Push seems to take care of 90% of the backgrounding issues on the iPhone. Give me the wonderful capacitive screen and the great iPhone nterface with awesome selection of wm apps and os.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
That's the other side of the argument too. I could see using a BB or WinMo to do 'work' but luckily I only have to utilize work programs in an office...

...so a PC > any mobile device. lol

Mar 22, 2008
my wife and I really like her iPod touch and an iPhone would be great for her except that her phone is $10/mo from vzw on our shared plan.

After 10 years on wm I'm well entrenched but the Android phones intrigue me too as they are such an open os.

It'll be interesting when lte hits big and phones won't be so carrier specific.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
larsdennert;518209 It'll be interesting when lte hits big and phones won't be so carrier specific.[/QUOTE said:
Agreed. Then folks will buy cell phones according to what they want and not on what carrier they prefer.