iPhone or no?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 8, 2007
Hello, I was wondering if i could get an iPhone and just activate it somehow without having to get a contract with att... I really want an ipod touch, but it seems to be missing mail, weather and maps! Is there any way i can have it activated to just use it as a wifi ipod with maps, camera, mail and internet device? thanks for all your help :)

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
so even if i bought an iPhone that was used and someone had already activated on it, i couldnt use it without a SIM card?
If there is no SIM card in it, the iPhone wont let you use any of its functions. Iam not too sure whether or not you can access wifi if you activate it without ATT. if you can then google maps will work and you have yourself a improved Ipod Touch.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
I got my replacement iPhone last week, and I used it without a sim card when I first opened it. Everything worked (even Wi-Fi) without my sim card, except for the phone feature of course. I thought it was strange because I thought that nothing at all could work without a sim card...

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I got my replacement iPhone last week, and I used it without a sim card when I first opened it. Everything worked (even Wi-Fi) without my sim card, except for the phone feature of course. I thought it was strange because I thought that nothing at all could work without a sim card...
ya the phone usually just locks itself with no sim

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
wow, thats actually a pretty amazing piece of info. if this is true for all phones, then that more than answers the OP's question. so to clarify, the email app worked, and youtube worked?

Bboy Trick

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
NJ
You can activate the phone and take out the sim and just used it for its apps. I have more info about how to do it in a Mac Life magazine.
So pm me or aim me for more infomation.