iPhone or Nokia N82

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm not really a fan of the iPhone, all the technology's really dated and it's only real appeal is that it has a nice smile and a friendly tone. The problem is I'm a touch screen fanboy and I want the Nokia touch screen phone but I'm here with a contract that's about to run out and I expect it'll be at least a year before any Nokia touch screen phones come out. I'd like to upgrade to the N82 cos it looks really good but the problem is that I already have an N93 so while the phone will certainly be better, it's not really gonna be an exciting upgrade, I'll fiddle with the accelerometer and the GPS for a few minutes then it'll be just like having my old phone again only with everything working a little faster.

This is where the iPhone comes in. It would be an interesting upgrade, primarily because I'd just unlock it and have access to a whole new catalogue of software from a totally new homebrew scene. But going back to 2G, and no flash or video, and everything else that's wrong with it. I think I'd end up being sick of it and go back to my N93, but I can't get it out my head. I know I should get the N82 cos for the life of me I NEED that GPS, I can't navigate for crap. And I already hate iTunes for my iPod and I love how my Nokia talks to my PC but I really want a touch screen smartphone that doesn't need a stylus and the iPhone seems like the only one for a while.

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
I'm not really a fan of the iPhone, all the technology's really dated and it's only real appeal is that it has a nice smile and a friendly tone. The problem is I'm a touch screen fanboy and I want the Nokia touch screen phone but I'm here with a contract that's about to run out and I expect it'll be at least a year before any Nokia touch screen phones come out. I'd like to upgrade to the N82 cos it looks really good but the problem is that I already have an N93 so while the phone will certainly be better, it's not really gonna be an exciting upgrade, I'll fiddle with the accelerometer and the GPS for a few minutes then it'll be just like having my old phone again only with everything working a little faster.

This is where the iPhone comes in. It would be an interesting upgrade, primarily because I'd just unlock it and have access to a whole new catalogue of software from a totally new homebrew scene. But going back to 2G, and no flash or video, and everything else that's wrong with it. I think I'd end up being sick of it and go back to my N93, but I can't get it out my head. I know I should get the N82 cos for the life of me I NEED that GPS, I can't navigate for crap. And I already hate iTunes for my iPod and I love how my Nokia talks to my PC but I really want a touch screen smartphone that doesn't need a stylus and the iPhone seems like the only one for a while.

Get the iPhone and a good Garmin unit. The best phone based GPS won't touch the features available on the average Garmin.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I've been a Nokia fan since my second cell phone. The first was a Motorola Bag phone ;)

I love Nokia products but I haven't really seen one that comes close to the style of the iPhone. I do however miss a lot of the features that are standard on Nokia phones. But all in all I'd still keep the iPhone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have an iPhone and love it, but being at the end of your contract means nothing except you have the opportunity to switch. You can carry your existing package over month to month just by continuing to pay the bill and you can spend more time researching before making the leap to a new phone -any new phone.
I have no doubt that the nokia phone is going to be something special, but remember that iPhone 2.0 is probably going to come out at the same time, if not a little before, and might change your perspective somewhat.
If you are not sure, wait and research. Otherwise, I am sure that you would be happy overall with the iPhone.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I was never planning on signing up for the two year iPhone contract, no chance. I was going to get one imported from the US since it's the cheapest way, the warranty will be voided within minutes of me opening it anyway. If it wasn't for the homebrew scene I wouldn't even be considering an iPhone. I'm gonna see if I can get the N82 for free on a contract then maybe get a second hand iPhone after Xmas, best of both then, or maybe just get an iPod Touch if the homebrew stuff works with them.

I've read a lot of blogs saying that the N82 is basically a turbo charged N95 that's smaller, some saying it's pretty much the best phone you can get right now. Can't argue with that.