iPhone or not? Some please advise me.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SonoPixie

Oct 1, 2007
Kentucky
I am becoming obsessed with the iPhone. I really want want but am trying not to but on a whim. I currently have a cing 8125. It is cool when it works, but, 1. It locks up randomly and I have to hard kill it. 2. Most pages don't load when on the web and when they do it, all the info is not there 3. When I get a voicemail and then delete it, for around 3 or 4 days the icon for voice message is still on the phone. 4. I can't see my photos in good lighting. 5. The camera is not all that. 5. When using excel, the page is so small I can't keep track of what I'm doing. 6. The unlimited data package costs $39.99 a month and mostly all I get from it is my work email. 7. I will get killed in my car (I know, don't drive and look in my phone book), trying to look up a number if it does not have a voice tag. 8. I can't find how to sign on to any WIFI network, such as the wireless internet where I work, so I can't use the internet where I have no phone connection.
But I am worried after reading many of the posts. 1. It seems if I'm not a techie, I won't be able to fix whatever goes wrong with the iPhone. 2. I have a computer and a laptop with windows XP, not MAC (will I have a sync problem). 3. Whenever I try to download iTunes to my lap top, it times out (I cannot get a faster connection where I live. I think it is 1.5 kb). 4. The IT folks where I worke are still trying to get their work email to come to the iPhone. They told me today they think they have found a work around. 5. My techie nephew said to wait till they come out with a 3G iPhone (Does 3G even work everywhere?). 6. There is no Apple store that I know of in my town, there is a comp usa that is an Apple consultant. 7. I can't find in any of my research if the iPhone has voice tags where you can just hit a button and say, Mom's cell, and it will call her. 8. I saw on one of the recent threads where someone had a problem and basically had to reset the iPhone and it still did not fix it. When this is done, do you lose all your stored data.
I need some reassurance from you guys. It seems like it is very complicated to even activate it and I don't even know how to use an ipod (but I would really like to). Does the ipone come with a user guide like a camera does? I am really ashamed :oops: to even ask what most likely seems like silly questions to all of you. I want one really bad and have many Cingular (ATT) stores in my area. I also have my contract with Cing/ATT at this time. I have never used MAC or owned an Apple product.
(Sorry if there are spelling errors. I can't find a spell check on here and I can't spell worth a darn.)
Thanks in advance for anyhelp, Sheila Rae

Some of you please have pity on my ignorance and help me decide what to do. I have the money to get one tomorrow.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I am becoming obsessed with the iPhone. I really want want but am trying not to but on a whim. I currently have a cing 8125. It is cool when it works, but, 1. It locks up randomly and I have to hard kill it. 2. Most pages don't load when on the web and when they do it, all the info is not there 3. When I get a voicemail and then delete it, for around 3 or 4 days the icon for voice message is still on the phone. 4. I can't see my photos in good lighting. 5. The camera is not all that. 5. When using excel, the page is so small I can't keep track of what I'm doing. 6. The unlimited data package costs $39.99 a month and mostly all I get from it is my work email. 7. I will get killed in my car (I know, don't drive and look in my phone book), trying to look up a number if it does not have a voice tag. 8. I can't find how to sign on to any WIFI network, such as the wireless internet where I work, so I can't use the internet where I have no phone connection.
But I am worried after reading many of the posts. 1. It seems if I'm not a techie, I won't be able to fix whatever goes wrong with the iPhone. 2. I have a computer and a laptop with windows XP, not MAC (will I have a sync problem). 3. Whenever I try to download iTunes to my lap top, it times out (I cannot get a faster connection where I live. I think it is 1.5 kb). 4. The IT folks where I worke are still trying to get their work email to come to the iPhone. They told me today they think they have found a work around. 5. My techie nephew said to wait till they come out with a 3G iPhone (Does 3G even work everywhere?). 6. There is no Apple store that I know of in my town, there is a comp usa that is an Apple consultant. 7. I can't find in any of my research if the iPhone has voice tags where you can just hit a button and say, Mom's cell, and it will call her. 8. I saw on one of the recent threads where someone had a problem and basically had to reset the iPhone and it still did not fix it. When this is done, do you lose all your stored data.
I need some reassurance from you guys. It seems like it is very complicated to even activate it and I don't even know how to use an ipod (but I would really like to). Does the ipone come with a user guide like a camera does? I am really ashamed :oops: to even ask what most likely seems like silly questions to all of you. I want one really bad and have many Cingular (ATT) stores in my area. I also have my contract with Cing/ATT at this time. I have never used MAC or owned an Apple product.
(Sorry if there are spelling errors. I can't find a spell check on here and I can't spell worth a darn.)

Some of you please have pity on my ignorance and help me decide what to do. I have the money to get one tomorrow.
well, it's really up to you but the iPhone model is quite killing me is very beautiful although it have cons. for example like no sms delivery reports,no picture message, no 3G , no HSPDA. but still a nice phone that i ever have.

to using iPhone is quite simple. the guide how to using iPhone can be downloaded at Apple.com website :D i've seen it there. so my point is if you think u like the phone then go for it. as for me i have 2 of em. one for me and the others for my wife.

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA

well u are on a iPhone message board so obviously its gonna be a little bias, but get an iPhone lol
VIDEO OUT IS AWSOME!

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I'm not a "techie" kind of guy at all. I LOVE this phone. I've always owned POS phones, so I don't have much to compare with.
I can say this for sure, I'll never go back to a cheap phone again after this. I'll most likely be getting a new iPhone when it's time to dump this one.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
1. It seems if I'm not a techie, I won't be able to fix whatever goes wrong with the iPhone. 2. I have a computer and a laptop with windows XP, not MAC (will I have a sync problem). 3. Whenever I try to download iTunes to my lap top, it times out (I cannot get a faster connection where I live. I think it is 1.5 kb). 4. The IT folks where I worke are still trying to get their work email to come to the iPhone. They told me today they think they have found a work around. 5. My techie nephew said to wait till they come out with a 3G iPhone (Does 3G even work everywhere?). 6. There is no Apple store that I know of in my town, there is a comp usa that is an Apple consultant. 7. I can't find in any of my research if the iPhone has voice tags where you can just hit a button and say, Mom's cell, and it will call her. 8. I saw on one of the recent threads where someone had a problem and basically had to reset the iPhone and it still did not fix it. When this is done, do you lose all your stored data.
Let me give you my best answers to your questions.
1. Unless you are trying to hack the iPhone yourself and install 3rd party applications then you really don't have to worry (for right now) about something going wrong with the phone. If you leave it in the OEM stage then there is nothing to interfere with the iPhone and you don't have to be a techie to use the iPhone out of the box.
2. I do not have a Mac computer either and I have never had a problem synching iPods or my iPhone to my computers. It really is as easy as plugging it in and opening iTunes.
3. I'm not really sure how to go around the slow connection speed. I would just keep checking to see if high speed is indeed available, but I don't see why the slow connection speed would cause iTunes to time-out on a download. If you know how, maybe you should use the control panel to uninstall all (if any) previous versison of iTunes before trying to install the newest software.
4. As of right now there really isn't a way to get corporate e-mail to the iPhone (unless you want to get into the techie side of it) though it might be possible in a later Apple update.
5. I had a Samsung Blackjack with 3G and I would RARELY ever be in a 3G optimized area, so I was always running on the EDGE network anyway. The main reason that Apple didn't make the iPhone 3G is because of its current lack of coverage, which in time, I'm sure will be fixed.
6. Even though there is no Apple store in your area you shouldn't let this deter you from getting an iPhone. I got my iPhone from AT&T and not the Apple store and it hasn't really played a factor at all. If you have questions I am sure that you can get them answered at the Comp USA and then there is always the forum :laugh2:.
7. I could be wrong but I don't think that Voice Calling is available as of yet without the use of some sort of 3rd party application but don't quote me because I am not absolutely certain. Again, it could be added with a later Apple update.
8. The only real reason I could see that would make the iPhone mess up is if a person has tried (unsuccessfuly) to add 3rd party applications on their iPhone or if the person has unlocked the iPhone and then they have problems with it. But, if this happens and you restore, most of the information is saved on the iPhone. I believe (not 100% sure, so again, sorry) that only your photos and music get deleted from the iPhone but can easily be added again by resynching the iPhone.

SonoPixie

Oct 1, 2007
Kentucky
Thanks all

Thanks Ya'all for your replies. I has made me feel a lot better. I brought my laptop to work today to use the hospital's wireless internet to try and download iTunes. I just want to be sure it is not some spyware blocking thing going on. There is some search and destroy thing my nephew put on my laptop. Anyway, I suspect that if I down load iTunes ok, I may get a iPhone some night this week. I car pool with someone so I have to drive back home to a neighboring town (in the country), then drive back. I will have to check store hours.
Thanks again and I'm sure I will have questions, Sheila Rae

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Thanks Ya'all for your replies. I has made me feel a lot better. I brought my laptop to work today to use the hospital's wireless internet to try and download iTunes. I just want to be sure it is not some spyware blocking thing going on. There is some search and destroy thing my nephew put on my laptop. Anyway, I suspect that if I down load iTunes ok, I may get a iPhone some night this week. I car pool with someone so I have to drive back home to a neighboring town (in the country), then drive back. I will have to check store hours.
Thanks again and I'm sure I will have questions, Sheila Rae
Sheila, you can purchase the iPhone from AT&T, you don't have to get the phone at the Apple store.

iTunes, is relatively easy to use. Keep in mind, as a beginner, that the iPhone/iPod touch and every other Ipod are mirrors of whats on your computer. If you remove a song from your laptop, it will be removed from your iPhone/touch/pod.

Once you get your iPhone, let us know how much your enjoying or disliking your experience. Myself, I have been hanging out on these forums learning while I make up my mind to get one.

I am currently trying to outweigh the pros/cons with one carrier/plan VS another.