iPhone or Samsung Galaxy SII

Aug 31, 2010
I've played around with both, and while the Galaxy has some pretty neat features that Apple could stand to learn from, I just cannot get past how well the iPhone UI suits me. I think if you're looking for advice on specs/features, there are perfectly good arguments to be made for both. In my opinion, it all comes down to how that phone feels in your hand and as you use it.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I currently own both iPhone 4S and GS2 Skyrocket. Between the 2, I prefer the iPhone 4S due to its better camera. I was able to customize the Skyrocket more than the iPhone 4S but kinda wore off after a few weeks because I ended up getting rid of all the widgets and livewallpaper just to get best battery life. The screen is larger on the Skyrocket but it doesn't compare in clarity to the Retina display. I'm still waiting for LTE to become available in my area but I think by that time, Apple will have an LTE iPhone out. Ice Cream Sandwhich should improve the device when it's released for the Skyrocket. The Appstore has higher quality and more polished apps than the Android Marketplace. Some of my Android apps, like Sportacular, lock up and I have to force close them. I sometimes have problems getting rid of notifications such as missed calls even after going to my call log history several times. After 4 years, you would think Google would have worked out most of the bugs. Fragmentation will always be a problem as long as it's an open OS. Carriers will always be able to tinker with it and screw something up.

my 2 cents:)

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
you wouldn't happened to have a list of smartphones that are 100% made in the US would you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Italy is my own country, so I guess I better buy 2 cups and a 7 foot string because I'm out of luck.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if this qualifies Samsung as the smartphone brand with the largest investment in actual manufacturing on US soil.

http://Androidandme.com/2012/01/new...iii-processor-made-deep-in-the-heart-of-texas

Ironic really that Apple outsources much of the parts and assembly overseas and Samsung doing the same, shifts that work from Korea back to the US.

Some would argue that Apple is the only smartphone brand that aggregates revenue into the US. The counter of course is that as a top of the pyramid company lacking any foundation in manufacturing, this revenue is quickly funnelled to the few in the board rooms.

The chip fab is a high tech foundry, distributing that revenue deeper into the organization versus the money trail of a retail shop. It's much like comparing the incomes of auto-workers to that of Starbuck's baristas.

Yes, I know that politics and Apple had a hand in Samsung's decision to operate in Texas. My own province is trying to bring Samsung heavy industry in to execute eco-power by way of wind and solar manufacturing. End of the day though, it's Samsung's know how that keeps these facilities updating. Not the type heavy lift that Apple has any intent of developing.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Heard today that the s II doesn't have a flash. Is that correct?
Nope. There are multiple variants and all have a flash. Agree that lacking it would be embarrassing.

sgs2.jpg

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Not sure if you made up your mind yet, but I recommend you check out this rant because it's coming from an Android guy. As an iPhone owner I couldn't agree more with his opinion.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/mobile...r-a-good-time-to-buy-an-android-device-video/

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app
Curious, how do you know it's an Android guy?

Would add, yes, globally Android headlines give you the impression that a top tier phone is released every 1-3 months.

Personally though I tend to restrict myself to two brands that best meet my particular values. Within these two brands and from my carrier I find that their top end model is updated every 9 to 15 months.

To me the rest of the press around devices of mid or entry grade or unavailable in my country with my carrier is kind of like Apple's rumour mill in that it doesn't actually provide me any opportunity to upgrade my current hardware.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

iSystem

Dec 27, 2011
What separates the iPhone from the rest ? Its part of my personality, it defines who i am, its a status symbol, not many people in South Africa own an iPhone

Sεnd frΘm my ipħΘnε using iCafe app

Jan 12, 2012
Not sure if you made up your mind yet, but I recommend you check out this rant because it's coming from an Android guy. As an iPhone owner I couldn't agree more with his opinion.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/mobile...r-a-good-time-to-buy-an-android-device-video/

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app
That can be irritating if you let it. However, I never did.

Background: Android OS user with an OG Droid, a Droid X and then moved to a Galaxy Nexus, Android's "flagship". I had the GNex for about 6 weeks and it's the phone that finally drove me to buy an iPhone.

I rooted all of my Android phones, custom ROMS, my 4S was jailbroken the weekend after I got it (within 72 hours of the jailbreak release) and is now moving further from custom. I use my phone for work and I am in the field a lot so it gets USED as a serious businesss tool. I have never used my phone for music or stored videos, only web browsing, etc. and more hardcore apps for businesss.

To me, the best thing about the iPhone is that it just works. It's easy to use for the majority of people who don't want a headache, but offers enough customization for those who want to make it their own. The display is gorgeous, the camera is awesome, battery life is sublime and Siri is awesome.

Coming from an Android phone, sometimes I feel like I'm wearing shackles. There is so much that is locked down on the iPhone it's not funny. From icon placement, up to the lack of widgets, the inability to browse the file structure, inability to directly download and set ringtones, etc., the iPhone feels a bit big brotherish. It's the phone how IT wants it to be, not how YOU want it to be. Jailbreaking the phone frees it up tremendously, however it still feels a bit awkward trying to customize the thing, like a reluctant date in the back seat on prom night.

I was also expecting the Apple App store to simply blow the Android Marketplace out of the water. For the comparison to be Chevy vs. Ferrari. I've found so far, it's not. More like VW vs. Audi. Cut from similar cloth and less separating them than you would think from the reputation.

And the screen. Jesus is it tiny.

I feel bad for the Android world, in a way. The fractionation of the phones / OS's really divides people. It's weird that the Galaxy Nexus is the only phone running Android 4.0.x, Ice Cream Sandwhich. Why can other phones with capable hardware upgrade? ICS really is a quantum leap over previous Android OS's. It's a shame that only ONE phone uses it while the rest of the Android world waits or turns to developer ROM's porting over ICS's features, but never being as smooth as "Vanilla" Android. That fractured existence keeps Android from being as much as it can be.

In the end my Google Nexus was an amazing phone with serious flaws. Poor camera, poor battery life, signal issues and data connection issues. The phone's release was delayed and delayed and it shows as the public is still the beta tester. Interestingly enough, my Droid X had better battery life, better signal and no data issues. Why isn't moving forward better? Not enough research, I guess.

Having said that, I do really like the iPhone. Untethered, it's much more satisfying to use. It's stable, easy to use and just damn works. I'm sure that as I learn more about it, I'll grow to like it more. I'm excited to do so.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Great post, needsdecalf.

Be sure to check out our jailbreak forums. Many of our members are proficient with customization and might be able to help if you ever have any questions.