iPhone OS 3.0 made my phone unusable

KevinDC5

Apr 22, 2009
I had just finished downloading os 3.0 and it appeared it was done installing, when it gave me error code (9). Saying its in recovery mode and needs to be restored. BUT it will not restore?!?!?!?!? HELPP!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm going through the same thing right now, except I'm getting error 14. Try rebooting the comp and changing to a different USB port and post back if that doesn't work.

It didn't work for me, so I deleted the 3.0 ipsw file (in case it was corrupt) and I'm downloading it again right now.

Are you on a PC or Mac?

KevinDC5

Apr 22, 2009
how do i delete the 3.0 file? How do I roll back to 2.3

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
On Windows:
Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
On Mac:
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

There is no 2.3 FW, the one previous to 3.0 was 2.2.1. I don't see any reason not to do 3.0. You just got a corrupt download and need to delete it. Delete the ipsw, connect your phone, and restore in iTunes. It will automatically redownload the new 3.0 FW. It worked for me. Good luck.

KevinDC5

Apr 22, 2009
WELL....I tried restoring it and gave me an error, phone restarted, told me to restore which i did.Unknown error again, phone restarted told me to restore. See the circle?

Dakine

Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
I think I will wait a couple of days. What is interesting to me is as of 6/17/09 12:07 the Apple Discussion user board seems to be down, when I click the link the page comes back

file not found

macc55

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
I can't remember the solution. I think you need to turn it off (or keep it on). Then you keep you finger on the HOME button. Then while your finger is on the home button connect it with I tunes. Keep your finger on it for a minute. It should fix it.

Bboy iphone

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
NJ
This is bull the same thing is happening to me and now I don't have a phone!

dutchtrumpet

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
What did ATT and Apple say when you guys called?

Bboy iphone

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
NJ
I never called them but I will tomorrow because I think it might be too late.

Bboy iphone

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
NJ
I tried restarting the phone and using a different usb. Thanks a lot but nothing works. It went through earlier but then went back into that connect to iTunes mode.

Bboy iphone

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
NJ
Just do a hard reset on the phone and I just tried it and it worked.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
you mean pressing both buttons at the same time? I tried that.....

trevorpdx

Jun 17, 2009
I'm having the same issue. Any other ideas...? I've tried rebooting the phone, my computer, reinstalling iTunes, etc...

One thing I have been unable to try is deleting the update file, downloading it again, and going from there. I'm on Vista, and when I go to my App Data folder, then the iTunes one, there is no "iPhone Update" folder or anything like that... any ideas on where the update file is downloaded to, and what I can do to take it off and restart?

Any help is much appreciated!

Trevor

you mean pressing both buttons at the same time? I tried that.....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had the exact same problem today. Here's how I got it fixed.

I downloaded a corrupt 3.0 file and got the error 14 during install which then prompted a restore. The restore wouldn't go through because the 3.0 ipsw was corrupt. I deleted the 3.0 ipsw that I just downloaded, plugged back into iTunes, which prompted the restore, and since 3.0 was gone, it automatically redownloaded it. After that I was able to restore to 3.0 successfuly.

Here's where the file is located. Delete it and then redownload and restore.
On Windows:
Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
On Mac:

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
OK I did exacatly what you said and I am in the same place I was. endless "iTunes has discovered a phone etc. and then error 14 again and then back to the beginning....

I had the exact same problem today. Here's how I got it fixed.

I downloaded a corrupt 3.0 file and got the error 14 during install which then prompted a restore. The restore wouldn't go through because the 3.0 ipsw was corrupt. I deleted the 3.0 ipsw that I just downloaded, plugged back into iTunes, which prompted the restore, and since 3.0 was gone, it automatically redownloaded it. After that I was able to restore to 3.0 successfuly.

Here's where the file is located. Delete it and then redownload and restore.
On Windows:
On Mac:

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
If you have access to another pc with iTunes on it. Try restoring the phone on the other computer. Then, resync on your normal computer to get all your personal info on it.

That's what I did last night to get my wife's phone working. Her's had the same error message, but restoring on a different pc (to a brand new phone with 3.0) worked for some reason. Then I was able to sync to her pc.