iPhone out of warranty service

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by chris, May 2, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

My wife's iPhone 4 is outside of Apple's 1 year warranty and now the microphone is not working. It'll work for a matter of seconds and then boom -- I cannot hear anything. While this might be a good app for husbands, it's adversely affecting her when she makes calls.

She rarely updates her iPhone, so I'm thinking it's hardware. With her iPhone out of warranty, will Apple replace it or offer service?

She's up for a full subsidy, but the podcast I listen to recommends waiting for the new iPhone 5.:)

Is this one of those 50/50, be nice and hope for the best type deals?

2. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

How far out of warranty is it ?
    Sometimes the folks at the Apple store are generous and will replace it.
    I have done that before, but it was only maybe 1 month out of warranty.
    Also, don't know which one she has, but some stores are low on white 16gb phones and will switch it for a 4s.
    Good luck

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'd give it a go at the store.
    One of the reasons I buy Apple products, the top notch customer service, although the genius bar has far less leaway since the introduction of Apple
    Care + with the 4S.
    That may actually work in your favor since its a 4....
    I'd try a few times before giving up.

4. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

A lot of times, Apple will let you buy a refurbished phone for under $100 when you have a major problem with an out of warranty iPhone. You will not lose your upgrade qualification by doing this.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a Genius Bar appointment for Friday morning at 9 am. The phone is cased, with screen protector and no visible damage. Hoping they'll take that into consideration. Problem is consistent now, despite a full restore. Person on the other end can hear for my wife for a number of seconds and then it goes dead. You can still hear the person you've called, which is actually pretty funny. "Hello, hello?":LOL:

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Well I wonder what they will do? Repair is one more option there are many places who will repair it for less then what Apple charges. Hopefully The Apple store can help you. I am for once excited I will live close to 4 Apple stores + 5 in the DC area.

7. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

i have about about a million iPhones with hardware problems and they have always replaced them for me.

maybe i'm just lucky.. the only time they haven't replaced my phone was when i cracked my screen on my original iPhone and they had already released the 3gs. so i was a few models behind and also it was my fault it was broken.

good luck!

8. Robert Brickman

Robert Brickman New Member

I would go to the store and see what they do. I went into the store today to see what a screen replacement costs and they just swapped it out with a new phone for free. Apple's customer service really is THE BEST, hands-down. By the way, Chris, which screen protector do you use on your phone?