iPhone Outlook Exchange email issue

1. Kandy

Kandy New Member

Might someone offer a suggestion or two on this rather odd problem?

I do not receive Outlook emails on my iPhone unless I have opened the email in Outlook first. Leaving Outlook open on my desktop computer does not work; I have to literally open the e-mail before it will show up on my iPhone. I can send email from my Outlook account (run from an Exchange server at work) on my iPhone and it works just fine. Other people at work are not having this issue and my iPhone worked just fine for a while so I am suspecting a user error of some sort.

Additional clues that might be useful - calendar and contacts react the same way. I will not see calendar events on my iPhone unless I open the calendar event in Outlook first and click the save and close button in Outlook. I tried deleting the Outlook account on my iPhone and then adding the account back. Of course all of my emails, contacts and calendar events were gone when I reconnected. So I had to open each calendar event and each contact and click the save button before it would sync. When the iPhone was originally set up at the Apple store, the contacts, emails and calendar events just magically appeared. Now I have had my iPhone replaced, because of a battery issue, but it worked ok after that (I think - as you read on you will realize this is an inordinately complex tale).

I have tried using a wireless connection and not using a wireless connection. I have of course tried shutting down my iPhone and restarting it. Another thread in this forum suggested turning SSL off, which I did and once again, all of my contacts, e-mails and calendar events disappeared. I have emptied out all of the emails in my Outlook email box just in case there was too much "stuff" in there. I have deleted all of my reoccurring appointments in my calendar in case that was causing some sort of a glitch.

I have two other email accounts gmail and yahoo that work just fine on my iPhone.

I sync with iTunes on my home computer (a Mac) and I think I have that set up correctly. I may have originally synced with iTunes on a PC, but no longer is that true. The email portion in iTunes says I am set up to sync via active sync with Outlook Exchange. So at least iTunes thinks I am doing it right.

I do not have a jailbroken phone; I have version 3.3.1. We are currently using Outlook 2003 for Exchange Server and are in the process of moving to Outlook 2007. My phone worked for a few days last week and I assumed it was the upgrade to Outlook 2007, but the IT guys said they planned on upgrading, but are behind schedule. After a few days the email for Outlook stopped working again.

I only have 5 apps on my phone, one of which is Toodledo and it has access to my Outlook account to sync my tasks. I disable the account, just in case, but did not delete it. Again, no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong I would be appreciative.

Thanks so much,
    Kandy

2. PapaST

PapaST Member Bronze

Sorry to hear about your woes. I don't necessarily have a solution... but maybe I can help "think through" the process. If this is a true ActiveSync connection then the iPhone should work independently of Outlook (whether it's 2003 or 2007). But if you really mean that there was an upgrade to Exchange 2007 from 2003 then there might be some caveats to the switch. Usually just some small adjustments on the user's account. Sounds like you've gotten a good start at some troubleshooting.

The iPhone when setup correctly with Exchange will poll your account directly from the server (not from your Outlook client). So often times anything new will actually hit the iPhone first before it even shows up in Outlook. I would definitely check out your phone and how it is setup in iTunes. Off the top of my head I can't think of a setting that would cause this but you never know.

Even if you have RULES setup in Outlook to move mail around it still should show up on the iPhone.

If you have co-workers that aren't having an issue, why don't you try setting up your account on their phone or setting up their account on yours. That should give you a good indication of whether it's on the server side or on your phone.

Sorry I couldn't give you more concrete answers... but hopefully someone will chime in with more insight.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Kandy

Kandy New Member

Good idea about setting up switching up account settings on a coworker's iPhone. I will give that a try and let you know what happens. Thanks for thinking of another troubleshooting idea - I was out of ideas.

Thanks again,
    Kandy