iPhone Overheating

Sep 8, 2007
I got my iPhone yesterday and I absolutely love it. I went to charge it last night and thought I would see if it would charge on my iPod charger. It said it was charging so I was happily surprised and I thought I would leave it there. I then wanted to mess with it (after it had been charging for about 10-15 minutes) and when I touched it, it was EXTREMELY hot! I mean, scalding hot, untouchable hot. I was SO shocked! I immediately unplugged it and clicked the home button and the screen looked warped in the area of the camera (that is where it was hottest). It was whiter there. I rubbed ice on the back and did whatever I could to cool it down. Finally when it was cool, I turned it back on and it seems to be normal, but the screen is still a little discolored and warped near the middle/upper half and the speakers are messed up now. The speakers crack and pop whenever they play a sound. What do you suggest I do? This really scared/scares me. I need to get this fixed. I bought it from AT&T on my AMEX card and bought the Square Trade insurance including accidental. Please help.

mactigger

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I got my iPhone yesterday and I absolutely love it. I went to charge it last night and thought I would see if it would charge on my iPod charger. It said it was charging so I was happily surprised and I thought I would leave it there. I then wanted to mess with it (after it had been charging for about 10-15 minutes) and when I touched it, it was EXTREMELY hot! I mean, scalding hot, untouchable hot. I was SO shocked! I immediately unplugged it and clicked the home button and the screen looked warped in the area of the camera (that is where it was hottest). It was whiter there. I rubbed ice on the back and did whatever I could to cool it down. Finally when it was cool, I turned it back on and it seems to be normal, but the screen is still a little discolored and warped near the middle/upper half and the speakers are messed up now. The speakers crack and pop whenever they play a sound. What do you suggest I do? This really scared/scares me. I need to get this fixed. I bought it from AT&T on my AMEX card and bought the Square Trade insurance including accidental. Please help.
Yeah, I did the same thing. I woke up and the phone was so hot I could barely touch it. Then I looked at the front screen and it was CRACKED! A huge crack down the middle. I took it into an Apple store and they replaced it no questions asked. Now I take care of my phone so well, they could see that it had not been dropped and such.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I was having the same issue and I tried not to use the iPhone while it was being charged and it worked for me. However, just take it to the genius once.

medafor

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
This happened when i first got mine, i was extremely close to my wifi connection. turn off wifi and make sure you have updated to the latest firmware. I would also do a restore if you just got it. Hope this helps.