iPhone overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by silvermoon, Oct 4, 2013.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Does anyone notice that the phone can get hot to the touch? From what I can tell, it happens when the gps is going or it is plugged into the charger for awhile.

Sent using iCafe app

2. alicepattinson

Bronze

Mine gets soooooo got when I don't turn of 3G

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, that's normal.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

My iPhone got so hot while I was sitting in the sun listening to music that it stopped working until I went inside. It gave me that overheated message.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, direct sunlight will do that. That wasn't what he was referring to, though.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. Well, when my situation happened, I didn't know it could do that until it did.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've had happen several times in July since it gets so hot in my location. It's usually when I'm talking on the phone and in temps exceeding 110° Fahrenheit.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yeah. I'm from Florida, so we get heat a lot of the year. I'm used to it, but if it gets above 90 that's hard to be in. Anyways, I don't want to change the subject. But yeah, the iPhone in the heat isn't a good idea for a long period.

Sent using iCafe app

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

my 5s get's hotter then the 5

10. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Uncheck in <settings EGG COOK MODE.
    Seriously, mine runs pretty cool because I have it mounted near an AC vent when using it for NAV in my car.

Sent using iCafe app

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I knew in general that iPhones get pretty hot, but I didn't think they would get so hot to cause a burn. There has been a couple times where the phone is hot that I will wait for awhile to make a call. Are there any suggestions on cooling off the iPhone?

Sent using iCafe app

12. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Not an iPhone expert, but too hot to hold is likely defective and if not soon will be faulty. If you can bring it to Apple hot, than one recommend doing so.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it's getting so hot that it will cause a burn, it's probably defective and needs to be replaced.

14. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Just an update on the overheating problem, I noticed it really heated up in California. Since being back in Washington where the weather is cold, the phone is keeping really cool.

Sent using iCafe app

15. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Never had iPhone 4S ( either mine or my wife's) get warmer than 'luke-warm' ( like hour old tea ) even in the warm climate of Barbados in the Caribbean. This is either with use or charging. Hot enough to have one wish to put it down is not right at all, and considering that Lithium battery fires can be self sustaining ( a few documented horror stories ) I'd get it sorted out and SOON !

Sent using iCafe app

16. alicepattinson

Bronze

Yep. If the weather is hot so is your device. Even other things get hot as well :) Good news that it's okay now

17. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I wonder then if the 'glass' body of the iPhone 4 and 4s is conducting ( or insulating) heat in a more efficient way than the aluminium chassis of the later models ( 5/5S) of phone. Temperatures here are normally 26-31 ish ( 80's to low 90's) and yes, phones get slightly warm, but HOT rarely describes normal operation. I saw a post earlier, on a similar thread, by a retired fireman, who also had concerns. I guess the 'Spidey Sense' ( a subconscious instinct) developed during his working years, as well as mine ( as a retired airline pilot) triggers when 'hot' and 'electronics' are used in the same sentence. There has been lots of controversy in the airline safety arena re overheated lithium batteries in devices which may be in luggage, either checked or carry on, and exactly how it can be proactively dealt with. And 'iPhone fires' in airplane cabins, although rare, have happened often enough to 'raise the official eyebrow' in many parts of the world.
    About the 'even other things' :)........ I'll leave that for you younger people to worry about !