iPhone Partial Screen Deadness

svenskar

Dec 8, 2008
Right after upgrading to the 2.2 the top two rows of my icon bank are dead. Not only when the Icons are there--anytime. In other words the screen does not respond from the middle of the screen up.

I have the first version, by the way with 8g. If that terminology is wrong, I apologize. I'm not a tech wizard on this thing.

I call Apple and the closest store is three hours away and oh, we need $399 while we send a new phone to you. That even with the insurance plan! What kind of plan is that? If I get into a car accident, my insurance company doesn't require me to pay for a replacement car while the other one is getting fixed.

This close to Christmas, not a doable thing in this wonderful economy.

Any one had any luck with a fix? I have no clue how to load up an earlier version or unlocking or anything like that. I don't want to void the insurance repair.

Have done hard resets, factory setting reset, etc., etc. Nothing is working.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
When you say insurance repair, are you referring to Apple Care? Is your phone still under the manufacturer's 1-year warranty or are you under the extended Apple Care plan?

I haven't seen very many Apple Care claims regarding the iPhone as of yet so maybe that is an agreement you make when you sign on to extend Apple Care. Maybe instead of replacing the unit out they will fix it and to ensure they get their loaner iPhone returned they charge $399. I haven't once heard of such a thing though.

svenskar

Dec 8, 2008
When you say insurance repair, are you referring to Apple Care? Is your phone still under the manufacturer's 1-year warranty or are you under the extended Apple Care plan?

I haven't seen very many Apple Care claims regarding the iPhone as of yet so maybe that is an agreement you make when you sign on to extend Apple Care. Maybe instead of replacing the unit out they will fix it and to ensure they get their loaner iPhone returned they charge $399. I haven't once heard of such a thing though.
But they get an iPhone in return. I guess it is Apple Care since I've had the phone for well over a year.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Did you pay for additional Apple Care? If not then you're going to be well out of warranty and the iPhone is no longer covered, thus the $399 charge.

As I said, I haven't heard of them charging a fee as high as $399 for a "rental phone". The only fee I've heard of is $35 for a loaner phone as their iPhone is being repaired.