iPhone PAYG users SCREWED! We Can't Update To 3.0!

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
WHAT IS WRONG WITH AT&T? They sent me this text today saying

"AT&T Free MSG: A new software upgrade for iPhone will be available on 6/17. This upgrade may affect your data service. Please visit att.com/iPhone or call 800-901-9878 for a representative. If you download the software and are not on an approved iPhone data plan, your data service will be interrupted."

I have no data plan at all under my iPhone, in fact I actually asked AT&T to block any internet connection between my phone and the sim. My iPhone can never use 3G or edge, and I am thinking they might re activate data through my iPhone. I am not under that monthly pay as you go plan, I use the card reload PAYG. Am I affected too?:oops:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you have no data service, then it can't be interrupted, right?

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I don't know. I want to call AT&T and ask but I'm afraid they will activate it all over again. How do they even know I have an iPhone 3G? Does the sim card send info to AT&T on my phone? I am skeptical of even updating it to 3.0 because it might lock my phone.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I don't know. I want to call AT&T and ask but I'm afraid they will activate it all over again. How do they even know I have an iPhone 3G? Does the sim card send info to AT&T on my phone? I am skeptical of even updating it to 3.0 because it might lock my phone.
if you have no data plan now, you'll be fine. The issue is those who have a pay-as-you-go data plan.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Something tells me theres more going on here than meets the eye

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yes they can tell what phone you have. The same way a website can tell what OS and browser you are using...

If you're on the internet, you can't hide.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Ohhhh sounds scary LOL. I can't hide? LOL it sounds like a movie haha. But thank god I can update!