iPhone people help me please

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Medeiros2227

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
dunno
hey guys , I have never upgraded my phone since iday , I hacked into it with app tap I think , and now having problems , I understand that if I plug my phone into the iTunes and upgrade it will get bricked . Anyone wanna tell me how I can restore my I phone ? And also tell me the new things sconce the first upgrade . I still have the first version .

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
hey guys , I have never upgraded my phone since iday , I hacked into it with app tap I think , and now having problems , I understand that if I plug my phone into the iTunes and upgrade it will get bricked . Anyone wanna tell me how I can restore my I phone ? And also tell me the new things sconce the first upgrade . I still have the first version .
It will only brick if you have it unlocked. Have you modded or unlocked as well?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
That's not true. If you take a little time to do some searching, you'll find that UNLOCKING (not yelling, just caps for emphasis) could brick your phone, not MODDING by itself. But again - have you unlocked your phone, or simply modded? That's the first question that needs to be answered before you attempt anything.

Also - why are you wanting to restore? Are you having problems?

rgarjr

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
My phone is unlocked and jailbroken, currently at 1.1.1 using ATT carrier. Does it mean that if I take an upgrade on iTunes it will brick?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If your iPhone is unlocked at all, whether it is jailbroken or not, do not restore and do not update.

If your iPhone is only jailbroken then you can restore and update. Just plug in the iPhone, and press either 'Restore' or 'Update' in iTunes.

- John

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
If I remember correctly, I don't think there is an unlock for 1.1.2... I could be confusing this w/an OTB though...
There is an unlock for 1.1.2, just not an unlock for 1.1.2 OOTB. The reason you can do it on phones that you upgraded to 1.1.2 is because of the modem firmware. The OOTB 1.1.2 has a different modem firmware which hasn't been unlocked yet.

On a side note you will need to reviriginize your phone before upgrading.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
My phone is unlocked and jailbroken, currently at 1.1.1 using ATT carrier. Does it mean that if I take an upgrade on iTunes it will brick?
If you are using AT&T as your carrier then why is the phone unlocked? Unlocking the phone makes it work with carriers other than AT&T. Jailbreaking is the process to make the phone work with after market software.
The main difference is that an unlocked phone may/will become bricked if upgraded but a jailbroken phone will not.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
There is an unlock for 1.1.2, just not an unlock for 1.1.2 OOTB. The reason you can do it on phones that you upgraded to 1.1.2 is because of the modem firmware. The OOTB 1.1.2 has a different modem firmware which hasn't been unlocked yet.

On a side note you will need to reviriginize your phone before upgrading.
Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought, but I got sidetracked when I went to MMi to find the answer. :D

Medeiros2227

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
dunno
i just need to know if it will get brikked , all i have is app tapp and i wanted to have games on it but now i don't want it anymore .... so what can i do now guys ? can some just answer that ? lol its gettig a little off task now .

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
i just need to know if it will get brikked , all i have is app tapp and i wanted to have games on it but now i don't want it anymore .... so what can i do now guys ? can some just answer that ? lol its gettig a little off task now .

You said you have the orig iPhone from June, you can just go in iTunes and do a sync to save all your contacts, notes etc. and do a restore and it will bring your phone back to orig. Your data will be put back on the phone.

The only thing you have to do is go back into settings and set your wifi pass again, and the same for the email accounts, everything else will be there.

KGMJr32

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Mine was purchased by work for work, however, it doesn't seem like it is worth it to "hack" your iPhone. Can someone tell me otherwise and/or advantages?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
yes I do have a wifi router and how do I sync?

Well you do not sync with you router. You can join your router wifi network and use the wifi which is so much faster for everything than it is on edge.

You need to go to settings on your iPhone and turn on wifi, and turn on ask to join wifi. Then enter your ssid router name and passPhrase.

Actually, when you click to join, the iPhone will automatecally ask if yopu want to join, click and then you will be asked for your passPhrase.