iPhone played through car stereo?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
So, here's a possible problem, I was thinking about...

So according to Steve's demonstration of the iPhone, you can be listening to music on your iPhone and then when you receive a phone call, the music fades out and the screen shows the caller information if you'd like the take the call, etc.

But what if you're in the car, and playing music from you iPhone with a cassette tape adapter into the car stereo?

You're rocking out, and then music faaaaaaaaaaaaades out and there's a phone call. If you wanted to answer it, you'd have to unplug the 1/8-inch adapter to answer the phone... are there ways around this? Maybe answer it, while it's still plugged in, putting the call on speaker phone so you can talk and drive, using the speaker phone, while you hear the caller through the car speakers (but wouldn't this create a feedback loop if you hear your own voice through the speakers as well?)

Anyway, I'm just daydreaming about the iPhone :) Thanks!

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I think your best bet is to use a bluetooth headset. My guess is that when you answer a call via a headset the audio for the call is sent to the headset. When you answer a call via the answer button on the touch screen (even if a bluetooth headset is in range) the audio will go to the iPhone's speaker or to the wired headset if one is plugged in.

If it works as I expect, you can listen to your tunes through the tape adapter. When a call comes in you press the answer button on your BT headset. When the call ends you tunes start up again.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
I think your best bet is to use a bluetooth headset. My guess is that when you answer a call via a headset the audio for the call is sent to the headset. When you answer a call via the answer button on the touch screen (even if a bluetooth headset is in range) the audio will go to the iPhone's speaker or to the wired headset if one is plugged in.

If it works as I expect, you can listen to your tunes through the tape adapter. When a call comes in you press the answer button on your BT headset. When the call ends you tunes start up again.
yes, that makes sense... Now I'm just crossing my fingers the Bluetooth earpiece comes with the iPhone, or at least is super cheap! :) haha

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
I was kind of worried about this also. The way I have my setup in my car now is my iPod is hooked up through the aux. ports on my stereo so I just plug the plug into the headset adapter and it plays through. I was wondering if it would send all the audio through that also if a call comes in. I have a bluetooth headset but I am probably going to be buying the Apple one too as it is much sleeker than the one I have.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I was kind of worried about this also. The way I have my setup in my car now is my iPod is hooked up through the aux. ports on my stereo so I just plug the plug into the headset adapter and it plays through. I was wondering if it would send all the audio through that also if a call comes in. I have a bluetooth headset but I am probably going to be buying the Apple one too as it is much sleeker than the one I have.
I haven't seen an Apple bluetooth headset. Have you got a link to this?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
ColsTiger, the only place i have seen the Apple bluetooth headset was in the Keynote webcast.
Okay. I thought maybe they were advertising it somewhere. I'm sure they'll offer one eventually. It would be nice to use in one of the newer vehicles that comes with the bluetooth enabled audio system from the factory. I think BMW, Lexus, Acura, Toyota, and Honda all offer bluetooth capabilites in their premium audio systems.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Okay. I thought maybe they were advertising it somewhere. I'm sure they'll offer one eventually. It would be nice to use in one of the newer vehicles that comes with the bluetooth enabled audio system from the factory. I think BMW, Lexus, Acura, Toyota, and Honda all offer bluetooth capabilites in their premium audio systems.
Or you can get one of these

http://direct.motorola.com/ens/carkits/learn-HF850.html

May 6, 2007
United States
I love the look of the blue tooth device for the iPhone!

I hope that stays snug in your ear,,, looks a little tricky.
I agree it looks very nice, and I wouldn't worry about it staying in your ear. I don't think they would make it anything less than high quality, going along with a great phone.

I would be more worried about the cost, though. I highly doubt it will come with it, and if it is nice quality, I would think it'll cost at least $60, more likely $100.