iPhone prices on eBay are through the roof, why?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I don't get why year old iPhones are selling on eBay for like $200 more than they cost new. What is going on here? Don't these buyers know that the new iPhone will be new, better, and cheaper?

Someone explain.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Is it possible that these are selling in areas that don't have 3G? Like overseas?
I would think that would be the only reason why someone would buy the old and not wait for the new.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i think it's a combination of a number of things:
  • not everyone is like us and pays attention to the news and rumors, and they do not know that a new version is coming out soon. plus, if they've recently tried to buy one from an Apple store and/or AT&T and have been unable to, they perceive that there's a shortage and pay more to get one
  • of course, the iPhone is not yet sold in all countries, so the people who live where it's not available look for unlocked versions
  • even though we know unlocking iPhones is easy, not everyone does, and they're willing to pay a premium for iPhones that come unlocked so they can use them right away without trying to learn how to do it.
when i put my refurb 4gb up last week, i was willing to ship it out of the u.s. (to paypal confirmed addresses only). i did get a lot of international bidders, which i think drove the price up, but it ended up being someone in georgia who bought it. odd, but i'm not complaining...

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
  • not everyone is like us and pays attention to the news and rumors, and they do not know that a new version is coming out soon. plus, if they've recently tried to buy one from an Apple store and/or AT&T and have been unable to, they perceive that there's a shortage and pay more to get one
  • of course, the iPhone is not yet sold in all countries, so the people who live where it's not available look for unlocked versions
  • even though we know unlocking iPhones is easy, not everyone does, and they're willing to pay a premium for iPhones that come unlocked so they can use them right away without trying to learn how to do it.
when i put my refurb 4gb up last week, i was willing to ship it out of the u.s. (to paypal confirmed addresses only). i did get a lot of international bidders, which i think drove the price up, but it ended up being someone in georgia who bought it. odd, but i'm not complaining...
You hit it on the head. People that actively post on this board are less then 1% of the population of iPhone owners and many people even here never know what's going on. Simple economics at play really.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is right on. I would bet that the majority of these sales are overseas.
As for your first point, I was in the break room at work the other day and this guy that I don't really know had his iPhone out. I leaned over and ask him if he was getting the new one when it came out and he looked at me and ask "new what". True story. It made me wonder if he was still on 1.1.1. It is amazing the toys people have and no so little about.

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
I don't care what the reasons are...this has always baffled me from day one. I could understand the first month MAYBE...but are there that many somewhat, may I say ignorant to the core people on this. Man you watch those auctions are those things are flying out the doors and at ungodly prices...I am sure this has made a few cottage industries in just selling iPhones. Gosh if you sold one a day and just made 150-200 on each phone...not a bad part time job for trip to the post office and a couple minutes on a cradle.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would say, like macgirl stated, that most of the general public has no idea about the possibility of a new iPhone release in the next month. This causes them to want a product that they can no longer just go and get (at an Apple store) so they are willing to pay more for it. If I didn't have such a connection to my phone I might sell it. I'll be keeping mine as a spare iPhone however when I buy the new one.

rcclcruise

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Im not sure what to do at this point. The only way my wife will let me get the new phone is if it costs me nothing out of pocket. I see the 8gigs are going for good money on ebay, if willing to ship intl, which I am. I just don't want to be without my beloved phone for too long. I so don't know what to do, but if I wait to long the prices might come down on ebay!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I thought my phone would be worth little more than $200 by now so I promised my sister I would give it to her for her birthday. Now I see that I could actually sell my old outdated iPhone for MORE than a newer better one will cost, I am instantly regretting my promise, and she's way too excited to go back on it now...

I potentially just lost $700.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
iPhone shortage around the world....lol

supply and demand....demand is out-weighing the supply.....

I guess if I didn't have one I would want one...badly at this point....

I think mine will sell for $200, being that the screen is cracked....anyone interested....lol

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
Well, I would not sell mind. I always want to be able to say, "I still have the original from day 1'.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
I thought my phone would be worth little more than $200 by now so I promised my sister I would give it to her for her birthday. Now I see that I could actually sell my old outdated iPhone for MORE than a newer better one will cost, I am instantly regretting my promise, and she's way too excited to go back on it now...

I potentially just lost $700.

so what it's your sister not being greedy and you should have look at your resources.... ebay and then craigslist.

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Are any of you affraid of getting screwed if you sell internationally on eBay? I sold a phone to a guy in NY and got screwed even! I lost $500 on the deal and eBay and paypal did nothing! The guy said it never arrived.... funny thing is.. I had delivery confirmation and it did arrive... as well as about 6 other sellers (iPhones and a stereo) off eBay! But.... paypal gave him his money back since I did not get Signature Confirmation! And... to make it worse.. the police would do nothing at all.. even with 6 or 7 of us off eBay telling them how the guy scammed us! OUCH!

I wanna sell my phone that i have now, to buy the new one... but I am a bit gun shy about overseas sales for sure! In the US, just make sure any paypal deal you do is shipped with SIGNATURE Confirmation or they will screw you.

:)

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I think thats the reason, lack of information:)

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Are any of you affraid of getting screwed if you sell internationally on eBay? I sold a phone to a guy in NY and got screwed even! I lost $500 on the deal and eBay and paypal did nothing! The guy said it never arrived.... funny thing is.. I had delivery confirmation and it did arrive... as well as about 6 other sellers (iPhones and a stereo) off eBay! But.... paypal gave him his money back since I did not get Signature Confirmation! And... to make it worse.. the police would do nothing at all.. even with 6 or 7 of us off eBay telling them how the guy scammed us! OUCH!

I wanna sell my phone that i have now, to buy the new one... but I am a bit gun shy about overseas sales for sure! In the US, just make sure any paypal deal you do is shipped with SIGNATURE Confirmation or they will screw you.

:)
Wow, that sucks but I'm not really worried about being screwed on ebay. I've sold over 1000 items on ebay and have never been scammed but if I sold something for over $300 or 400 I would get all the protection I could get.

I'm such a homer, my phone isn't unlocked and I don't plan on doing it but if I were to sell my phone I would have to unlck it. Not even sure how to

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Wow, that sucks but I'm not really worried about being screwed on ebay. I've sold over 1000 items on ebay and have never been scammed but if I sold something for over $300 or 400 I would get all the protection I could get.

I'm such a homer, my phone isn't unlocked and I don't plan on doing it but if I were to sell my phone I would have to unlck it. Not even sure how to
Well, I have only sold about 300 items.... and i got screwed on the iPhone sale. I'm nervous about putting my second one on there now! But.... probably will! ha ha