iPhone Pricing Plan Discussion

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
do you text constantly? i don't get it. i barely sms 20 times. how can anyone need unlimited? thats crazy talk...er...i mean craZy text! lol :p
I pay for 100 SMS and I usually go over just a few. Texting is very popular today with younger people. While 200 should be plenty for me, I can understand them wanting an unlimited plan.

rose

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I love this. This is great. With the activation video, it seems much more easier than I anticipated doing it at home. It just sucks for those who don't know where their credit is, to to the credit check only to get denied.. and then you're sitting around with an iPhone.. with no service. yikes! Now I don't know if I should go to the AT&T or the Apple. Sigh. Decisions.. Decisions..

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I love this. This is great. With the activation video, it seems much more easier than I anticipated doing it at home. It just sucks for those who don't know where their credit is, to to the credit check only to get denied.. and then you're sitting around with an iPhone.. with no service. yikes! Now I don't know if I should go to the AT&T or the Apple. Sigh. Decisions.. Decisions..
I would imagine you could do it in store before you buy the iPhone. But also remember that you can return it up to 14 days if you can't get credit. And even if you don't get a great credit score, you might be able to put up a deposit to activate the new line.

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Just go to an ATT store and ask for a credit check. I went there a few weeks ago and did it. All they did was take my drivers license and my social security number. In like 3 min they said my credit was good and I wouldn't need to pay a deposit.

Yeah I'm also wondering if I should go to the ATT store or the Apple store. I'm thinking Apple will have more phones but the lines might be even longer. There are only 2 Apple stores in my area.. but theres a bunch of ATT stores.

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
well the only better news i could have been woken up 2 is an iPhone in my hand. this is so great! 200 texts is fine, thats what i have now i almost never used them all

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Thats exactly what I expected. Good job Apple. I don't know if I will go with 450 or 900 minutes.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Hey guys just a heads up. If you are already an AT&T customer with a text package REMOVE IT! It will stay on your bill along with the iPhone Plan.
Nothing serious and nothing a 2 minute phone call can't fix. Remember though only those who the account holder deems may make changes to the plan.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Does this mean you can't add the iPhone to a family plan?:mad:
Existing AT&T Customers

If you’re already an AT&T customer and want to keep your current voice plan, you can just add an iPhone Data Plan with unlimited data (email and web) and Visual Voicemail for just $20 per month.

far as I know you can :D plus look at the tab to the right of the individual plans, they list family plans as well

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Of course you can. It will just cost 20 a month on top of any existing plan you have. For instance I have a 9.99 line. My monthly charge would be 29.99. 20 *data and text+ADD A LINE charge.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
There is a old bad joke that goes...

A boy gets his parents in a room to tell them something important. "Mom, Dad, I have some bad news. I have cancer and I only have three months to live". After the horror washes fully over the parents the boys says, "just kidding... I'm gay".

Apple & At&t let bloggers and such spread mis-information regarding plan pricing and then come in with the real pricing (which honestly is a lot of money to use a cell phone - not by industry standards of course but by common sense standards) and we are all thrilled out of our minds and not paying attention to the fees + taxes we'll be paying. It's a standard marketing technique. You'd be thrilled if I cut your leg off if I told you for the past 3 months that I was going to do something worse.

That said, I'm so f'ing excited!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
<Threads merged. Cleaned up. Stickied. Added to related stories under iPhone Rate Plans Announced story. >

Last edited:

kghoops

Jun 19, 2007
Hey guys just a heads up. If you are already an AT&T customer with a text package REMOVE IT! It will stay on your bill along with the iPhone Plan.
Nothing serious and nothing a 2 minute phone call can't fix. Remember though only those who the account holder deems may make changes to the plan.
What if I have the MEdia Basic Bundle? I know that is not available for the iPhone so I would think it would automatically cancel when I switch.

Does this mean there will be no fee for people not eligible for an upgrade. I imagine myself opening my bill with a $175 charge on it. :mad:

eureka

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
For those of you wanting to see total calculations here it is for the 8gb phone (mind you it's 7.74gb after all the allotted software space)

$599.99 iPhone
$36.00 activation fee (NEW USERS ONLY)
$1440.00 2 year min contract
Tax at local retailer
GRAND TOTAL OF ROUGHLY 2075.99

That's with out all the beautiful optional add on's such as a case or n e new type of accessory Apple will release

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Actually you can remove them online if that's more convenient.