iPhone Pricing Plan Discussion

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
what happens if I go into an att store today, become a customer (I am currently Verizon), get the best "free" phone they have (with a 2yr contract), and then go and get the iPhone on Friday?

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Did anyone else catch the $36 activation fee on the pricing video. I have never had to pay that before!
If you are a current ATT customer I would just call customer support and ***** at them and make them wave it. Thats what I will be doing.

eureka

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
what happens if I go into an att store today, become a customer (I am currently Verizon), get the best "free" phone they have (with a 2yr contract), and then go and get the iPhone on Friday?
you would still end up at the same price because you have to pay the activation fee as well as the 20 for the data plan

att was smart enough not to let n e loopholes through

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
you would still end up at the same price because you have to pay the activation fee as well as the 20 for the data plan
but I would end up with a phone that is really, truly free right?

ProductProFresno

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Thats exactly what I expected. Good job Apple. I don't know if I will go with 450 or 900 minutes.
It isn't Apple. People have been saying over andover again, Apple is the hardware, ATT is the service. I was so tired of everyone badmouthing att, saying we were going to gouge you, if the iPhone fails, it's att fault, no one knows what they are doing(newsflash, att reps didn't know anything because of Apple, not att.)
In this forum, Apple has received all the credit, and att all the flack. Now it comes out that its fine, please give credit where credit is due, my friends. I don't mean to single out iPhonenotify, its a sympton of the disease, so to speak. People just couldnt wrapp their minds around two strong companies coming together and making something great, but from all aco****s we have now, thats exactly what will happen, and I am excited.

eureka

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
but I would end up with a phone that is really, truly free right?
good point however that contract might solely include a 30 day money back, so hopefully they won't make u cancel your account and have you return the phone

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
DATA QUESTION? Sheep in Wolves Clothing

ok.. so the data plan is that EDGE only or will that cover 3G. Just wondering.. my current plan with unlimited PDA connect has HSDPA. Is the iPhone data plan just EDGE or will it allow 3G as well?

I really don't see why I would need to amend my current plan with 1500 SMS, unlimited data and 2100 min to the "iPhone" plan.

What happens if I want to go back (gasp) to my WM5 device for some reason?

Anyway there seems to be no mention of the data, 2.5G or 3G...

any ideas?

blackoutcrl

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
DC
www.blackoutgraphics.com
It isn't Apple. People have been saying over andover again, Apple is the hardware, ATT is the service. I was so tired of everyone badmouthing att, saying we were going to gouge you, if the iPhone fails, it's att fault, no one knows what they are doing(newsflash, att reps didn't know anything because of Apple, not att.)
In this forum, Apple has received all the credit, and att all the flack. Now it comes out that its fine, please give credit where credit is due, my friends. I don't mean to single out iPhonenotify, its a sympton of the disease, so to speak. People just couldnt wrapp their minds around two strong companies coming together and making something great, but from all aco****s we have now, thats exactly what will happen, and I am excited.
I hear that... I was happy to see the fair prices involved with the plan. This does prove two great companies can work together to make many happy users... i am a sprint user and i am more than happy to jump that boat...

ProductProFresno

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
I hear that... I was happy to see the fair prices involved with the plan. This does prove two great companies can work together to make many happy users... i am a sprint user and i am more than happy to jump that boat...
Exactly! These prices are VERY resonable indeed. my ASM was surprised with the details!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Sorry if this was asked, I see that you can "Replace a phone on my account with this iPhone" What if that phone I want to replace has 6 months left of the current contract?
It doesn't matter. There's no penalty. Now instead of six months left you'll have 30 months left on the iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
lol okay so i tried to read this but im still a lil confused, Im new to att and want the iPhone plan as well as another phone for my brother (not iPhone) what kinda family plan am i looking at
aka cheapest thing out there
For you to get the cheapest family plan, you'll get 700 shared anytime minutes for $89.95.

$80 for your iPhone account and 9.95 for your brother's non-iphone account.

If your phone wasn't an iPHone, then the plan would be $20 cheaper. There is a familytalk plan for $59.95 for two lines but it's not for iPhone use and it's only 450 minutes of shared anytime minutes.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
It doesn't matter. There's no penalty. Now instead of six months left you'll have 30 months left on the iPhone.
I think it's a complete wash of the old contract and a restart of the two years from the date you activate your iPhone. This is what I understood from the information presented today but I'm not 100% sure if my interpretation is correct.

kghoops

Jun 19, 2007
I think it's a complete wash of the old contract and a restart of the two years from the date you activate your iPhone. This is what I understood from the information presented today but I'm not 100% sure if my interpretation is correct.
I guess I will have to go to an AT&T store instead of an Apple store so I can make sure I won't have to pay a term fee on my existing contract. I'm hoping they have a definitive answer for us on this before Friday!

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
Cingular store vs. online

So I went into a store after work and basically got a run around on becoming a AT&T customer. Apart from anything having to do with the iPhone, I asked the guy that if I sign a 2 year contract family plan can I get any deals (free phones, buy1 get 1 free etc.) and he said no. The best they could do is give me a rebate on a phone - substantially decreasing the price I would pay. On the website however, it looks like I could sign up and get a free phone with a mail in rebate for the whole value of the phone. Anyone know if this is true? I'll have my family sign up and get their phones...and then I'll get an iPhone and jump on their plan. Thanks.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I guess I will have to go to an AT&T store instead of an Apple store so I can make sure I won't have to pay a term fee on my existing contract. I'm hoping they have a definitive answer for us on this before Friday!
I am thinking, hoping, there is no ETF.

KPSK

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
So for me as an existing customer i am getting more bang for the buck. I am currently on a family talk plan which is 89.99 for 1400 mins. and a new customer is 100.00 for 1400 mins. So looks like i only have to spend like 9.00 more to have phone

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Here is the part I like the most!

"
Existing AT&T Customers

If you’re already an AT&T customer and want to keep your current voice plan, you can just add an iPhone Data Plan with unlimited data (email and web) and Visual Voicemail for just $20 per month."

Rock on!
Okay, just wanted to tell you that I LOVE YOU! Okay, that was my big question, my Dad is renewing our contract, which is a FAMILY PLAN so I wanted to know if I had to pay $60 on top of that, but you answered my question! Thank you soo much!

applet&t

Jun 26, 2007
Just a theory

I think that the iPhone is a very innovative product that will help AT&T achieve a group mindset and maybe someday we will crown Applet&t as king and we will join forces to fight Walmart, Bestbuy, and Radioshack in a battle of epic proportions and bring them to there knees. Then Jesus will come back and bring us and Applet&t all home to the ipod in the sky. But that just my theory!:p