iPhone problems (I'm guessing you haven't seen this before)

Swek

Apr 17, 2008
Hi
Well basically my iPhone is messed up... i mean like a lot of problems that no one has been able to help me with.
i have jailbroken it, so i can't get a new one with my warranty... Should i just run like a million watts of electricity through it before i take it in or would they notice that?
I think that thats my best chance, and all i say is that it won't turn on.

any feedback is helpful

Last edited by a moderator:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If it won't turn on you can't restore through iTunes so it looks like you are out of luck.
I would take to an Apple store and see what happens. If they can't turn it on then there is no way of knowing it is jailbroken.

Swek

Apr 17, 2008
If it won't turn on you can't restore through iTunes so it looks like you are out of luck.
I would take to an Apple store and see what happens. If they can't turn it on then there is no way of knowing it is jailbroken.
yeah but the thing is, it will turn on... actually one of the problems is that it won't turn off. not even when i do a hard reset.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It doesn't sound like this will do any good, but have you tried a restore? If you could restore then you can take it to Apple and try to get another one. A restore will put the phone back to factory settings.

Swek

Apr 17, 2008
It doesn't sound like this will do any good, but have you tried a restore? If you could restore then you can take it to Apple and try to get another one. A restore will put the phone back to factory settings.
hehe another one of my problems is that my computer does not detect it through usb or firewire. it won't even charge unless i use firewire

i think i have some dock/speaker problems. It thinks its plugged into the computer even when its not. which is why it doesn't detect it and can't turn off.

S

Starry

hehe another one of my problems is that my computer does not detect it through usb or firewire. it won't even charge unless i use firewire

i think i have some dock/speaker problems. It thinks its plugged into the computer even when its not. which is why it doesn't detect it and can't turn off.

I'd send TheManofTheDark a message and see if he knows. Or Tinman maybe... if he's still around... John the Moderator is freakin awesome with phones as is Chris the Owner... Id' send messages and check :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Has this problem just started? You might want to post this in the modifications forum. It might be caused by an app you recently added. Those guy over there know their stuff and may be able to help you.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'd send TheManofTheDark a message and see if he knows. Or Tinman maybe... if he's still around... John the Moderator is freakin awesome with phones as is Chris the Owner... Id' send messages and check :)
Beat me to it. Nice to see you back.:)

S

Starry

Beat me to it. Nice to see you back.:)
Thanks hun.. good to be back.. hopefully I can spend more time here now that I'm 80% unpacked LOL :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not quite sure what I understand the whole picture. Is the phone completely unresponsive? Or can you just not get it to connect with the computer? If the latter, we can most likely get it back to normal. Give me as many details as possible.

- John

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Maybe DFU mode would help connect it?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There's a thought. Try getting into DFU mode. To do this, hold down the power and home buttons for ten seconds, and then let go of the home button, continuing to hold the other. If that doesn't work, try some combination of the two buttons with different amounts of time.

Once (if) you get it into DFU, try getting iTunes to recognize it again, You should be prompted to Restore it.

Also try a different USB port, and make sure it's USB 2.0.

- John

Swek

Apr 17, 2008
I'm not quite sure what I understand the whole picture. Is the phone completely unresponsive? Or can you just not get it to connect with the computer? If the latter, we can most likely get it back to normal. Give me as many details as possible.

- John
basically these are the biggest problems:

1. My mac does not recognize it (i have tried 4 computers, 2 windows, 2 mac)
2. It does not charge with usb, just with firewire
3. if i am talking on the phone with someone they don't hear anything unless i yell.
4. the speakers are crap
5. sometimes when i use it it says "no service" where is should say "N Telenor" (my mobile network)
6. If i turn it off it turns on again automatically.

I'm pretty sure that the software is fine...
i have tried putting it into DFU mode and everything. I have spent a month researching the problems. A lot of people have gotten these individual problems but not all of them at once. If i try fixing it the way they did some other problem interferes.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
How are you using FireWire connections to charge?

So you're saying that you cant hold the home and power button for ten seconds and have the phone enter restore mode? What all have you done to your phone, mod-wise?

Swek

Apr 17, 2008
How are you using FireWire connections to charge?

So you're saying that you cant hold the home and power button for ten seconds and have the phone enter restore mode? What all have you done to your phone, mod-wise?
I'm saying that if i do that, my computer does not recognize it anyways.

The only thing i've done with my iPhone that you're not supposed to do is that i dropped it on the floor (once):eek: whoops

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I'm saying that if i do that, my computer does not recognize it anyways.

The only thing i've done with my iPhone that you're not supposed to do is that i dropped it on the floor (once):eek: whoops
But that doesn't make any sense. If you can get your phone into restore mode, the only way to get out is via hacks or iTunes....

Again - how are you using firewire to charge? You should be using usb via computer or ac.

Also - if you've done nothing to your phone, why not return it or send it to Apple?

Swek

Apr 17, 2008
But that doesn't make any sense. If you can get your phone into restore mode, the only way to get out is via hacks or iTunes....

Again - how are you using firewire to charge? You should be using usb via computer or ac.

Also - if you've done nothing to your phone, why not return it or send it to Apple?
i didn't really understand the first part...

1.I have an old firewire ipod cable i use that to charge it because usb does not do anything.

2.Because i unlocked it and jailbroke it. I don't really want to spend 250 dollars to repair a phone. i would rather get a new one.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i didn't really understand the first part...

1.I have an old firewire ipod cable i use that to charge it because usb does not do anything.

2.Because i unlocked it and jailbroke it. I don't really want to spend 250 dollars to repair a phone. i would rather get a new one.
Well, you said before that the only thing you've done is drop it.

Anyway, hold the home button and the power button until it tells you to connect to iTunes. Then plug it in to your computer.

Are you running windows or os x?

Also, make sure iTuneshelper is running. If not, restart your computer, or reinstall iTunes.

Swek

Apr 17, 2008
Well, you said before that the only thing you've done is drop it.

Anyway, hold the home button and the power button until it tells you to connect to iTunes. Then plug it in to your computer.

Are you running windows or os x?

Also, make sure iTuneshelper is running. If not, restart your computer, or reinstall iTunes.
yeah, i've tried that like a million times...

mac osx