iPhone randomly going from black screen to main, but is unresponsive

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Teejo

Oct 24, 2007
Okay all,

totally freaked here. Been running on 1.1.1 with 0 issues for a week. Tonight I see that installer is prompting me to upgrade... No prob. Everything is working fine. I go to install a theme... no prob everything is great.. Install another theme and I get a mail socket error so I try another download, same error. OK... I'll reset the phone, sometimes it gets goofy. Well...... Thats where the hell begins. No slider phone goes black, comes back up w/ default theme and is totally unresponsive. As we speak it is randomly going from black screen to main but is unresponsive. Hold down home and sleep... Nothing. Plug in USB, nothing. What the heck happened. My phone is now useless. Whatever error occurred has it going nuts. Any ideas would be great. I need my phone:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Terry

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Okay all,

totally freaked here. Been running on 1.1.1 with 0 issues for a week. Tonight I see that installer is prompting me to upgrade... No prob. Everything is working fine. I go to install a theme... no prob everything is great.. Install another theme and I get a mail socket error so I try another download, same error. OK... I'll reset the phone, sometimes it gets goofy. Well...... Thats where the hell begins. No slider phone goes black, comes back up w/ default theme and is totally unresponsive. As we speak it is randomly going from black screen to main but is unresponsive. Hold down home and sleep... Nothing. Plug in USB, nothing. What the heck happened. My phone is now useless. Whatever error occurred has it going nuts. Any ideas would be great. I need my phone:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Terry
Sorry to hear what you are going though dude......if all else fails...restore ..restore....start over again...it happens to the best of us.

Teejo

Oct 24, 2007
Sorry to hear what you are going though dude......if all else fails...restore ..restore....start over again...it happens to the best of us.
Hey at this point I would be happy to restore. iTunes won't recognize the phone when I plug it in. If I hold sleep and home, I get the Apple screen, then the main but it is unresponsive. Starting to get way concernerned. If I leave it alone it will randomly show a screen like it is opening an app. sit for 20 seconds then revert back to the main. it is stuck inthis weird loop and I don't know how to get it out

Teejo

Oct 24, 2007
Any ideas on this guys. Im out of ideas. Seems odd that just trying to download through installer would brick the phone. its not like i tried to run an app and it crashed. phone is definitely wiggin. keeps switching from one screen to another. hmmmm... total bummer though

Terry

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I had a similar issue a few days back and it was a MAJOR headache. My phone would only show the Apple logo and was unresponsive to anything else. The thing I did was hold the home and off buttons at the same time until you get the Apple logo to appear (this part was tricky for me, seeing as that's all that appeared) and when you see it let go of the power button and still hold on to the home button. After about 5 seconds it should display a cable and the iTunes logo and this should put it into restore mode. Plug it in and you should be able to restore. I messed with this for about 3 hours before I finally got it to work so hopefully it works for you too.

Teejo

Oct 24, 2007
I had a similar issue a few days back and it was a MAJOR headache. My phone would only show the Apple logo and was unresponsive to anything else. The thing I did was hold the home and off buttons at the same time until you get the Apple logo to appear (this part was tricky for me, seeing as that's all that appeared) and when you see it let go of the power button and still hold on to the home button. After about 5 seconds it should display a cable and the iTunes logo and this should put it into restore mode. Plug it in and you should be able to restore. I messed with this for about 3 hours before I finally got it to work so hopefully it works for you too.
Thanks,

I tried but can't get it to work. it just stays on the Apple screen and eventually takes me back to an unresponsive home screen. I will keep trying

T

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
Thanks,

I tried but can't get it to work. it just stays on the Apple screen and eventually takes me back to an unresponsive home screen. I will keep trying

T
Remember to plug in your usb and have iTunes turn on while you are trying to restore the phone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, assuming nothing else works for you, i would first just let the battery drain, and see if it will charge then, and if so, be any different than before.

if all else fails, at this point you can at least take it to the Apple store and show them that your phone is dead. If it is unresponsive, they will be unable to tell it has been modified at all. I realize this is risky, but if nothing else works, it's worth a shot, i guess.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
well, assuming nothing else works for you, i would first just let the battery drain, and see if it will charge then, and if so, be any different than before.

if all else fails, at this point you can at least take it to the Apple store and show them that your phone is dead. If it is unresponsive, they will be unable to tell it has been modified at all. I realize this is risky, but if nothing else works, it's worth a shot, i guess.
And herein lies the fear. We don't know this 100%. Unresponsive iPhone at home- Revived from the Dead iPhone at Apple store.

This right here is the main reason people aren't running into the Apple store- for fear that their "mod" will be discovered.

If by 10:00 a.m (Apple Time) you cant get it to work, take it into the store. Cause as you said
I need my phone:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Either way Teejo, let us know how you make out. Good luck to you!

iPat

Sep 14, 2007
I ran into this issue last night with one of the phones I "manage" for a buddy at work. His phone would go to the homescreen, lock up, then go back to the Apple screen and do it all over again. I played with it for about 15 minutes trying to get a response from iTunes, or the USB plug in general - nothing. This worked for me though:

1.Plug iPhone into your USB cable, and the cable into your computer
2.Load iTunes
3.iTunes will not recaognize the iPhone
4.Press and hold the Lock and Home buttons on the iPhone HOLD THESE FOR TWO(2) POWER CYCLES - Apple logo goes by twice, keep holding
5.Watch carefuly in iTunes, iPhone should display the USB connector image, and iTunes should pick up an "iPhone in recovery mode - phone must be restored" message should appear.
6.Restore to factory defaults and start over.

Worked for me as of 10-29-07 @ 8:30PM CDT

Teejo

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks to all for your advice. After many, many attempts at holding the sleep and home buttons down I guess I finally hit the magic timing and the phone gave me the restore graphic. Restored, jailbroke, (again) and am thanfully typing this reply on my phone. Little scary for awhile thank you all again for keeping me trying.

T-