iPhone rattle

xxsirvtecxx

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
So I just got a "new 3g" from the Apple store since my last one had light leakage problems...well i wanted to know when you turn on and off the vibrate on your phone...does the back of it sound like a rattle? Well my first 3g was very quiet even if it was on vibrate...and this one sounds like its hollow or something...im just getting really tired of setting up appts with Apple....so anyone else have this issue or not?

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
So I just got a "new 3g" from the Apple store since my last one had light leakage problems...well i wanted to know when you turn on and off the vibrate on your phone...does the back of it sound like a rattle? Well my first 3g was very quiet even if it was on vibrate...and this one sounds like its hollow or something...im just getting really tired of setting up appts with Apple....so anyone else have this issue or not?
Sadly, I can say that was a defect on my first 3G. I am on my second...no issues with this one.

That was one of my 2 issues with my frist 3G. The other was that the plastic backing was not centered (had a lip on the left side of the phone). I assumed that was part of the issue with the rattling.

I woud say you need to request another replacement. It is unfortunate, yet it is also unacceptable.

Like many others, I am disappointed with this product at launch. Granted, mine appears to be working great, but I really do feel for others who keep having one problem after another plague them.

Keep us posted.

xxsirvtecxx

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Alright, as long as im not the only one lol, well i have an appt with a Genius tomorrow, so i will be requesting a completely new one once again and make sure i check everything over before leaving the store lol...i'll keep you updated.

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
My iPhone has been tossed around and dropped a lot by my 2 yr old. Now I can feel something loose inside which is rattling around.. Gives a funny rattly sound when the phone vibrates. I think its the vibration motor that might have got loose inside. Any ideas on what to do? Can the phone be opened up to check? I'm on an unlocked 2G so cant take it to the Apple store here.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
My iPhone has been tossed around and dropped a lot by my 2 yr old. Now I can feel something loose inside which is rattling around.. Gives a funny rattly sound when the phone vibrates. I think its the vibration motor that might have got loose inside. Any ideas on what to do? Can the phone be opened up to check? I'm on an unlocked 2G so cant take it to the Apple store here.
If you can re-lock it and restore to stock, take it to an Apple Store. I had the same problem with my original iPhone and they replaced it on the spot, no charge. Nothing else you can do unless you want to risk taking it apart and trying to fix it yourself or send it to someone (and pay).

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Don't get me wrong..."My iPhone has been tossed around and dropped a lot by my 2 yr old"...- do you allow you're 2 years old child to play around with you're iPhone?...:)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, your vibrator motor broke. Mine did that on my last exchange. Opening the iPhone is not adviasable, even if you're familiar with opening gadgets.