iPhone rattles near the camera

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
I just got my iPhone 3G S replaced today due to WiFi issues. The new phone rattles slightly near the camera when I shake it and I can feel the camera hardware slightly sticking out. The camera works fine. I know my previous phone did not do that.

Should I go back to the store or do as the Apple Care guy said, "Wait and see if it gets worse."

Thanks!

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Yes you should

I am actually ringing about another Replacement tomorrow

I have already had a Replacement from my Original one which rattled near the camera and this replacement has started doing it ( It was fine when I first got it )

So go to the store and see what they say but when I rang Apple about it when I replaced it the first time the woman on the phone told me that it is a "Manufacturing Defect" and I should get it replaced.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Pop into an Apple store and ask them nicely to replace your phone. Your phone should not rattle at all. The only thing that moves inside the phone is the vibrator.

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
Okay, thanks guys!

I'll go to the Apple Store tomorrow!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Let us know how you get on. They should be fine with you, they usually are.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Good to hear.... try and get a free case off them. Say how upset you were with your device. When people cry, other people feel bad.... ;)

j/k

Teazer

Aug 19, 2009
i just returned my phone today and had it replaced because of 3G issue. my previous phone was rattling when i slightly tap near where the camera is. i noticed this when i set my phone down on the table gently. the replacement still does it tho. it might be the compass that is on the new 3gs? I know the 3g doesn't make the noise but it doesn't have a built in compass...

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
Okay, so I get to the Apple Store today and my phone suddenly stops rattling! Anyway, I show it at the Genius Bar and tell her about the rattling and the camera hardware coming out of the frame. So she compares it to her phone and notices a difference. She asks me if I really want a replacement for such a small issue and I said that I'd prefer it. So she calls the storage room and sarcastically asks for the "Shiniest box", but I don't care, I got a shiny new iPhone!

They're really good with exchanges if something is wrong. I remember my days with Nokia in India, they were a nightmare!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
i just returned my phone today and had it replaced because of 3G issue. my previous phone was rattling when i slightly tap near where the camera is. i noticed this when i set my phone down on the table gently. the replacement still does it tho. it might be the compass that is on the new 3gs? I know the 3g doesn't make the noise but it doesn't have a built in compass...
It's the auto-focus camera lens...

Teazer

Aug 19, 2009
do you hear the rattle on the replacement? i don't hear it when i just shake the phone. i only notice when i put the phone down on the table and its barely audible.

the last phone i returned and the phone i have now still has that noise but i think it's normal.

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
I do still hear it on the new one but it just might be the compass. I don't hear anything when I set it down on a table.

Teazer

Aug 19, 2009
Saverino on the previous post said it's the auto focus lens. I just thot maybe it could be the compass since the 3g doesn't have one.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Saverino on the previous post said it's the auto focus lens. I just thot maybe it could be the compass since the 3g doesn't have one.
Are we talking about the 3G or 3GS?
The 3GS has an auto-focus camera and a compass. I highly doubt it could be the compass. It's not the traditional compass with the needle (or whatever it's called) that can actually be shaken around.

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
Are we talking about the 3G or 3GS?
The 3GS has an auto-focus camera and a compass. I highly doubt it could be the compass. It's not the traditional compass with the needle (or whatever it's called) that can actually be shaken around.

I agree, it cannot be the compass. But it's weird that I can hear the rattling sometimes and sometimes it absolutely fine.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I agree, it cannot be the compass. But it's weird that I can hear the rattling sometimes and sometimes it absolutely fine.

i am pretty sure it is the auto focus lens. I have tested this myself. Open the camera app and while focusing on a different section of the photo , tap the back of your phone. The rattle will disappear for the duration of the focusing. However focusing happens so quickly that its sometimes hard catch it at the point where it doesn't rattle for that split second

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
do you hear the rattle on the replacement? i don't hear it when i just shake the phone. i only notice when i put the phone down on the table and its barely audible.

the last phone i returned and the phone i have now still has that noise but i think it's normal.

I notice this too. I read through this thread twice but I can't determine if this is actually "normal" or not?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Its not the compass, the compass in the 3GS is a digital compass....not a needle in a box. Like many have said, its the auto-focus on the 3GS. Shouldn't have rattles on previous models

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
Right I got that, but is it something that Apple will/should fix?