iPhone reads html differently than other browsers

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
My web page does not display properly on the iPhone. This is NOT a Flash issue, just simple html that has been working properly for years on other browsers. Some of my sub-pages work, some do not. In comparing the html for a working and non-working page, the only difference I can spot is different case for elements. Is there any reason that html case-sensitivity might be different for the iPhone?

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
its the flash and java support that doesn't allow us to watch videos ... YET
videos run by quicktime is okay for us to watch through safari if thats what your talking about

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
:) Let me repeat, this is NOT a Flash issue. :laugh2:

Maybe Safari on the iPhone prefers the stricter xhtml rules which are case sensitive in that the html tags have to be in lower case. Just because they work in the other browsers doesn't mean it's right.

According to Apple's iPhone dev web site it supports the following;

• HTML 4.01
  • XHTML 1.0
  • CSS 2.1 and partial CSS3
  • ECMAScript 3 (JavaScript)
  • W3C DOM Level 2
  • AJAX technologies, including XMLHTTPRequest
Are you at least declaring the html version in your headers? That can make a difference with the more picky browsers. (almost everything except IE for the most part). This is my guess. I'll check into it more. In the past few years I have all but transitioned to xhtml (at least in transitional mode) so I haven't noticed any problems so far with the sites I develop.

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Why don't you send us a link?:sick:
Two reasons: 1. I didn't want to appear to market in a forum, and 2. it is really sloppy html code. But I'm thinking it is the case-sensitivity issue which I can test when I get back to my office. But the site is www.ronlloyd.com. The home page does not show the first image map. In my defense, this html was written by a former employee about six years ago. In the former employee's defense, he still knew more about html than I do :) .

Two reasons: 1. I didn't want to appear to market in a forum, and 2. it is really sloppy html code. But I'm thinking it is the case-sensitivity issue which I can test when I get back to my office. But the site is www.ronlloyd.com. The home page does not show the first image map. In my defense, this html was written by a former employee about six years ago. In the former employee's defense, he still knew more about html than I do :) .
Ok, by looking at the source code I can see one glaring problem...

Microsoft Frontpage! :eek:

Surprisingly however the code is pretty clean and fomatted but it's was done with an older version of Frontpage before MS starting including all kind of "junk code". I'm guess and I stress "guessing" since it some old code it might have something to do with the image map code.

Which "sub-page" in particular is giving you problems.

Jul 24, 2007
your doctype is messed up. that could be the reason its not showing up.

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
your doctype is messed up. that could be the reason its not showing up.
Could you expand on that a bit please? I am not fluent in html, I'm just hoping to correct this old code that was written by someone else. Thanks.

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I found the problem. Some of the pages are missing the line,

</MAP><ahref="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/nameofmap.htm/map">

The absence of this line seems to make no difference in any other browser including Safari, but it does matter in the iPhone browser.

Thanks to all.