iPhone reception / signal strength

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
I wondered how good the signal strength is when you all go into buildings? I bought an iPhone over the weekend, but ended up taking it back because the signal strength was so low.

According to AT&T, I'm in one of the higher areas as far as signal strength goes, but when I am in my apartment (sitting about 10' from the patio) I get "no signal" or one bar. Outside my apartment I got 3 bars, which was decent, and then at various parts around town I get 2-5 bars, so the signal strength is good when on the road. I have 4 bars in Meijers parking lot, but when I enter the store and get to the middle, it takes me down to "no service" again.

I'm wondering if this is common for iPhones? Is it just AT&T's signal strength? I was thinking it might be possible that I had a janky iPhone, but without paying the restocking fee, I was not allowed to exchange it for a new one to try another.

I keep thinking to myself that I should give it another try and pick another one up (I'm only down 40$ due to the first restocking fee). I'm just curious if it was the phone, or if it was really poor signal strength / phone.

muckymucky

Bronze
Aug 19, 2007
aye Bay~Bay~
if you carefuly examine the way you hold your iPhone, the black part on the back is the antenna, there have been reports of your signal JUMPING 120%+ if u take your hands off the back part. i myself have experienced huge improvements when i just leave the phone on a table when a page is loading and such. try not covering the black area with your hands is a great tip.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I wondered how good the signal strength is when you all go into buildings? I bought an iPhone over the weekend, but ended up taking it back because the signal strength was so low.

According to AT&T, I'm in one of the higher areas as far as signal strength goes, but when I am in my apartment (sitting about 10' from the patio) I get "no signal" or one bar. Outside my apartment I got 3 bars, which was decent, and then at various parts around town I get 2-5 bars, so the signal strength is good when on the road. I have 4 bars in Meijers parking lot, but when I enter the store and get to the middle, it takes me down to "no service" again.

I'm wondering if this is common for iPhones? Is it just AT&T's signal strength? I was thinking it might be possible that I had a janky iPhone, but without paying the restocking fee, I was not allowed to exchange it for a new one to try another.

I keep thinking to myself that I should give it another try and pick another one up (I'm only down 40$ due to the first restocking fee). I'm just curious if it was the phone, or if it was really poor signal strength / phone.
Mine seems to be comparable to my previous phone. No complaints for me on signal strength.

KTran

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
TX
i noticed that signal has been weak but calls weren't affected. except for one day and thas pretty much that. surfing is slow using edge.

Xtgirl

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I don't know if you had AT+T before this and are just noticing a difference with the iPhone, but it is pretty commonly known that AT+T uses a lower frequency which doesn't penetrate into buildings very well....much worse than VZW in that respect. This is prly what is happening to you. Reception is not incredible for me, but just good enough to keep a really fun device:laugh2:

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007

Compared to my Samsung BlackJack and my RAZR V3, the iPhone has much better signal strength in my calling area.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
Compared to my Samsung BlackJack and my RAZR V3, the iPhone has much better signal strength in my calling area.
Same with my area, my Motorola Rizr Z3 and Nokia 6110 Navigator had better signal strength. I have more dropped/failed calls in the middle of the night when talking to my girlfriend, only at night though.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Actually... in cellular, Lower Freq Carries further and penetrates better. I think AT&T mostly operates in the 800Mhz range. 1900 Mhz sucks, drops off faster and less penetration.. I used to do field tests for a cellular company.... heh..

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Actually... in cellular, Lower Freq Carries further and penetrates better. I think AT&T mostly operates in the 800Mhz range. 1900 Mhz sucks, drops off faster and less penetration.. I used to do field tests for a cellular company.... heh..
He's right. Think of it this way. What type of frequencies can you hear through walls more? Treble (like cybmals and and hi-hats) or Bass (that kick drum).

Lower frequencies (bass), have a much easier time penetrating through walls and other objects. So, the 800mhz wavelength that AT&T uses is actually better than what T-Mobile uses (1900Mhz). However, 800mhz also messes with electronic devices causing that static sound.

This also applies to phones as well. Remember 900mhz phones? They had better range than our current 2.4ghz phones today.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
He's right. Think of it this way. What type of frequencies can you hear through walls more? Treble (like cybmals and and hi-hats) or Bass (that kick drum).

Lower frequencies (bass), have a much easier time penetrating through walls and other objects. So, the 800mhz wavelength that AT&T uses is actually better than what T-Mobile uses (1900Mhz). However, 800mhz also messes with electronic devices causing that static sound.

This also applies to phones as well. Remember 900mhz phones? They had better range than our current 2.4ghz phones today.
If this is the case, why is that my Nokia 6682 has a better signal. I tested iPhone v/s Nokia in locations where the signal drops and is very weak. The Nokia scores better and the iPhone says No Signal. Its still the AT&T right?

I have been having more drop calls than before. This was not the case with Nokia. However, all I can say at the end is that the iPhone signal is not bad and not as good as Nokia.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Yesterday I was having a lot of problems talking with my daughter who is on Sprint. We finally just gave up we were having so many problems. I never have this problem when I use my Sprint phone. I'm going to monitor it as I try different locations around town (playing the Can You Hear Me Now game).

mom2twins

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
if you carefuly examine the way you hold your iPhone, the black part on the back is the antenna, there have been reports of your signal JUMPING 120%+ if u take your hands off the back part. i myself have experienced huge improvements when i just leave the phone on a table when a page is loading and such. try not covering the black area with your hands is a great tip.
Yikes! I have mine in a case I bought from the AT&T store...the bottom is exposed to be able to plug in..but for the most part, the black is covered. I haven't had a big problem so far, but THANKS for the tip!

Downer

Mar 11, 2007
Important question: Or are there faulty iPhones that have a bag signal?! My iPhone goes from 5 bars to 2 bars to no signal (No Service) within 10 seconds sometimes and then after a minute or so, it goes up again to 5 bars to 2 bars and so on and so forth, again down. What's going on here?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
My reception is fair. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the signal strength indicator (at least in my case) is worthless in determining if a call will go through or you will be able to hear it.

I was in my kitchen last night. I looked at the phone it had 5 bars, I did not move from this spot (the number was written on paper on the counter). While dialing the number on the pad my bars went from 5 to no service, I hit the call button and it went through and reception on both ends was fine. I finished the call, took the phone from my ear, the phone still said no service.

I have no clue what the hell the signal strength indicator does. That is still the biggest mystery around this phone for me.

muckymucky

Bronze
Aug 19, 2007
aye Bay~Bay~
Important question: Or are there faulty iPhones that have a bag signal?! My iPhone goes from 5 bars to 2 bars to no signal (No Service) within 10 seconds sometimes and then after a minute or so, it goes up again to 5 bars to 2 bars and so on and so forth, again down. What's going on here?
were your hands on the phone (covering the black part) for that "a minute"?

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
My reception is fair. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the signal strength indicator (at least in my case) is worthless in determining if a call will go through or you will be able to hear it.

I was in my kitchen last night. I looked at the phone it had 5 bars, I did not move from this spot (the number was written on paper on the counter). While dialing the number on the pad my bars went from 5 to no service, I hit the call button and it went through and reception on both ends was fine. I finished the call, took the phone from my ear, the phone still said no service.

I have no clue what the hell the signal strength indicator does. That is still the biggest mystery around this phone for me.
Haha, yeah sometimes mine does that too, it'll have no bars or say no service but for some reason I can still hear perfectly fine.

that girl on your avatar is hot.
Thanks.

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am coming from a blackjack which had the worse service and dropped calls all the time. I have not dropped one call since I switched and my phone now works at my office. I just got my iPhone though so maybe there is a difference in software. I know there are firmware updates and such but it seems that a lot of the problems I have read about on here deal with people with older iPhones and then people like me who have had theres a week or two don't experience these problems.

GX1

Aug 14, 2007
For me, the reception problem is the iPhone. I noticed if I hold the phone upside down, It picked up a much better signal. Also the signal bars just drop to "1 bar or no service" for no reason. Especially in excellent signal areas. My previous phones worked better. I am just waiting for the HTC Kaiser and I'm gone. The iPhone just isn't ready yet. I like it, but too many problems for a high priced product.