iPhone Recorder: a new killer-app for iPhone

coldrg

Mar 31, 2008

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
just seems to crash when i try to record (fw 1.1.4). there is an option in the settings to record in mono or stereo, but there is only one mic on the phone so how would it record in stereo? i don't think it can.

coldrg

Mar 31, 2008
I tested it fw 1.1.4, no problem

just seems to crash when i try to record (fw 1.1.4). there is an option in the settings to record in mono or stereo, but there is only one mic on the phone so how would it record in stereo? i don't think it can.
I tested it fw 1.1.4 with no problem, please install it with installer source.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
FYI: This is Trialware.

I went to the site, saw a "Buy Now" button and lost interest.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
Worked for me. Not bad. Useful options with the send to ringtone and what type you want to record it as (mp3, m4a, aac...)

A little overpriced at $29.95 though.

(60 second limit recording for evaluation purposes for those who wanna try.)

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
$29 dollar for an app are you insane? I doubt any app will cost that much once the app store is released.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
yes definitely thumbs down on this app...

I just installed Voice Notes from installer, and it pretty much does the same thing except for being able to send the recording straight to ringtones, or record in what type of file you want.

But, to save 30 bucks, you can just send them to your email, and convert them on your computer =)

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
I know exactly how I'll pay for this.....a little brain power and my trusty text editor :)

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
The idea behind the program is good. I like the options built in but, as already stated, $29.95 for a program that will be used rarely and only in special circumstances is a bit steep. If this were a program with daily use then maybe the price is fair but for basically a novelty program that does pretty much what voicenotes already does? I think I will pass as well. Drop the price to $10-15 then maybe.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
The amount of programming that went into the software as well as the flexibility in what you can do with the finished recordings justifies a $10 cost. I went ahead and downloaded it and tried it out. There are a couple of things that I didn't like about it right off the bat. First, it takes a full 5 seconds before recording starts after you press the record button. This would be fine when dictating something but if you need to quickly record the last few notes of a song to take to the music store and find out who it was singing that could be a problem as the song would end before the recording started. I played a recording that I made off my stereo and deleted it while it was still playing and although the recording didn't show in the list any longer, it kept playing with no possible means to stop it except to close the program down or allow it to finish playing to the end. Interesting software item but not something I can see using regularly.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
The amount of programming that went into the software as well as the flexibility in what you can do with the finished recordings justifies a $10 cost. I went ahead and downloaded it and tried it out. There are a couple of things that I didn't like about it right off the bat. First, it takes a full 5 seconds before recording starts after you press the record button. This would be fine when dictating something but if you need to quickly record the last few notes of a song to take to the music store and find out who it was singing that could be a problem as the song would end before the recording started. I played a recording that I made off my stereo and deleted it while it was still playing and although the recording didn't show in the list any longer, it kept playing with no possible means to stop it except to close the program down or allow it to finish playing to the end. Interesting software item but not something I can see using regularly.
I think there is an app that allows you to play a song to the iPhone and it will tell you who the artist and song is. I cant remember the name of the app though. I think I deleted it because it stopped working on my 1.1.3 fw.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think there is an app that allows you to play a song to the iPhone and it will tell you who the artist and song is. I cant remember the name of the app though. I think I deleted it because it stopped working on my 1.1.3 fw.
That was "Listen," developed by Erica Sadun, but it no longer functions due to legal issues.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
$30 is way too much for this. VoiceNotes can even send files to VoiceMail.

- John

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
If you were developing the app, you probably wouldn't be thinking $4.99...:)
If I were the developer, I would rather sell it for $4.99 to over 30 to 40+ people instead of maybe one or two people making the jump and buying it for $29.95.

I'm pretty sure I would reach a larger market that would find it easier to part with 5 bucks as opposed to 30. Thirty dollars for a voice application is way overpriced. I would love to know how many people have bought it at that price. Granted, I'm sure there are the handful that would buy it for $30. But just a handful. :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
If I were the developer, I would rather sell it for $4.99 to over 30 to 40+ people instead of maybe one or two people making the jump and buying it for $29.95.

I'm pretty sure I would reach a larger market that would find it easier to part with 5 bucks as opposed to 30. Thirty dollars for a voice application is way overpriced. I would love to know how many people have bought it at that price. Granted, I'm sure there are the handful that would buy it for $30. But just a handful. :)
I never said that $30 was a fair price -- I just think that $4.99 seems a bit low, especially if it gets a few good updates.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I know exactly how I'll pay for this.....a little brain power and my trusty text editor :)
Where online can I learn how to do this? This app doesn't interest me, but if another one comes along in the future...

Apr 1, 2008
Speaking of voice notes, is there anyway that i can get a recording from my phone to my pc so that i can make a ringtone out of it?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Voicenotes saves the files as the date_time.amr in the /var/mobile/Media/Recordings directory on your phone. If you can find a way to convert .amr files to a usable format you could copy them off and change them into ringtones.