iPhone restore problem

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rooster

Jul 28, 2007
Hey there!
Yesterday I forgot my passcode and decided to completley restore the iPhone via iTunes. Now, when I started the restore progress, this sign showed up, still the iPhone displays "Please Connect to iTunes".

Ideas, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rooster

Jul 28, 2007
Well, thanks a lot guys. I will defenitly try that when I get my hands on a Mac next time. Though I guess this is pretty rare, isn't it? After some research on Google, I couldn't find anyone who had the same problem.
But I hope that Mac is the solution (it always is ;))

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yup thats windeos for you, get a mac, you wont have that problem
Where are the champions against sarcasm now?

To the OP:
It's hard to say whether that message is an issue with memory on your iPhone or with your PC. To eliminate the latter, reboot and try running it again with nothing else loaded besides iTunes.

On the iPhone itself I would try holding down the power and menu keys till the iPhone shuts down (without using the on-screen slider).

Good luck and please report back.

--
Mike

Rooster

Jul 28, 2007
It's hard to say whether that message is an issue with memory on your iPhone or with your PC. To eliminate the latter, reboot and try running it again with nothing else loaded besides iTunes.

On the iPhone itself I would try holding down the power and menu keys till the iPhone shuts down (without using the on-screen slider).

Good luck and please report back.

--
Mike
I've tried this on two PC's so far, and yet the same problem.
The only thing my iPhone displays is a yellow !-triangel and the text
"Please Connect to iTunes", it doesn't matter how I restart it,

- Have tried to hold Power+Home-button but when it restarts its still the yellow triangel
- Have tried to use different computers and USB-ports, still the same problem
- Have NOT tried using a Mac...yet

Rooster

Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, i've seen that one, but its not quite like that, everywhere i read about it they faced "error code 1603", but I've never seen such.

I'll go to a friend with a Mac tomorrow and give it a try. Wish me luck...or something :)

B.t.w.
If it wouldn't work, isn't it a way to format the iPhone from My Computer or something like that? As it is now, it doesn't even appear in My Computer. Maybe there is some software that force the iPhone to be formatted?
Only thoughts...

Rooster

Jul 28, 2007
Fellow iPhone owners, the problem was solved. The secret was using a Macintosh.

Now this is very weird. How can Apple not have noticed this bug? I meen not everyone have a mac to turn to when the PC system is failing. So, if you ever facing the sign above and your iPhone shows the yellow triangle, remember this: Its not a "triangle of death", it's the triangle of go-and-restore-on-a-mac-system.

Good luck and thank you all for your help!

redgold

Aug 12, 2007
I had the same problem and I figured out something

I had the exact same problem with my PC. I was thinking about going to the Apple store for help. At the last moment, something hit my head. I changed my account to the Administrator, and it WORKED! I think iTunes was trying to get an access for some resources that are only available for Administrator. I am not sure of this, just my guess.
Now I has restored my iPhone about 5 times without a problem.

comep

May 17, 2008
Hey guys
i bought an iPhone about a month ago which was secondhand, practically new, and was already unlocked and jailbreak. it is 8gb and v1.1.4. I was happy with this investment i made until one day when in installer, it asked me to upgrade (to 3.1 i think?). i did and it was all fine until i found out all my previously downloaded apps couldnt be uninstalled as they were no longer under the unintall tab in installer. i redownloaded most of them and then uninstalled them, but some cant be downloaded again, it says "main script execution failed". the reason i wanted to uninstall everything is because 212.9mb are being used in the category "other" which im guessing is all these apps that are hidden and no longer can be uninstalled.
i wanted to restore my iPhone but then found out i had to download a 168mb file, which will take a week for me as internet connection here is slow, so i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find those download files and then use a download manager to download because if i download through iTunes, if i exit it i lose all that i downloaded.
Really want to restore as i will probably get rid of iPhone if i cant clear all that space as 8mb is barely enough for me?

Help will be really appreciated

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
First of all, welcome to EIC. You've found the best iPhone forum out there.

Now, if I understand your post correctly, all o your issues an be solved with an operation called SSH - no restoring will be necessary. The 'Main Script Execution Failed' error is common and can be solved. And the applications you wish to be uninstalled, can be removed via SSH.

SSH is a means of transferring files between two devices. In our case - your computer and and your iPhone. Go to this thread and read about SSH. It also contains instructions on how to establish an SSH connection. It's quite simple.

Note that SSH requires that your iPhone and computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. However, if you do not have Wi-Fi, there is another way. Download a program called iDemocracy here. Once you have downloaded it, plug in your iPhone and open the application. Once launched, look for the 'File Browser' tab and click on it. You're in.

Now, you need to find the /Applications folder. It is located in the top level of the drive, or the path /. Once you've found it, open it. In here all are the programs installed on the iPhone. In SSH, find the one you wish to uninstall, and press delete. In iDemocracy, fid the one you wish to delete, highlight it, and down at the bottom, select 'Delete File' and then click go.

As for your main script execution issue, the fix is pretty simple. Go here for instructions on how to fix it.

If you feel you still need to restore, just say so, and we can host the firmware - the file you needed - for download for you.

- John

Makk9

May 14, 2008
I've got a similar problem except the iPhone won't get into springboard and is just stuck on the Apple sign, i learned how to connect it to the computer.
I need a restore but everytime i download the file it cuts in the middle of the download and i can't resume it.
I've seen where to download the firmware file (ZiPhone thread somewhere around the forum) but i want to ask if i download say the 1.1.4 firmware file, will it automatically show up in iTunes and not force me to make the download or what? Help needed ASAP...

cheers, Makk

proone

Aug 2, 2010
Hi. I`m having some problems restoring my iPhone 3G.

The phone has stopped working, at all. Nothing works, except DFU Mode, from which I can`t even get out of.
I tried holding the power button for more than 10 seconds, I tried holding both the home button & the power button, all the basic keys and nothing - the display stays black.

When I connect it to my PC, iTunes starts and tells me that the phone is in recovery mode.
I downloaded the 3.1.3 ipsw file and selected it by clicking on Restore while holding the SHIFT key.
Restoring started normally, until "Verifying iPhone restore...", where I the following error:
The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).
and display turns off.

I tried different software versions, from 2.0 to 4.0.1. I even tried restoring to the automatically downloaded version by iTunes, and none worked. Every time it stops at the above error.

I searched all over the web for a solution and nothing worked.
I tried with different versions of iTunes and different operating systems.
Windows 7 - Latest version of iTunes, 9.1 & 9.0;
Mac OS X - Latest version of iTunes;
Windows XP - Tried with different versions but it can`t find driver for the phone in DFU Mode.

Sending it back to Apple isn`t a sollution as it is out of warranty and mostly because it would take more that a month and enough money to buy a brand new 3GS.

Please, if anyone can help, it would be awsome.
Thanks in advance.

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Could be a low battery- try charging it for a while

Could also be a messed up baseband-some how try restoring again in dfu

Or it could be anothet hardware issue. If you bought it used, it could be a high possibility.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app