iPhone Ringer -Can a custom ringtone make it as loud as N95?

will357

Dec 30, 2008
I am considering buying an iPhone3G. However one thing that has put me of is the reports that the ringtone is very quiet. I understand through searching the forums that this can be improved by changing the frequency an MP3 and creating a new ringtone in iTunes. My question does this solve the problem or does it just make it slightly louder? I have a Nokai n95 at the moment and the ringtone is very loud (I can hear it in busy bars etc). I used to have a Samsung and the ringer was very low and it used to drive me mad as I always missed calls? Can anyone offer advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I use Iringer as a way to enhance the ring tones for the iPhone. It does help but the iPhone does have an a low ring tone volume from its speaker.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
I have about 20 ring tones downloaded from audiko.net and some are louder than others. All of them are loud enough for me to hear at the bar or when my phone is in my disc golf bag. I am very impressed with the speaker on the 3G. My old iPhone (v1) had a very quiet speaker I couldn't hear it at all.

LeXi

Dec 15, 2008
I had an N95 prior to me getting a 3G and the ringer on the Nokia is incredibly loud, don't think you will ever get that out of the iPhone. The volume on the N95 was the only thing I like about the phone.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
You can set the iPhone to ring and vibrate at the same time, this helps a lot in noisey enviros.
As for the ring tone, I run it through 'audacity' first. I can amplify it inside this free program and add all kinds of effects to the sound before creating the mp3.
Once its an mp3 less than 30 seconds long I can make it a AAC then M4R.

Dec 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is like the one of the few problems I have with this phone, low ringer and the vibrate is not strong. I miss a lot of calls from this problem, but you will have a blast with this phone that you will keep pulling it out and noticed who called :) its worth it.. Believe me.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I am considering buying an iPhone3G. However one thing that has put me of is the reports that the ringtone is very quiet. I understand through searching the forums that this can be improved by changing the frequency an MP3 and creating a new ringtone in iTunes. My question does this solve the problem or does it just make it slightly louder? I have a Nokai n95 at the moment and the ringtone is very loud (I can hear it in busy bars etc). I used to have a Samsung and the ringer was very low and it used to drive me mad as I always missed calls? Can anyone offer advice?
I'm using a N95-2 8GB nowadays. The iPhone is just fun to use, play games on, and enjoy the amazing touch screen. But as an actual phone - since you're coming from a Nokia N95 - you'll find that it's nothing compared to the N95. The ringer is totally low, much lower than the N95's. Anyway, good luck on whatever choice you're going to make, although a 2nd generation iPod Touch seems to be a very good choice for you as long as you're not getting rid of the Nokia :p.